Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-31-14, 06:27 PM   #16
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolferz View Post
Hopefully you never see a problem like the one I found on a customer's new Caprice. He complained of a banging noise coming from the back of the car every time he made a turn. He wasted his time at six different dealers before bringing it to me. I took her out for a spin and sure enough there was a banging noise coming from the right quarter panel sail area. I pulled the car straight into the body shop and had them cut that section open with an air chisel and we found a glass Coke bottle dangling on a string tied to a nut in there. The bottle had been heated just enough to shove the nut down the neck. There was also a little note in there that read; "HA HA HA You finally found me!"

Assembly line work gets a tad boring I guess.
or a repo, my last truck was a repo from the next state over with 300 miles on it. I know its a repo because they filled the airbox smack full of oak leaves so I finally checked the air filter to see why my mileage and power sucked and boom leaves came pouring out.

you are probably right about the bottle being assembly line but they also lie and sell repos as new vehicles if they have limited miles on them.

they got me because they got it from Mississippi and said it had to be driven to new Orleans so that's where the miles came from

near as I could tell the guy never made the payments so they took it back and resold it to me still claiming it as new but of course I cant prove anything but its kinda obvious it wasn't new with it full of leaves since there are no trees on the car lot and the leaves can only get in there if put there by hand. im just glad that's all he did to it but if he did put anything in the gas it never hurt anything
Old 08-31-14, 07:53 PM   #17
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webster View Post
I will start out with mine:

2014 Silverado 1500 2WT
regular cab short bed
5.3L v8
3.08 gear ratio
mfg date 5/14
came with 4 miles on the truck
came with bridgestone dueler ht 684II tires 255/70R17
steel rims with the "chrome look" ss hubcaps
bought 8/27/14

I first noticed it on the ride home but put 230 miles to see if it was a flat spot tire before i went to dealer when it didn't go away.

dealer confirmed they felt the vibration and stated the tires had gflat spots that needed to be worked out and chevy policy was the truck needed to have 500 miles on it before they would replace the tires. they also agreed to comp me a full tank of gas to go run the truck to reach 500 miles. I think he lied to me but he claimed they would replace all 4 tires with new ones and check the front end alignment at that time. I think he lied because from what I read they only replace one tire at a time until its decent enough to claim they no longer feel the vibration that people dsay it still has with thos dealer tires on it.

in researching I see the bridgstone dueler ht tires and the goodyear tires have many complaints about vibration issues just from buying them unrelated to the vehicle they go on so its safe to say stock tires are crap either way even if they aren't the main issue.
Webster,

The Bridgestone Dueler HT tires are ok tires and likely not your issue. We never experienced flat spots or vibration issues. Furthermore, flat spots are really a thing of the past and mostly affects bias ply tires. The newer radial design is far superior. These tires would have to sit for years to really develop a flat spot. However, as the Duelers wear the sipes are no longer useful at the edge of the tread face and they become dangerous in the rain. Hydoplane is a problem with these crap tires. I had a set on my wife's truck. It was all over the road when the tread sipes on the shoulder were worn enough to not allow water to channel off. I dropped them like a bad habit and installed a set of Cooper's. Damn fine tire. As far as the tire balance..if the "mechanic' is worth his weight he should be able to find and fix any lateral run out the tire if there is any present. Also, sometimes a tire requires to be spun 180 degrees on the wheel to help set the bead evenly and prevent run out. All of this sounds great but I suspect the tires are not the issue.

Ok, the vibration issue. GM is famous for letting their cars and trucks leave the factory without a balance on the drums and or rotors. These items do spin and require to be balanced. I spent 2 years chasing a vibration that would shake the passenger seat at 45mph. I replaced the rims and tires. I worked at Goodyear at the time and did the work myself. Therefore the balance was dead on! The vibration persisted. After many miles and baffled I narrowed it down to the right rear wheel assembly. Removal of the wheel and checking for balance found no issue. Further inspection of the drum revealed no balance weight on the drum. The drum was replaced by GM and the vibration was gone.

Try to pin point the location of the vibration. Hard to do but after many miles of you butt shaking you can pin point it.

And a final note....the GM product of mine that vibrated like 25 cent whore house bed was the last GM product that I purchased. The vehicle was a disgrace.

