Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-18-18, 04:13 AM   #1
Shibbyland
Seaman

Downloads: 17
Uploads: 0
Default Search patterns and Hydrohunting

Hi All,

I'm playing in October 1939 patrolling along the Eastern British Coast. I can't find anything but fishing boats. What sort of range from the Coast do the merchants tend to sail from port to port?

I'm trying to make use of the search pattern scripts but I find they often send me straight into the land. Is there a post which describes what each of the search patterns do and how to use them?

I've seen a post about hydrohunting and how to do it but the link leads to "page not found".

Lastly, I'm using realistic navigation so obviously theres nothing displayed on the map when the enemy is detected. On the rare occasion I find something, I tend to listen to it for several minutes on hydrophone to get an idea of its course then I try to intercept. Im not sure how the radioman is used to detect enemies.

Thanks
Shibbyland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-18, 09:39 AM   #2
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4

Expect the radioman to hear targets within 40 km and less if you stop your engines and go a good amount below periscope depth, about 30 meters. It's important to change your sub aspect once in awhile so that all 'cones' have a chance to make a contact (your baffles +- 30° will not reveal contacts AFAIK).

A lot of fishing boats, yes but a lot of destroyers too, so stay alert because they can even hear you when you are surfaced...

If you want to get a target solution with hydrophones, there are 2 good tutorial videos I can refer you to:

4 bearing method for SH5 part 1-4.mkv by Stoianm
Hydro hunt tutorial SH5 part 1-2.mkv by Stoianm

Go to Youtube and search for them. It's really worth watching to learn functionality of crew commands.
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote