Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-21-17, 12:27 PM   #1
ExFishermanBob
Difficulties Numbing

Downloads: 43
Uploads: 0

Default Deary me... More ill-informed research

https://phys.org/news/2017-11-husband-wife-surname.html

The problem being that female surname-change isn't that common a 'gender-role norm' in 'Western' societies (as claimed) and the paper is US-centric in that regard (there are different traditions in the UK, for instance, despite the paper claiming a single mode): not to mention that the very idea of a surname is not universal either (one might consider Scotland, where you can call yourself what you like, without using a Deed Poll or other legal device). [Added: if born in Scotland, that is]

http://www.kalzumeus.com/2010/06/17/...e-about-names/

Last edited by ExFishermanBob; 11-21-17 at 12:33 PM. Reason: Edited for clarity
ExFishermanBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-17, 01:23 PM   #2
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Actually, my wife, her sisters, and a great number of my female co-graduates chose to keep their own surnames. The more so in my wife's case as her first name 'Barbie' would make her a laughingstock in her public job as a DA when combined with my last name. When doing security in Social Security offices, I noted many newlywed brides, often from other countries, coming in to change their names....and not looking particularly happy about it-having given up all else for love!; at which point I would intervene: humorously explain my wife's predicament and explain that in California a lady's name change is not required. Many ladies had come from cultures where wives are a form of chattel ; it was cool to see the light in their eyes(aha!) in their new land. My manager, herself from a third world country, asked one day what exactly I was doing, and upon my explanation, very coolly said 'Keep doing that". Quite often the ladies would reconsider: either keeping the name or hyphenating both spouse's names. Moreover the case at that time for a man to change his name required a court appearance whereas a woman could merely show a checking account & marriage license with a new name. This has since been altered in California
Quote:
Either party (husband or wife) changing the middle and/or last name

The California Name Equality Act of 2007 (external pdf link) provides an option for one or both parties to the marriage to change the middle name and/or last name. So, you can opt to just change your middle name, while leaving your last name untouched. Or change both your middle and surname in one fell swoop. While the choice is yours (and quite flexible to boot), the decision must be made at the time you apply for your marriage license application. Specify the new name(s) you intend to take after marriage on the provided form
For once men are now equal to their better halves !!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-17, 02:05 PM   #3
ExFishermanBob
Difficulties Numbing

Downloads: 43

Ah, then my point about the paper being ill-informed stands and is perhaps re-inforced (well, and I note myself making assumptions, of course).
My wife has also kept her name - not only for professional reasons but there was no need to do otherwise. The chattel idea also varies with traditions of course (again, even in the UK, historically): I wonder - do gravestones record the occupants' names using their original surnames, or the 'married' name as it were? (in California and elsewhere).
As a side note, I sometimes use my wife's surname and am referred to by it, particularly if we book into a hotel, etc. It bothers me not at all (sometimes it is useful too - I have an unusual surname) - the idea that it would threaten my masculinity is amusing.
Lastly, with same-sex marriage, I wonder how enforced name-change would work. Does one member of a couple have to insist on keeping the name, or is hyphenation likely to become more common.
Frankly, I envy 'Spock' - he had it easy.
ExFishermanBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-17, 03:48 PM   #4
Buddahaid
Shark above Space Chicken

Downloads: 160

Only those uncomfortable with their masculinity would feel threatened.

"Tomorrow belongs to those who can hear it coming."
David Bowie
Buddahaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-17, 05:08 PM   #5
vienna
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85

Another unwanted consequence of taking a husband's surname: I know of one guy who when he married his wife, urged her to keep her maiden name rather than taking his name which is Hispanic, citing difficulties he had experienced; she opted to take his name; she was in university at the time and dully made an an official name change at the university office; the result was, at the next quarter, all her registration forms and class lists were sent to her in Spanish, which she did not speak...

<O>