Sorry you got stuck with this GM problem. I can understand you frustration. I was very frustrated with mine. Don't get me started on the VW Passat I had.
Old 08-31-14, 07:54 PM   #18
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Quote:
or a repo, my last truck was a repo from the next state over with 300 miles on it. I know its a repo because they filled the airbox smack full of oak leaves so I finally checked the air filter to see why my mileage and power sucked and boom leaves came pouring out.

you are probably right about the bottle being assembly line but they also lie and sell repos as new vehicles if they have limited miles on them.

they got me because they got it from Mississippi and said it had to be driven to new Orleans so that's where the miles came from

near as I could tell the guy never made the payments so they took it back and resold it to me still claiming it as new but of course I cant prove anything but its kinda obvious it wasn't new with it full of leaves since there are no trees on the car lot and the leaves can only get in there if put there by hand. im just glad that's all he did to it but if he did put anything in the gas it never hurt anything
Sometimes squirrels will fill parts of a car or truck with leaves. The squirrels eat the wiring of my wife's uncles car.
Old 08-31-14, 07:58 PM   #19
Wolferz
Navy Seal

Downloads: 52
Quote:

Nope, it wasn't a repo. I've seen air cleaners stuffed full of dog food. Not by human hands either. Mice and Chipmunks love little cozy homes on a carport. Especially when the dog dish is right there. It is possible yours got lined as a winter residence for a rodent. But, the disgruntled owner does seem plausible too. Which is really a dumb thing to do if you're ride is getting repossessed. They sell those at auction for whatever they can get and the loan holder gets left owing the difference. I lucked out on one of those deals one time, because I turned the vehicle in to them undamaged in any way. I only owed $50.00 for storage.

Tomorrow never comes
Wolferz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-14, 08:03 PM   #20
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Quote:

if anyone is surprised by hearing this stuff, google 2014 Silverado vibration issues and you will see this is a huge widespread problem yet nothing is said about it on the news at all

This is fairly common among all manufacturers. However, if you think 500,000 units are sold and 50,000 have this issue...doing it by the number it is not as widespread as you would think. It only becomes news when several people get injured or worse...dead. Like the ignition switch problem GM hid for a decade.

What is the LEMON LAW in your state? Some states have a law stating that a new vehicle with the same issue is addressed 3 times and not resolved the manufacturer takes the vehicle back and replaces with another and or the down payment is returned with loan paid off.
Old 08-31-14, 08:04 PM   #21
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Nope, it wasn't a repo. I've seen air cleaners stuffed full of dog food. Not by human hands either. Mice and Chipmunks love little cozy homes on a carport. Especially when the dog dish is right there. It is possible yours got lined as a winter residence for a rodent. But, the disgruntled owner does seem plausible too. Which is really a dumb thing to do if you're ride is getting repossessed. They sell those at auction for whatever they can get and the loan holder gets left owing the difference. I lucked out on one of those deals one time, because I turned the vehicle in to them undamaged in any way. I only owed $50.00 for storage.
Yeah man, I have seen complete nests in cars. Usually up by the cowling. Hell, Honda had a recall on one of their models. The car apparently attracted some type of spider. Not sure how it was handled.
Old 08-31-14, 08:39 PM   #22
Wolferz
Navy Seal

Our tune up guy was handed a brand new Caprice off the lot to fix after they discovered it wouldn't start. It was back in the early 80's right after GM started putting ECM computers in the cars. It was a v-6 and he discovered that it was only firing the plugs on the left bank cylinders. The right bank was totally dead. He scratched his head over that one all day. Replaced the chip twice, then replaced the ECM, again, twice and it still wouldn't run. I finally suggested that he go get another identical unit off the lot and switch the ECM's. Both ran perfectly.
Slap on the FM sticker and get them out of here.

I'm still researching your problem, Webster. I didn't forget about you.
So far, I've only found one reply from an alleged GM certified master mechanic who suggests that a .033 shim needs to be placed under the motor mount on the drivers side. It is possible that normal engine vibrations could be transferred into the frame. That mount is very close to the steering connector shaft. If it hits harmonic resonance at the speeds you've indicated, coupled with road conditions, it's very possible for it to be felt a little in the steering wheel and more so through the rest of the chassis.

