SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 U-Boat Missions Add On
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-28-08, 12:22 AM   #1
Schwuppes
中国水兵

Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0
Default So how good is U Boat Missions?

Hi everyone!

I have been playing SH3 with GWX for a while now... and now I'm thinking of trying SH4 again. However the first time I tired it I didn't like it that much.... I dunno I just don't like playing the american subs, and somehow the whole game just didn't feel right.

So I thought I'd give the U boat missions add-on a go. Can I start playing it straight away, or would it be better to play standard SH4 first?
I.e I don't want to miss out on any important story elements that might be interconnected between SH4 and U Boat missions. Also how is the patch situation... is U Boat missions stable and relatively bug free?

cheers!
E8400 @ 4.00Ghz standard vCore, Gigabyte P35C DS3R @ 445 Mhz, Leadtek GTX 280, 3 x 1GB Kingston DDR2 800 @ 890Mhz, 250GB +160GB HDD, Terratec DMX 6fire 24/96, Silverstone ST60F 600W, Logitech Z-5500 THX

Schwuppes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-08, 03:48 AM   #2
MDV_4life
Soundman

Downloads: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwuppes
Hi everyone!

I have been playing SH3 with GWX for a while now... and now I'm thinking of trying SH4 again. However the first time I tired it I didn't like it that much.... I dunno I just don't like playing the american subs, and somehow the whole game just didn't feel right.

So I thought I'd give the U boat missions add-on a go. Can I start playing it straight away, or would it be better to play standard SH4 first?
I.e I don't want to miss out on any important story elements that might be interconnected between SH4 and U Boat missions. Also how is the patch situation... is U Boat missions stable and relatively bug free?

cheers!
Ok sinse i have downloaded the u boat missions i will be so free to answer your questions .

Yes the German subs give you a whole different feeling and once you play with them i get the feeling i don't want to play with the US subs again.

I use the Spax sound mod with some changes like in the Thomsons sound mod. I.e. i removed the Yahoowl Herr Kallouin, edited sound sounds of the tubes firing (mixed them) and so on.

But now more about the game. I'm just starting to play and i had a problom with the TDC. You know the PK with the US subs ? .. well you don't have the visual picture of how your sub is against the target.
So you wil have to get familiar with this.

Why should you wait with playing the game? Yes i think you should first train for a couple of days with the US ones but then you're reading to go .

If you have some more questions feel free to ask.
Old 06-28-08, 03:57 AM   #3
Schwuppes
中国水兵

Downloads: 22

Hi thanks for the answer!

Is the manual targeting in U.Boat Missions similar to SH3 or OLC GUI?

And does U-Boat Missions have a dynamic career mode were I can play an entire carreer in the Pacific with a German U-Boat?
E8400 @ 4.00Ghz standard vCore, Gigabyte P35C DS3R @ 445 Mhz, Leadtek GTX 280, 3 x 1GB Kingston DDR2 800 @ 890Mhz, 250GB +160GB HDD, Terratec DMX 6fire 24/96, Silverstone ST60F 600W, Logitech Z-5500 THX

Schwuppes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-08, 11:56 AM   #4
Frame57
Sea Lord

Downloads: 2

I think you will like it. I got burned out on SH4 and this gave it new life. Yes there are dynamic campaigns. You get to choose a few ports, all that have various missions. There are some surprizes in it, so I will not spoil your fun here. definitely fun, Ubisoft did good on this one, and I have had no "bugs". The only draw back is that my crew does not speak german????
Frame57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-08, 12:25 PM   #5
MDV_4life
Soundman

Downloads: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frame57
I think you will like it. I got burned out on SH4 and this gave it new life. Yes there are dynamic campaigns. You get to choose a few ports, all that have various missions. There are some surprizes in it, so I will not spoil your fun here. definitely fun, Ubisoft did good on this one, and I have had no "bugs". The only draw back is that my crew does not speak german????
Did you tryed a sound mod ? :p

I'm sure you're gonna like it. Why not like it when you enjoy playing SH4.
Well i never payed a single buck for the game so i can't be disapointed really but its a great game
Old 06-28-08, 03:33 PM   #6
Frame57
Sea Lord

Downloads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDV_4life
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frame57
Did you tryed a sound mod ? :p

I'm sure you're gonna like it. Why not like it when you enjoy playing SH4.
Well i never payed a single buck for the game so i can't be disapointed really but its a great game
No, Have not ried a sound Mod. The reason is that I find when I try to Mod Sh4 all I get are system crashes.
Frame57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-08, 09:30 PM   #7
Monica Lewinsky
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwuppes
Hi everyone!
So I thought I'd give the U boat missions add-on a go
I LOVE it!

Sink them all!
Monica Lewinsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-08, 01:02 PM   #8
Gigalocus
Seaman

Downloads: 0

Hey, I've only fooishly found out about this expansion ... only 5months late.

From the sounds of it, its exactly what I'm looking for! I however have some questions.

