Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

It's all over here folks ... nothing left to see

Everyone spend their money well

http://www.businessinsider.com/us-ma...11-2016-2016-8

Quote:
The Dow Jones Industrial Average ticked to a historic high just ahead of the noon hour on Thursday. The 128 point gain, or 0.7%, has run the DJIA above the 18,600 level for the first time on record. Additionally, both the S&P 500 (+0.5%) and the Nasdaq (+0.5%) hold onto solid gains.
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-16, 07:29 PM   #182
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

The FTSE is in a similar position. Now is the time to sell perhaps.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-16, 09:43 PM   #183
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

http://www.freep.com/story/money/bus...mber/88759112/

Quote:
Ruby Tuesday plans to close 95 of its 724 restaurants by September as it tries to cut costs and stem losses.

The company says it has been losing money because of increased competition and a decline in consumer spending on casual dining.

The Maryville, Tenn.-based chain said last week that it lost $27.6 million, or 46 cents per share, during its fourth quarter
or achievement

Old 08-16-16, 01:37 AM   #184
em2nought
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Quatro View Post
Can't have anything to do with the three hours it took to finish our meal from the time we sat down til the time we left the table?
Old 08-16-16, 10:17 AM   #185
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by em2nought View Post
Can't have anything to do with the three hours it took to finish our meal from the time we sat down til the time we left the table?
It has been 14 years since I ate at a Ruby Tuesdays, but the meal was very good and the friends I ate with made it better.

Sorry you had a bad experience.
or achievement

Old 08-19-16, 05:35 AM   #186
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkel Neal View Post
In Feb I invested heavily in energy: BP, Kinder Morgan, Exxon. Price of oil is low due to oversupply, but that won't last forever....

KM up 47% this year, this makes me happy

http://www.fool.com/investing/2016/0...u-need-to.aspx

Olin and TSM also going strong. BP, so-so. Exxon was killing it at $95 before their P&L showed the worst quarter in 17 years. It will get better when Oil tightens.
Old 09-19-16, 10:57 AM   #187
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Kmart is closing 64 stores across 28 states: http://www.businessinsider.com/kmart...ll-list-2016-9

Sears Holdings, which owns Sears and Kmart, informed Kmart employees of the closures on Friday, according to local news reports and employees who spoke to Business Insider.

Quote:
Moody's analysts warned last week that Kmart doesn't have enough cash or access to cash to stay in business. Kmart has about 870 stores today, down from about 1,300 in 2012.
or achievement

Old 10-12-16, 10:23 AM   #188
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkel Neal View Post
KM up 47% this year, this makes me happy

http://www.fool.com/investing/2016/0...u-need-to.aspx

Olin and TSM also going strong. BP, so-so. Exxon was killing it at $95 before their P&L showed the worst quarter in 17 years. It will get better when Oil tightens.
Time to move Neal ... http://www.businessinsider.com/houst...h-says-2016-10

Houston's boom is over

Quote:
Houston was the largest contributor to economic growth in the US from 2010 to 2015, ahead of cities like New York, Dallas, and San Francisco. That was possible because oil prices were near $100 a barrel, the shale-oil revolution was gaining steam, and skilled workers from other states flocked there.

But when the tables turned in 2014, Houston came in direct contact with the most severe oil crash in a half century. The worst of the oil downturn appears to be over, but the same pace of expansion that Houston saw in recent years is unlikely to repeat itself.
or achievement

Old 10-12-16, 11:28 AM   #189
mako88sb
XO

Quote:
Time to move Neal ... http://www.businessinsider.com/houst...h-says-2016-10