Tomorrow never comes

Last edited by Wolferz; 08-31-14 at 08:59 PM.
Old 08-31-14, 09:23 PM   #23
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Our tune up guy was handed a brand new Caprice off the lot to fix after they discovered it wouldn't start. It was back in the early 80's right after GM started putting ECM computers in the cars. It was a v-6 and he discovered that it was only firing the plugs on the left bank cylinders. The right bank was totally dead. He scratched his head over that one all day. Replaced the chip twice, then replaced the ECM, again, twice and it still wouldn't run. I finally suggested that he go get another identical unit off the lot and switch the ECM's. Both ran perfectly.
Slap on the FM sticker and get them out of here.

I'm still researching your problem, Webster. I didn't forget about you.
So far, I've only found one reply from an alleged GM certified master mechanic who suggests that a .033 shim needs to be placed under the motor mount on the drivers side. It is possible that normal engine vibrations could be transferred into the frame. That mount is very close to the steering connector shaft. If it hits harmonic resonance at the speeds you've indicated, coupled with road conditions, it's very possible for it to be felt a little in the steering wheel and more so through the rest of the chassis.
best way to describe it is it feels like a tie rod end that's got slack letting it wiggle when you hit just the right speed on a smooth road when slightly accelerating to put outward (or maybe inward) pressure on the front of the tires. at least that's what I "think" it feels like after having chased down lots of worn out front end parts over the years.

from what I read the list of GM suggested causes is:

rear end gears
shim the rear end angle for being too straight inline u-joint issues
drive shaft out of balance or twisted/out of round
electronic power steering freaking out on smooth patch of road unable to sense road feedback so it rapidly checks side to side steering slack
shimming the drivers side motor mount (I thought this was something about correcting the drive shaft alignment)
cheap grade of factory tires being out of round and tell customers its flat spots
wheels and or rims out of balance or tread/belt is crooked on the tire
its normal for trucks to shake so tell customer its supposed to be that way

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVGWarhawk View Post
What is the LEMON LAW in your state? Some states have a law stating that a new vehicle with the same issue is addressed 3 times and not resolved the manufacturer takes the vehicle back and replaces with another and or the down payment is returned with loan paid off.
here in Louisiana it takes 4 unsuccessful repairs for the same issue to force the dealer to fix or "replace" the vehicle but the key is since they can claim its not a safety issue they can get away with saying its a normal condition and not something that needs to be repaired. after that lemon law cant help you because its not a safety issue to make the vehicle unsafe or unusable. you get stuck in that grey area between whats right and the letter of the law as to what they "have to" do.

it is my understanding thou that GM dealers want a good reputation so they work out a deal on taking the truck in trade at "not much" of a loss and get you into another vehicle but that's only after you get to the lemon law part

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVGWarhawk View Post
Webster,

The Bridgestone Dueler HT tires are ok tires and likely not your issue. We never experienced flat spots or vibration issues. Furthermore, flat spots are really a thing of the past and mostly affects bias ply tires. The newer radial design is far superior. These tires would have to sit for years to really develop a flat spot. However, as the Duelers wear the sipes are no longer useful at the edge of the tread face and they become dangerous in the rain. Hydoplane is a problem with these crap tires. I had a set on my wife's truck. It was all over the road when the tread sipes on the shoulder were worn enough to not allow water to channel off. I dropped them like a bad habit and installed a set of Cooper's. Damn fine tire. As far as the tire balance..if the "mechanic' is worth his weight he should be able to find and fix any lateral run out the tire if there is any present. Also, sometimes a tire requires to be spun 180 degrees on the wheel to help set the bead evenly and prevent run out. All of this sounds great but I suspect the tires are not the issue.
well you cant believe most of what you read on the internet but from what I understand the tires they put on these factory vehicles are the lowest possible grade and NOT anything close to the ones you and I go buy at the retail tire dealers. I see comments about them being very low load and speed ratings and googling Bridgestone Dueler HT vibration out of round issues you see quite a few issues with them so there are "some" issues, the same goes for the goodyears but they also say the tires you buy don't have those issues and aren't the same as the ones on these trucks weather they are lower quality rejects or just made without the same QC as the retail tires are

bridgestone tire vibration issues: https://www.google.com/search?q=Brid...oe=&gws_rd=ssl

personally I have had lots of problems with bridgestones and dangerous blowouts because I think they make the rubber too hard to claim high mileages but I never had any problem with goodyears, Uniroyal, or general tires

