SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-10-07, 03:33 AM   #16
Alex
Dominant Wolf

Downloads: 30
Uploads: 0

Absolutely gorgeous, mate !!!!

Old 05-10-07, 04:59 AM   #17
Zuyax
Swabbie

Downloads: 21

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Quote:
...but they only grow along the shoreline.
yeah they do but Unfortunately I dont think there is much that can be done about that without better access to certain parts of the code

Quote:
I took a look at the .dds and yes, i think they are. Tried to resize them but don't look as nice then actually, and Kelp gets freaking big, that's a fact.
I have updated the origian post to include links to a new version in which I reduced the height of the plants by 50% for any which are bothered by the height of the full size set. As you noted they didnt look as good so I increased the texture size to compensate...It didnt make too much diference to my framerates but I guess if someone is just hovering on the edge of playability as it is then perhaps they might want to give the smaller height plants a miss.

Just for fun I did mess around with replacing the plants altogether and having schools of tiny fish in their place, but yeah I didnt really like the result in the end, hehe.

anyway have fun all and happy hunting!

Jan
Zuyax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-07, 10:50 AM   #18
SimJack
Watch

Downloads: 847
Great work on the plants................can you make the rocks disappear?
Old 05-10-07, 11:20 AM   #19
akdavis
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuyax
Thanks for the replies everyone.

Quote:
...but they only grow along the shoreline.
yeah they do but Unfortunately I dont think there is much that can be done about that without better access to certain parts of the code

Quote:
I took a look at the .dds and yes, i think they are. Tried to resize them but don't look as nice then actually, and Kelp gets freaking big, that's a fact.
I have updated the origian post to include links to a new version in which I reduced the height of the plants by 50% for any which are bothered by the height of the full size set. As you noted they didnt look as good so I increased the texture size to compensate...It didnt make too much diference to my framerates but I guess if someone is just hovering on the edge of playability as it is then perhaps they might want to give the smaller height plants a miss.
Yes, the way it implemented is a barrier, but let me offer a broader statement to indicate where I am coming from: my real issue is with the choice of giant plants to represent the covering of the ocean bottom globally in the game. This seems a very odd choice, as leafy plants in general (and giant kelps in particular) form a very small portion of the covering of the ocean floor. Giant kelp may be capable of growing to 300 feet (and this is truly extraordinary when it occurs), but that does not mean that where ever there is 300 feet of water, you will find giant kelp (or any large plants). To represent the floor of the ocean globally at all depths and all distances from shore, sand, mud, encrusted rock and filter feeders would be more appropiate. I think the desire to replace the obviously bizarre giant plants included by the devs with a "more realistic" plant is misplaced. Ideally, these plant objects could be used to give the sea floor more texture and depth without making it look like a scene out of 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea.
Old 05-10-07, 11:50 AM   #20
leovampire
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 0
Default You know what would be cool?!

If some time under water if we picked up biologics on the sound heads like a whale maybe even see one cresting from time to time while on the surface!

But reguardless great job on the plants guy and thanks!

Dave
leovampire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-07, 02:23 PM   #21
GSpector
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 11
Default Possible update

Any chance in the next update, you could shrink those rocks, not the kelp.

Biologicals would be great as a seperate mod. So anyone that can do it will make a lot of people very happy, starting with me.
Old 05-10-07, 03:37 PM   #22
CaptainCox
Sea Lord

Downloads: 4

Now that's a hard one...
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...=114029&page=2
I will try to figure that now and then...and anybody chipping in is welcome like I said before
Old 03-30-15, 12:40 AM   #23
CCIP
Navy Seal

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 2

Hi folks,

A quick request: does anybody have a copy of this file?

There are only forty people in the world and five of them are hamburgers.
-Don Van Vliet
(aka Captain Beefheart)
CCIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-15, 02:24 AM   #24
GSpector
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 11

Is this the file you are referring to:
Kelp_Forests_1_1.zip

If so, I wish I could help but I can't even find it on the internet and the link here, as I'm sure you already found out, was hi-jacked by another site.