Houston's boom is over
The province of Alberta went through the same thing back in the early 80's with the same dire predictions for the future. I was a carpenter apprentice back then and I remember one of our teachers pointing at the downtown skyline with 25% office vacancy here in Calgary and predicting no new construction for office buildings for at least a decade. As bad as things were at the time, it still eventually turned around and 5 years later, some new buildings were started downtown. Since then, we've had at least 2 full fledged oil boom cycles with many smaller ones along with the inevitable downturns. This downturn we are currently going through is definitely one of the worst but it seems after the turnaround happened in the past slowdowns, we were much busier than the previous up-cycle. Of course, this time could be different and maybe we are heading into uncharted territory, but I'm pretty skeptical about that.
mako88sb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-16, 12:22 PM   #190
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 61
Uploads: 20

Quote:
Time to move Neal ...
He's way ahead of you, now sunbathing on the glorious beaches of Sweden.

Oberon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-16, 01:08 PM   #191
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

^

But.. Simrishamn!

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-17, 02:08 PM   #192
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Good-bye Sears ... this is probably just the first step: https://www.yahoo.com/finance/video/...142557005.html

Quote:
Jan.05 -- Sears Holding Corp. will raise $900 million by selling off its Craftsman tool brand to Stanley Black & Decker in the third funding move for the company in the last two weeks.
or achievement

Old 02-15-17, 01:17 AM   #193
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Not so sure Warren Buffett is doing the right thing here ... He has been investing in Walmart since 2005 and now he is selling.

I don't have $900 million dollars like he does, but something seems odd about this.

Walmart just got me back with the two day shipping guarantee ... all I wanted was a couple of electrical items for under $10.00 so I paid the $5.95 shipping fee and got them in two days anyway. Cheaper than going all the way over the mountains to the store for sure.

Quote:
Warren Buffett's Berkshire Hathaway has sold off $900 million of Walmart stock, choosing to invest billions in airlines instead.

The sale, which leaves Buffett with nearly no shares in Walmart, comes as the US's largest traditional retailer has been rushing to catch up to Amazon and other online competitors.

Amazon's market value is now $356 billion, compared with Walmart's $298 billion. Last year, Buffett acknowledged that traditional brick-and-mortar retailers were struggling in the face of competition from the e-commerce giant.
http://www.businessinsider.com/warre...t-stock-2017-2
or achievement

Old 01-22-18, 09:05 PM   #194
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Let's see, market is going strong, and with the Tax Reform act, could be growing stronger.

Apple paying $38bn in tax to US treasury ‘a big, big moment’
For years US companies have played the tax game, but the rule are now changing
Old 01-24-18, 08:24 AM   #195
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Problem there is that needed structural reforms do not get carried out, Trump is not working on profound structures, but on symptoms. The effects therefore I expect to last not for too long. Reagan did the same, and had medium range benefits. Ater them ending, the state debts went way up. Also, the dollar is too weak compared to what the stock market values claim to indicate, which means that Amerina money by Apple may return to the US, but porivate investors moneya is being exported form the Us onto other stockmarkets, currently Europe, however strange that seerms to be. This is a vicious circle,. since it will klure more and more mnoney out of the Americna market, which then will shrink demand in the US.

I predict Trumponomics will party for two years, not longer.

And this, more fundamental cnsideration. Does anyone seriously belioeve that the real world material value of proucing industries and economies can rais ein in total values within one year by 20, 30, 40%...? Does anyone seriously believe a company that produces nothing, like facebook, seriously is worth dozens of billions of bucks...? Finally, the biog four, Micosoft, Google, Apple, buy off competitors, and do so just to remove them from the competition. We are talking about widenngn de facto monopolies and dependencies. Does anyone seriously believe there will be no mid- to long-term punishment from doing so?

One should never assess the state of an economy by the stockmarket graoh alone. Many famous and good stock traders do not look at such graphs even once, not for a single company, not for a whole economy system. Gamblers do that, hoping to get away with their bets. And some will. Myself, I place bets only with money I have in excess, I do not bet with money that I depend on.

Nothing new under the sun - expect what already has been fogotten. Although it is just one and a half decade ago...

Tags
market, stock, stocks