1)Does it do anything to help out graphical issues? In Vanilla, despite having a top notch computer, my SHIV had very very poor visuals. Unifroms glowed green, lines were constantly blurry, with the main outline of things shaking, even at close range.

I was expierencing nowhere near the graphics official screenshots show, but not even close to to yours , couple this with the glowing green belts, hats, arms and bright red control room. So does Uboats help me in anyway with this? Or am I missing something?

2) Anywhere I can get it cheap ?

3) Are only the IX and XXI Uboats available?

4) How well does it hold up historically? Does the campaign map advance like it should ala SHIV or SHIII (Losing ports, less surface fleets etc?)

5) Will I finally be up agaisn't British ships again? :p Or will I expect the USN in India?

6) What's the Admiral Hipper, Graf Spee, Duestcheland etc doing in Asia?

7) Are there new allied surface ships?

8) Any stability problem? Will I crash if I hit Alt or anything?

9) Any good mods avalible yet?

Thanks in advance.
Gigalocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-08, 01:17 PM   #9
raymond6751
Admirable Mike

Downloads: 421
Default OK

Well, there are a lot of positive posts here about the U-boat addon. My experience with it tells me you want to use it with mods. The reason is that the stock addon doesn't have good missions and campaign game.

I took my first boat all the way to Tokyo, expecting to encounter something...didn't.

There were no planned missions after that one...just go hunting.

I was disapointed too with the port of Singapore. They represented it like a jungle village with straw huts. This was a major city & port.

The mods, once again, will take UBI where it should have gone.
Old 07-14-08, 03:08 PM   #10
Raptor1
Navy Seal

Downloads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigalocus
Hey, I've only fooishly found out about this expansion ... only 5months late.

From the sounds of it, its exactly what I'm looking for! I however have some questions.

1)Does it do anything to help out graphical issues? In Vanilla, despite having a top notch computer, my SHIV had very very poor visuals. Unifroms glowed green, lines were constantly blurry, with the main outline of things shaking, even at close range.

I was expierencing nowhere near the graphics official screenshots show, but not even close to to yours , couple this with the glowing green belts, hats, arms and bright red control room. So does Uboats help me in anyway with this? Or am I missing something?

2) Anywhere I can get it cheap ?

3) Are only the IX and XXI Uboats available?

4) How well does it hold up historically? Does the campaign map advance like it should ala SHIV or SHIII (Losing ports, less surface fleets etc?)

5) Will I finally be up agaisn't British ships again? :p Or will I expect the USN in India?

6) What's the Admiral Hipper, Graf Spee, Duestcheland etc doing in Asia?

7) Are there new allied surface ships?

8) Any stability problem? Will I crash if I hit Alt or anything?

9) Any good mods avalible yet?

Thanks in advance.
2. Pretty much anywhere, no?

3. IX-D2 and XVIII, no XXI

4. It's not that realistic, more of a what-if campaign (The ports and stuff are taken historically though, I think)

5. Yeah, tons of British to sink

6. Well, Scheer was in the Indian Ocean for a while, but they are kinda unhistorical

7. Think they have the Black Swan and a few merchants or something like that

8. Nope

9. Yes, Operation Monsoon makes the campaign more historical

Overall, I recommed it
Old 07-14-08, 09:27 PM   #11
rls669
Torpedoman

Downloads: 0

I've stuck with SH3 and GWX so far, but I'm tempted by the U-boat add-on for SH4. One question: does 1920x1080 widescreen work properly?
rls669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-08, 06:15 AM   #12
keltos01
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 114
Uploads: 18

get the add on, and if you're tired of the german boats try my Jyunsen B - Kaidai -Kaichu IJN submarines mod version 2.1, you'll get 3 different types of boats, and the famous "long lance" japanese topedoes.

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=137761

keltos

download link :

http://files.filefront.com/v+21+IJN+.../fileinfo.html

And install this patch on top of the mod :

http://files.filefront.com/UPCDataGE.../fileinfo.html

then you'll get the AA crew

keltos01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-08, 10:17 AM   #13
Bosje
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 89

so.... much like some other posters on this thread, I am loving SH3 with gwx while I got bored with SHIV after a couple of days. Love the sailing, hate the combat. Doesn't feel right to me, too.

Currently contemplating to get my hands on the addon, after watching some screenies and vids.

my main question: I heard something about the GWX team being on this, to provide us with a dynamic Atlantic campaign including all the excellent stuff we are spoilt with on SH3 GWX, but inside the SHIV engine. That would mean sailing from France in a Type VII, hunting the halifax convoys etc etc etc, only with the added benefit of the SHIV eye candy experience.

is this even remotely correct? if so, can someone pinch me?
Old 07-18-08, 10:24 AM   #14
PanzerBoxb
Watch

Downloads: 26

/pinch

I have read they are working on it but they are not anticipating a release until sometime well into 2009.
PanzerBoxb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-08, 10:29 AM   #15
Bosje
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 89

maybe ubi can just hire those wizards and have them looking over the devteam's shoulders as they create a new game, taking the best from GWX, SH3 and SH4 while making a historically accurate subsim game.

they could call it, say, SH5