SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop > SH4 Mission Designers' Forum
Forget password? Reset here

Closed Thread

Old 10-19-09, 11:29 PM   #91
Starforce2
Planesman

Downloads: 25
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrsubron7 View Post
Try this link here.

I think something needs to be said here and I'm sorry if I'm being difficult. So here it is.

All of the missions that I've made in recent times have been done using TMO v1.7 and RSRDC (latest version) as I've stated every time I post a new mission. If you and Starforce wish to rework my missions so they will work with the stock game, I'm going to give you both permission to rework them. I'm sorry to say that I neither have the time nor do I want to make the effort to convert all missions for stock.

I will try to help out with any of my older missions that won't play anymore, but will not redo missions just for the stock game that play perfectly well on my computer.

I apologize if I've upset either of you with my feeling on this and if you don't want to promote my missions anymore I'll understand.
Ok, well in the case there's little point in me going any further with this, Unless webster and Co are in it to the end as far as making them compatable with stock, in which case I'll continue to test missions and fixes that are produced and maybe try toying with a few myself, however, refering back to the first post:
Quote:
Originally Posted by WEBSTER View Post
tambor198's sh4 single missions for v1.4 & v1.5
================================================== =========================
These missions are being touted as 1.4 and 1.5 compatable. If they are not, then that peice of misleading text should be removed. I was testing and offering to host these under that assumption, but if half are going to crash then it's been a waste of time. Don't get me wrong, the ones that worked were great to play, even having to engage a DD on the surface in an S-boat gun dual, but from the standpoint of trying to get more files to host to increase the popularity and recognition of the new hosting site..a waste..since I can't post something that's going to desktop people half the time. While your above post doesn't really anger me I am dissapointed. I can't even play TMO if I wanted too. I can't figure out how to install it. PM's go unswered for days, and what threads I've amde or posted in or looked up seem to direct me to a different answer ever time, sometimes giving me a list of files some of which are not available or conflict one another saying I need the hot fix or service pack and the next I don't. Now there's this beta out too? I can't even get someone to give me a strait answer on how the frack to install it and what files are needed and I tried to register on the beta forum for TMO and my hotmail and gmail aren't allowed *sigh* not that it would do me any good. Sounds like it's as hard to play as GWX was for SH3 even on easy and I never got a succesfull attack on that mod..too hard and killed my interest to play.
Old 10-19-09, 11:37 PM   #92
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peabody View Post
Did you change the Type= number to match the ship you putting in?

Peabody
i made sure that the replacement ship i used was of the same class for the sake of the mission and as for the ship type, yes i confirmed i was using a ship of the same Type= number to match the original.

the problem is a misscommunication about some of these missions, the majority work with stock but not all of them will.

the missions work as they are as long as you use RSRDC so that the non stock ships are present in the game or you get the CTD.

i missunderstood thinking that all of these missions are going to work in the stock game, but it looks like i need to replace all the non stock ships in some of them and others may just have to be removed as not compatable with stock.

EDIT: sending you a PM with a link to my file so you can look it over

Last edited by Webster; 10-20-09 at 12:16 AM.

Old 10-19-09, 11:39 PM   #93
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Downloads: 305
Uploads: 1

Ships in TMO + RSRDC

Head Deep and Keep'em Astern" - LtCDR Samuel D Dealy
SHIV Guide | Imperial Japanese Navy | US Submarines

Old 10-19-09, 11:40 PM   #94
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Downloads: 305
Uploads: 1

Ships in FOTRS

Head Deep and Keep'em Astern" - LtCDR Samuel D Dealy
SHIV Guide | Imperial Japanese Navy | US Submarines

Old 10-19-09, 11:58 PM   #95
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starforce2 View Post
Ok, well in the case there's little point in me going any further with this, Unless webster and Co are in it to the end as far as making them compatable with stock, in which case I'll continue to test missions and fixes that are produced and maybe try toying with a few myself, however, refering back to the first post:

These missions are being touted as 1.4 and 1.5 compatable. If they are not, then that peice of misleading text should be removed. I was testing and offering to host these under that assumption, but if half are going to crash then it's been a waste of time..

this is all my fault, and yes changes will need to be made so please dont expect cdrsubron7 to fix a problem that i created. i was trying to offer everyone a large group of missions on one easy mod so blame me if something isnt working right.

cdrsubron7 made these missions for his own use and I was the one who wanted to put them all together. he made them for his game using his favorite mods the way he likes to play the game and he went out of his way to make some of these missions work for the stock game when an issue came up with the ones i used for my GFO mod.

the rest of these missions are something that still need to be checked and i would apreciate it if you continue checking them so i can remove those that dont work for the stock game. when this is done i can edit the read me and reupload the amended files to remove those that dont work for the stock game.

