SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-19-08, 03:45 PM   #121
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

Downloads: 65
Uploads: 3

Px3k,
OLCE2 is not compatible with the "Enhanced" Damage Effects mod.
Old 04-19-08, 04:20 PM   #122
Tomcattwo
Loader

Downloads: 2
Uploads: 0

OLC,
Once again, an outstanding job on your mods, and may I also provide a personal "Thank You" for version 1.1 of the Ubermod - It was GREATLY appreciated that you split OLCE and OLC GUI because it gives us all much more flexibility in how we set up and run our SH3 installs.

I have your ubermod set up and running just fine in GWX 2.1 with Rubini's water stream mod, Racerboy's exhaust mod, Phoenix's English to German labels for Ubermod, my SH3Speech mod, and a bunch of other stuff and all is working well. The framerate, even on my older video card is still quite good, and the environment looks fantastic.

I may have some difficulty not being able to shift power on the scopes (so may have to revert back to OLC GUI 1.2.3) - use of power on periscopes for doing various types of searches is a tactical issue, and given our optical limitations in game and what I am used to seeing through a periscope for real, 3x power feels mighty uncomfortable for me personally. From a tactical perspective, there is a certain methodology used for getting the ship to PD and conducting searches thereafter that sort of necessitates the ability to do both high an low power sweeps. This is no knock on your fantastic work - I know why you had to do it the way you did in the latest OLC GUI version. I'll have to see how it feels for me as I play.

But I did want to thank you for another bangup job on a pair of outstanding mods, and for allowing us the flexibility to set em up however it feels best for us. Well done!

BZ!

R/
TC2
Old 04-19-08, 04:32 PM   #123
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomcattwo
OLC,
Once again, an outstanding job on your mods, and may I also provide a personal "Thank You" for version 1.1 of the Ubermod - It was GREATLY appreciated that you split OLCE and OLC GUI because it gives us all much more flexibility in how we set up and run our SH3 installs.

I have your ubermod set up and running just fine in GWX 2.1 with Rubini's water stream mod, Racerboy's exhaust mod, Phoenix's English to German labels for Ubermod, my SH3Speech mod, and a bunch of other stuff and all is working well. The framerate, even on my older video card is still quite good, and the environment looks fantastic.

I may have some difficulty not being able to shift power on the scopes (so may have to revert back to OLC GUI 1.2.3) - use of power on periscopes for doing various types of searches is a tactical issue, and given our optical limitations in game and what I am used to seeing through a periscope for real, 3x power feels mighty uncomfortable for me personally. From a tactical perspective, there is a certain methodology used for getting the ship to PD and conducting searches thereafter that sort of necessitates the ability to do both high an low power sweeps. This is no knock on your fantastic work - I know why you had to do it the way you did in the latest OLC GUI version. I'll have to see how it feels for me as I play.

But I did want to thank you for another bangup job on a pair of outstanding mods, and for allowing us the flexibility to set em up however it feels best for us. Well done!

BZ!

R/
TC2
I'm glad you like OLCE2, and sad you don't like OLC GUI Special, but hey, 1 out of 2 isn't bad. Seriously, thanks for the honest feedback. I just hope I don't turn out to be the only person here at subsim who likes the new scopes.
Old 04-19-08, 06:04 PM   #124
jmr
Commander

Downloads: 62

Awesome stuff as usual, Mr. OLC.

As far as the scopes are concerned, I haven't had enough time to do any test driving with them, but as you mentioned, I felt the default mag values of the attack scope were too limiting when using the whiz wheels.
jmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-08, 06:46 PM   #125
dogshu
Mate

Downloads: 120

Quote:
Originally Posted by onelifecrisis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuss
Hi OLC,

one last question, before you go to sleep:

Cold there be a problem with the ubermod when starting a new career at Memel in August 1939? When the mod is activated the game teleports me to West-Africa. Nice and warm there but I don´t want to get there at this moment. When ubermod is deactivated I stay at Memel.

Regards
Nuss

OK, my first question: where the hell is Memel?
I'm starting up SH3 commander, new career, start date 8/39, and it's giving me a choice of Kiel, Willhelmshaven, or "Error!" (that's what it says).

No "Memel"
I have to admit the "teleported to Southwest of Africa" thing happened to me as well. I am using GWX 2.1, SH3cmdr 3.1, and OLCuber 1.1. I started a career in the 7th flotilla using sh3cmdr in August 1939. I was supposed to start in Konigsberg, but instead I started far south of Freetown. I don't know if this is a problem with OLC though... I only have the OLC part 1 of 2 enabled (OLCE, but not OLC gui), and the GWX 2.1 page does specifically say that SH3cmdr 3.0 only is supported for now.
dogshu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-08, 08:02 PM   #126
JScones
Navy Seal

Downloads: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogshu
...and the GWX 2.1 page does specifically say that SH3cmdr 3.0 only is supported for now.
Where? I see "SH3Cmdr files for GWX v2.0" and "SH3 Commander Config files for GWX 2.1" on the GWX website's d/l page. Nothing specifically referring to R3.0 at all. Even the installation instructions that comes with the d/l states "SH3 Commander R3 or greater"...

