SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters > Sub Command, Fleet Command, & Jane's 688(I)
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-19-15, 08:42 PM   #1
divsky
Nub

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Having trouble manually pluggin in visual observations

I just got Sub Command, and all the other Sonalyst games today on the Steam Summer Sale. I'm a submarine vet and I went through the tutorials so I have some idea of what I'm doing.

Anyways, I started Iran to the Straight scenario, right away came up to periscope depth and started visually marking some oilers. Right afterwards sonar picked up V2 at 180, and it becomes M1. And the solution just starts going nuts, changing wildly every second or so. I want to manually plug in a solution into TMA but when I try every single field just keeps on getting reset every time the solution changes, which like I said is happening every second.

What's going on? How do I stop this? How can I just manually plug in what I want for course, range and speed?
divsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-15, 09:04 PM   #2
divsky
Nub

Update: Seems to have calmed down, and I can now put in the solution I want. I guess solutions only go crazy like that right when sonar first picks it up and has very little data to work with? I don't know, it's annoying though.

Second update: More frustrations. Why is my inputted visual observation not matching the system solution?? Here's a screenshot: http://i.imgur.com/mJZgHEF.png

Look at that beautiful solution on the left. Perfectly lined up dots and everything, looks awesome. But then on the right, the system solution is not even close! No matter how many times I hit "Enter solution". It most certainly is NOT on course 012! It's on course 160, I can friggin see it! What's going on here?? This is frustrating me a lot!

Last edited by divsky; 06-19-15 at 09:13 PM.
Old 06-19-15, 10:26 PM   #3
SilentPrey
Navy Dude

Downloads: 58
Uploads: 2

First off, Welcome to SubSim!

I think you're going to have to turn off the auto crew. I've been playing Dangerous Waters for way too long to remember how exactly but I'm pretty sure it's in the options menu.

If I recall correctly, you either use the auto crew or you don't. You cannot override their solutions if you are using them. That's why your solution isn't entering. The bad side of not using them is that you become the tracking party for every contact. Once auto crew is off though, you can tell it whatever you like (right or wrong).

Fair winds and following seas!
SilentPrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-15, 11:04 PM   #4
divsky
Nub

Yeah I turned off auto-crew and it fixed all these problems. Seriously, my tracking party doesn't seem to know what they're doing. One of the first rules of contact management is that if you pick up a new contact, it's probably moving towards you, not away from you.

It would be nice though if there was a way you could still have auto crew on and still be able to override their solutions- after all, a visual observation is truth, while a solution from stacking dots is an educated guess.
Old 06-20-15, 04:22 AM   #5
SilentPrey
Navy Dude

Downloads: 58
Uploads: 2

They're nerfed so that you don't end up with your map contacts being perfect every time like Silent Hunter's. The bad part of that is what you found: They're really stupid. Does Sub Command have the 'Expert' auto crew? You might give them a try. Dangerous Waters has a tab in the top left corner of auto crew able screens where you can activate and deactivate them at will. Sonalysts did listen to these complaints; they just didn't fix them until the next release.
SilentPrey is offline   Reply With Quote