Old 10-20-09, 12:23 AM   #96
Starforce2
Planesman

Ok, I'll keep testing. Also, I guess, just incase it was/will be mis interperated, I'm not accusing anyone of being intentionaly misleading..just to get that outa the way..

at any rate, those that do not work for stock (since there's clearly going to be alot of them) are we going to try and fix them too?

also, to requote a post I made above, which crdsubron7 thought he was answering:
Quote:
I am aware of this. However, my question was what files in the install do I check, not what files in the mission. If I were to convert one of these to fall of the rising sun, I'd need to compare the information (ship classes whatever you call them) in the mission files to something else to make sure they are listed the same for this mod.

Ok, you guys still are not understanding my question apparently. Ignoring the mission editor for a moment..where in the games file structure do I find the file with the correct type numbers such as:
Name=_JP DD Mutsuki#1
Class=DDMutsuki
Type=4
Which I assume is what changes from mod to mod for a given ship, IE with stock how they changed the yamato and iowa battleship type numbers so the old missions now crash. There's got to be a library in the game directory someplace of these..that's what I'm looking for.
I'm trying to ask what file the exact name class and type numbers are in. I can probably try just doing this in text editor. If I can get the hang of fixing these, I plan on doing some of my own, Mainly for FOTRS and 1.5.
Old 10-20-09, 01:45 AM   #97
peabody
Admiral

Downloads: 126
Uploads: 7

Quote:
Ok, I'll keep testing. Also, I guess, just incase it was/will be mis interperated, I'm not accusing anyone of being intentionaly misleading..just to get that outa the way..

at any rate, those that do not work for stock (since there's clearly going to be alot of them) are we going to try and fix them too?

also, to requote a post I made above, which crdsubron7 thought he was answering:

I'm trying to ask what file the exact name class and type numbers are in. I can probably try just doing this in text editor. If I can get the hang of fixing these, I plan on doing some of my own, Mainly for FOTRS and 1.5.
Ok, understand the question. The necessary info is in the Roster folder. Country folder then Sea folder and you have the necessary names of the ships. If it isn't there, then it is from a MOD, if you want to change it then you look for a ship of the same class: for example a DD find another DD that is stock and change the Class= to the DDstockname. So if you have a DDMutsuki.cfg then the Class name is Class=DDMutsuki and usually the Name=_JP DD Mutsuki#1. Notice the underline at the beginning. To check Name= you can open the .cfg file in notepad and the Displayname= at the top is the one to use, not the Unit name=. The mission Editor adds the underline at the beginning, I don't know why. You may run into some that are completely different. You can rename them in the Mission Editor, so you could end up with a ship called "Ralph".
Here is an actual example:

[Group 3.Unit 3]
Name=Ralph
Class=DDAkizuki
Type=4
Origin=Japan

The Subutu Passage is done, took about 10 minutes or less to do, I am going to rename it to include info for Stock version but credit to cdrsubron7 or Tambor198 whichever he prefers for writing and just that they have been converted to work with stock.

Here is the Sibutu Passage_Stock mission for whoever wants to keep the ones that are converted. I don't use the word 'fixed' because they were not broken.

http://www.filefront.com/14757901/Si...ssage_Stock.7z

And here is the Approaches to Singapore

http://www.filefront.com/14758107/Ap...apore_stock.7z
Peabody

System Spec: Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3, PentiumD Dual Core Presler 945 3.4Ghz, Gigabyte Geforce 7600GS, 2-1GB Corsair XMS2 800Mhz in Dual Channel, 2-WD 250 SATA 3Gb/s, Onboard Realtek HD 7.1 Audio, DVD ROM, DVD burner, Hiper 580 Watt Power supply, WinXP SP2.

Last edited by peabody; 10-20-09 at 03:42 AM.
Old 10-20-09, 09:13 AM   #98
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Ok, I'll keep testing.

you open the .mis file in the missions folder using windows "notepad" or something like it.

you will see every mission has the same basic info to construct and run the missions. (the .tsr file is for the mission breifing info)

this is where you can manually make your changes for missions that cant open with the mission editor for whatever reason.

the other files peabody mentioned are where you go to select or confirm what ships are to be used and the needed info to go with them.

these files are found inside the games directory files and they can also be opened and read using windows notepad but DO NOT EDIT the game files or you can cause many problems. the safest way is to make copies of them to use so if you make a mistake and change one it doesnt effect the game.

if you are going to make the missions FOTRS ready then they may already work since it was based on TMO to start with. it looks to me that most of the issues are related to RSRDC ships so check with lurker but i think the TMO version of RSRDC "might" work with FOTRS but only he knows for sure.

Old 10-20-09, 11:02 AM   #99
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

UPDATE:

this is the list of missions that are only going to work with the TMO + RSRDC mod installed and will probably work fine with only the RSRDC mod by itself.