Last edited by Webster; 09-01-14 at 08:19 AM.
Old 09-01-14, 12:25 AM   #24
em2nought
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 0

I've never had a bad Dodge, and I've never had a good Chevy. Just for the record.
Old 09-01-14, 06:20 AM   #25
Wolferz
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by em2nought View Post
I've never had a bad Dodge, and I've never had a good Chevy. Just for the record.

Never had a Dodge lock up its front disc brakes? You're lucky.

My dad was a dyed in the wool Dodge truck owner and I had to replace the bakelite caliper pistons on every one that he owned with stainless steel pistons. It happened so often, that I started automatically doing the work on every truck he purchased, before they had a chance to seize.

Oh, my Chevy truck has 168,000 miles on it and it runs like a top. Granted, the sheet metal is suffering from sodium cancer but, that comes with the territory for any vehicle you own and drive in a snowy region.

Tomorrow never comes
Old 09-01-14, 01:39 PM   #26
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Never had a Dodge lock up its front disc brakes? You're lucky.

My dad was a dyed in the wool Dodge truck owner and I had to replace the bakelite caliper pistons on every one that he owned with stainless steel pistons. It happened so often, that I started automatically doing the work on every truck he purchased, before they had a chance to seize.

Oh, my Chevy truck has 168,000 miles on it and it runs like a top. Granted, the sheet metal is suffering from sodium cancer but, that comes with the territory for any vehicle you own and drive in a snowy region.
my cousin has a 2005 ram 1500 and he hated it ever since he bought it.

never heard of the brake lockup thing but he did say his goes through brake pads faster then it should.

since he bought it he has had 2 tranny rebuilds, u-joints went out (all under warranty), wears tires and brakes out way too fast, guzzles gas, engine always ran rough and had a miss since day one they could never fix, and after only having it 6 years the clear coat on the roof and hood of his dark blue truck turned solid white
Old 09-01-14, 05:01 PM   #27
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

I went put another 300 miles on it today so I meet their required 500 miles to fix the tires and this time I paid super extra careful attention to the vibration and its all 100% in the seat and nothing is coming from the steering wheel, the seat was shaking me so I thought the steering had a little vibration too but with a light fingertip feel I could tell the wheel is rock solid smooth so its the back end as in rear tires or drive train issue
Old 09-01-14, 06:52 PM   #28
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Quote:
I went put another 300 miles on it today so I meet their required 500 miles to fix the tires and this time I paid super extra careful attention to the vibration and its all 100% in the seat and nothing is coming from the steering wheel, the seat was shaking me so I thought the steering had a little vibration too but with a light fingertip feel I could tell the wheel is rock solid smooth so its the back end as in rear tires or drive train issue

Check to see if the rear rotors/drums are balanced. Maybe suggest the service manager take look or possibly replace them thus eliminating these as the possible culprit.
Old 09-01-14, 07:14 PM   #29
Wolferz
Navy Seal

Quote:
If it isn't the tires, it's the drive line.
Switching tires front to back and vice versa should narrow it down.
Otherwise it's the prop shaft or in the rear axle....
Out of balance or improperly shimmed pumpkin...
Bad yoke or ring gear, or a bad axle shaft and/or bearing.
It could also be a bad transmission mount. With many of the parts being made in China these days. It's like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're going to get.

Tomorrow never comes
Old 09-02-14, 11:52 AM   #30
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0

Have you tried the same speed with a load in the back or a small towable trailer?

See how much a vibration meter would cost with a print out sd card and try a bicycle tire to strap it on and tow it for another print out along with a GoPro camera recording the event.

Send copy to dealer and GM with bottom note to attorney and USA Today.

You'll get some attention and a new 2015 with optional better tires is possible ...

Don't let them get to you is the bottom line
Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cars, chevy, pickups, trucks