Anyway, the problem is with GWX, as BBW mentioned a few posts back. Easily fixed...although hopefully there are no other differences in the de_menu.txt file... :hmm:
JScones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-08, 11:56 PM   #127
Philipp_Thomsen
Old Gang

Downloads: 146

Quote:
I just hope I don't turn out to be the only person here at subsim who likes the new scopes.
Think this way: You're the person who created this mod, (olc gui) so there's no one here at this forum that know how to use it as well as you do. Nobody will ever hit as many eels as you do, using olc gui. Most people are still struggling to adapt to manual targetting using your disc, and now there's one new difficulty: half zoom. People were used to work with only one periscope, the attack periscope. From the zoom angle, (10x GWX) you could identify the ships flags and have a much better notion of the AOB, the speed, the ship, the cargo, the direction, the whole thing. Now these same people that were learning how to sink ships with manual targetting and use your attack disc (which by the way is not that simple) have to worry about a useless attack periscope. You can't use it to identify the ship's flag and for the lack of magnification is very hard to get the data of the ship's mast and lenght if its too far away (3km). Maybe if you have a 22" LCD, you can. But some people (like me) have 15" CRTs. Its almost impossible to count the number of lines of the mast and the horizontal line, its just too small.

I know that this is all for the good advantage of seeing the ocean as it is, wavy, not a pancake, but most people are very used to that pancake effect, since SH3 stock, and they don't even notice it. For example, I didn't ever noticed those pancake waves until you mentioned, so I went to the game and said to myself "oh, yeah, thats right...". But I'll tell you that infortunally, very very few people will use this attack periscope at 3x zoom levels coz its just too hard. You are having fun, coz you're good at this. Even at 1x zoom you can sink those clawns, you are excelent at getting the data, maybe you've done this too long and learned perfectly. But for most people, it will be too hard. After two or three patrols, everybody will stop and think "gosh, I'm missing all my eels... this is no fun" and then the un-pancaked ocean will get less interesting, coz if you're not getting fun at the game, you dont have a reason to play it.

For those who can have a lot of fun using 3x zoom, GREAT! I bet that your gaming experience will be better then mine!

For those who are not born to be a weapon officer, this will be a pain in the ass and unfortunally will be replaced for OLC's GUI 1.2.3.

This is very sad... I know how you feel... The intention was good and pure, unfortunally this game is very short in options, if you fix something, you ruin another, and I've been on this road long enough to know it.

Anyway, in overall this is a masterpiece of a mod and I'll use it forever, until the end of SH3 days, and I will recommend to everybody, as well as put it on my signature with pride!

For those with great data capturing skills, have fun! For me, well... I'll have to work around this problems fixing those files to my taste... until I learn how to aim like you do!
Old 04-20-08, 03:06 AM   #128
mikaelanderlund
Captain

Downloads: 267

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomcattwo
OLC,

BZ!

R/
TC2
I'm glad you like OLCE2, and sad you don't like OLC GUI Special, but hey, 1 out of 2 isn't bad. Seriously, thanks for the honest feedback. I just hope I don't turn out to be the only person here at subsim who likes the new scopes.
Hi onelifecrices,

I like it . However. it is vvvery hard to get the data of the ship's mast and lenght if it's too far away in stormy conditions. I think 3X is good.

Mikael
mikaelanderlund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-08, 04:05 AM   #129
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

@PT
For the record, I play SH3 on a 15 inch CRT at 1024x768 resolution and always have done.

@Mikael
W00t!
Old 04-20-08, 04:12 AM   #130
robbythesub
Captain

Downloads: 302
Default Download link

Hello

Very interested in your mod, but cant seem to see the link to the download here?

Thank you
robbythesub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-08, 04:14 AM   #131
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbythesub
Hello

Very interested in your mod, but cant seem to see the link to the download here?

Thank you
The link is in post #1.
Nevermind... here:
http://files.filefront.com/OLC+Uberm.../fileinfo.html
Old 04-20-08, 04:28 AM   #132
Philipp_Thomsen
Old Gang

Downloads: 146

Quote:
@PT
For the record, I play SH3 on a 15 inch CRT at 1024x768 resolution and always have done.

@Mikael
W00t!
So you have quite the rig and a stinky CRT like mine? Hard to belive that...

But you know I wasn't criticising you or your mod, you know that. I was just explaining what you have sighted before. Its very complicated this situation...

Please don't consider what I've said as a threaty post, it was not, it was just my opinion about it, no harm intended, I wasn't being sarcastic.

Old 04-20-08, 04:37 AM   #133
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philipp_Thomsen
Quote:
@PT

@Mikael
W00t!
So you have quite the rig and a stinky CRT like mine? Hard to belive that...

But you know I wasn't criticising you or your mod, you know that. I was just explaining what you have sighted before. Its very complicated this situation...

Please don't consider what I've said as a threaty post, it was not, it was just my opinion about it, no harm intended, I wasn't being sarcastic.

Yes, I have a stinky CRT. It shouldn't be hard for you to believe, given that you have a terrible rig with an awesome sound stage. Different priorities, perhaps?

Actually, when I bought my rig I bought a projector and screen, and surround speaker kit, the whole shebang. But the projector and the speakers were both broken some time ago, and since then I've played on a 15 inch CRT with headphones. But I digress.

It's not a complicated situation, I broke one thing to fix another, I was just a bit perplexed by your long-winded post about how pointless the excercise was in your opinion. Doesn't seem very constructive to me.
Old 04-20-08, 04:40 AM   #134
Myxale
Admiral

Downloads: 70

I don't know how much you change OLCE2 since OLCE, but lemme tell you the ocean and colors are deep. Even for my LCD!!

The unsrise took my breath away...and not to mention my HD space since i kept Lt. Werner shooting pics like crazy!

Cheers old pirate!

Myxale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-08, 04:42 AM   #135
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myxale
I don't know how much you change OLCE2 since OLCE, but lemme tell you the ocean and colors are deep. Even for my LCD!!

The unsrise took my breath away...and not to mention my HD space since i kept Lt. Werner shooting pics like crazy!

Cheers old pirate!