Missions for TMO+RSRDC mods:

SM101 Approaches To Singapore (see post #97 for a stock version of this mission)

SM105 Sibutu Passage (see post #97 for a stock version of this mission)

SM108 Ambon Supplies

SM110 Crossroads

SM112 Southbound Convoys

SM122 Battle of Surigao Strait

SM123 Returning Home

SM126 Yellow Sea

SM129 Bohol Sea Encounter

SM133 Davao Gulf Recon

SM134 Northern Luzon Intercept

Old 10-20-09, 02:54 PM   #100
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
I cannot open SM110 Crossroads in the editor, but the mission plays fine.

if it wont open in mission editor it means theres a ship there thats not in your game (not in stock) so even if the mission works it will CTD at the point where that non stock ship enters the game so it will CTD at some point on you in the mission. for the editor to open the mission it must "see" all of the ships so this is an easy tip off that a mission isnt compatable with your game the way it is.

SM110 Crossroads is on my TMO+RSRDC missions list and i havent decided weather to split the list into stock missions and TMO+RSRDC missions or to try and convert the TMO missions to be stock versions.

it depends a lot on if peabody is even willing to do anything with them because he is very busy, he understands best how to edit them properly.

if he doesnt have the time i may try it but every time i try i havent done it correctly yet.

Old 10-20-09, 05:06 PM   #101
peabody
Admiral

Downloads: 126
Uploads: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by WEBSTER View Post
it depends a lot on if peabody is even willing to do anything with them because he is very busy, he understands best how to edit them properly.

if he doesnt have the time i may try it but every time i try i havent done it correctly yet.
Your list only shows nine that shouldn't be a big deal, I will try to look at them when I get a minute. Just let me know if you are doing any so we don't duplicate effort, I will PM you later, I have to leave for a while right now.

Peabody

System Spec: Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3, PentiumD Dual Core Presler 945 3.4Ghz, Gigabyte Geforce 7600GS, 2-1GB Corsair XMS2 800Mhz in Dual Channel, 2-WD 250 SATA 3Gb/s, Onboard Realtek HD 7.1 Audio, DVD ROM, DVD burner, Hiper 580 Watt Power supply, WinXP SP2.

Old 10-20-09, 07:14 PM   #102
Starforce2
Planesman

There's way more than 9, there's 21.

However, some are random group errors. I'm not sure what the one is because I can't tell what else the random group may have (atleast not in the editor) but one is the Iowa and yamato. Some do not crash the editor untill you zoom and so evidently when I played them I never encountered the rquired vessel.

Atleast 4 or 5 seem to have these akikase DD's as their only error, especially after #124

SM103
SM104
SM108
SM109
SM110
SM111
SM112
SM113
SM115
SM118
SM122
Sm123
SM124 (one ship)
SM125 (Akikasie again)
SM126 doesn't crash but gives random group error
SM127
sm129 appears to be 1.4 (the yamato and iowa issue)
SM130
SM131
sm133
SM134
Old 10-20-09, 08:01 PM   #103
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
There's way more than 9, there's 21.

Atleast 4 or 5 seem to have these akikase DD's as their only error, especially after #124
watch those names because many are very simular and can mix you up

you got me really looking closer and i do see a ship here or there thats out of place for stock. it kinda looks like every mission has at least one, and i guess that thats not that surprising since tambor198 (a.k.a. cdrsubron7) made them for TMO+RSRDC users.

i see an akikaze, momi, or akatsuki here or there but i never noticed having one less ship that failed to appear in the mission, i was mainly concerned with making sure the missions worked and nobody reported any problems untill you did. i could have corrected this a while back if i had known about it.

i can see i need to review and cleanup those errors because that one extra DD being there helps make the mission better and that extra DD could be the one thats gets you

its also funny how some non stock ships being in the mission can cause a ctd and yet others just dont show up and let the mission work fine i guess it must depend on weather they are spawned as part of another group of ships or not.

Old 10-20-09, 08:10 PM   #104
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

what do you mean by these statements?

SM126 doesn't crash but gives random group error

sm129 appears to be 1.4 (the yamato and iowa issue)

please give more details about what you found and whats not working because both of these crash in mission editor

Old 10-20-09, 08:33 PM   #105
Starforce2
Planesman

it means when I load it, there's a background popup that shows up (behind the editor in my case, check your task bar) and says random group error. (edit-after rechecking, it's that damn akikaze again)

SM129 error is explained here:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...=1#post1063616
It has to do with a type change, from 1.4 (battleship) to superbattleship in 1.5 I've not tried this fix to see if it works in practice.

Also, another question: Are there general merchants..meaning, merchants that can be jap but are not in the jap roster, IE generics used by all sides? Or are they required to be in the roster of the matching country to be used for that country?