Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-18-17, 06:12 AM   #1
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Icon12 Camping 2017

If you like camping....

I love camping, but don't do enough of it. My favorite style is motorcycle camping. I have to be aware of my load limits, how much I can carry on the bike. I have done a fair amount of this type of camping, with trips to Mexico, Arizona, California, Arkansas, and South Dakota over the years, plus many trips throughout Texas. Tent, sleeping bag, and single size air mattress plus some stuff is all I can take on the bike.

Then there's car camping, where I can take coolers, tables, and chairs and really relax. That's the way I go with my family. My daughters got the camping bug out of nowhere lately and we are going to camp this weekend by a lake. It's raining like hell right now, hopefully that will clear out the skies for the weekend.
Old 04-18-17, 08:03 AM   #2
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Tried it a few times many years ago (caravanning even) but much prefer the luxury of my home shower and toilet

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-17, 09:45 AM   #3
STEED
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 48

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
STEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-17, 10:24 AM   #4
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10
Uploads: 0

I Have an old P&H Icefloe designed by the late Derek Hutchinson which I've used to backcountry camp Assateague Island and The Great Dismal Swamp. Though its a high volume boat I'm used to walking in backcountry with everything I need for three days in a 35 liter pack so I dont take much gear. The nice thing about the boat though is it can haul a lot of more food and water (8 pounds per gallon) than my pack could which extends my time in the boonies.

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.

Last edited by Rockstar; 04-18-17 at 11:02 AM.
Rockstar is online   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-17, 09:08 PM   #5
fireftr18
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 77

I love both backpacking and car camping. Backpacking, you can really get into remote areas most don't even bother with. Car camping, like Onkel Neal said, you can pack in a large tent, air mattresses, chairs, grill, tables and good food and really make it all about just relaxing in nature.

Old 04-18-17, 09:34 PM   #6
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

I did the '60's car camping as a kid in two Rambler stationwagons; then five lengthy 3 week treks into the mosquito infested Quetico-Superior canoe Boundary Waters of Minn. on the Canadian boarder...Twice, at age 18, in 1969, in co-command of a five canoe flotilla of 15 spoiled 10 year-olds.(My first fleet action??!!) Rule 1: It is forbidden to lose one's precious man-child on the trail! errrr portage ie grueling rainsoaked path between lakes! Naturally, I was chief cook, skillet washer and tent striker. A canoe with 80 lb Duluth pack on your back for 5 miles..... = NO JOY!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"

Last edited by Aktungbby; 04-18-17 at 09:42 PM.
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-17, 10:10 PM   #7
THE_MASK
Ace of the deep .

Downloads: 901
Uploads: 73

I buy a lot of Drifta products .
Check out there videos .
https://www.youtube.com/user/DriftaCamping4WD
Checkout the motorbike camping trips .
THE_MASK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-17, 06:16 AM   #8
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Nice video, thanks for sharing, haha I have a lot of those small waterproof bags as well, for various bits of gear. They look very familiar.
Old 04-21-17, 09:21 PM   #9
nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
I did the '60's car camping as a kid in two Rambler stationwagons; then five lengthy 3 week treks into the mosquito infested Quetico-Superior canoe Boundary Waters of Minn. on the Canadian boarder...Twice, at age 18, in 1969, in co-command of a five canoe flotilla of 15 spoiled 10 year-olds.(My first fleet action??!!) Rule 1: It is forbidden to lose one's precious man-child on the trail! errrr portage ie grueling rainsoaked path between lakes! Naturally, I was chief cook, skillet washer and tent striker. A canoe with 80 lb Duluth pack on your back for 5 miles..... = NO JOY!
I totally want to canoe the BWCA. Just disappear for a week.

When I was a kid, I used to canoe the Namekagon for diabetic camp. Great memories, what an adventure.
http://wisconsintrailguide.com/paddl...gon-river.html
Old 04-22-17, 04:19 PM   #10
GoldenRivet
Subsim Aviator

Downloads: 146

I used to really enjoy camping, still do i suppose, but since i took this job traveling from state to state chasing storms living 200+ days a year in my travel trailer the romance has faded. When i get home, the last thing i want to do is head out on the open road for more time out on the road.

My favorite experiences however come from airplane camping. Back when i had an airplane to camp with and time to do it. Load up a sleeping bag, tent, camp shower and a cooler full of groceries and head out to a grass airstrip somewhere and pitch a tent for a few days.

lots of fun.

Im sure one of those small trailers they make for motorcycles could haul just about everything you'd need for a good bike trip
Old 04-23-17, 11:25 AM   #11
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

^ Billy Connolly has toured many a country (USA and Aus included) doing just that John

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping