SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-26-17, 07:54 AM   #1
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Default UK and France join together to ban sales of petrol and diesel vehicles from 2040

Warning UK and France members ... you only have 23 years left to purchase a new car that runs on gas or diesel fuel. I suspect used automobiles will still be allowed to be sold.

https://www.bloomberg.com/gadfly/art...engine-s-death

Quote:
The U.K. has joined France in promising to ban sales of petrol and diesel vehicles from 2040 in a drive to improve air quality and cut planet-warming emissions. When two of Europe's largest economies pledge to abolish technology that's sustained the car industry for more than a century, it's only natural that investors might fear this poses existential challenges for the industry.
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-17, 08:35 AM   #2
vienna
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85

Between the car makers themselves making moves away from gasoline and diesel fueled vehicles and the various national and regional enactments of policies also mandating the transition away from fossil fuels, the oil industry and oil-producing nations may find very much leaner times in the future. Even the US military is starting to dip their toes in the alternative fuel/power pool:

http://www.defensenews.com/land/2017...army-vehicles/

What a lot of the public doesn't realize is for a long time it has been the policy of US military field units not to use gas or diesel fuels found in the areas to which they are deployed; the main reason is the lack of trust in the quality of the local fuels and the possible effects local fuels could have on the performance of military vehicles and the possibility of fuel being sabotaged by locals. This means all fuel used by military vehicles in the field must be transported from the US or US-trusted origins and humped out to the vehicles as they move into an area. As an example, in the oil rich country of Iraq, none of the local fuel was to be used by US military units; all fuel had to be shipped in; its kind of like being in the middle of a supermarket and not being allowed to eat any of the food while waiting for your take-out order to arrive. The ability to have the fuel source move forward with field units and having that source easily renewed is major. An extra big bonus is the "stealthier" nature of non-combustion engines; any one who has stepped off a curb only to be forced back by a hybrid or electric car knows how very silent they are...

<O>

Last edited by vienna; 07-27-17 at 12:23 AM.
vienna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-17, 10:09 PM   #3
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Twenty years is a long time, but what about the oil producing countries like Saudi Arabia? Less production means higher gas prices.

They can't start producing batteries now can they? All they do is produce oil, no vehicles, no planes, no ships except for Iran.

China will be the winner on supplying electric vehicles and their needs.

Will the US join them? It's almost like the end of the horse and buggy days when gas stations started popping up all over the country. Now recharging stations will pop up.

I can see it now the recall of tens of thousands of electric manufactured trucks and auto's due to battery problems.
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-17, 11:26 PM   #4
em2nought
Ocean Warrior

What about tanks? What am I saying, they won't even be able to afford a single main battle tank by then. lol
Old 07-27-17, 05:40 AM   #5
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Intentions appear to be good but the politicians can interfere a lot in twenty three years as can the big corporations and those with vested interests.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-17, 06:12 AM   #6
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Quatro View Post
Warning UK and France members ... you only have 23 years left to purchase a new car that runs on gas or diesel fuel. I suspect used automobiles will still be allowed to be sold.
Dont underestimate the furor of the fanatically selfrightous. In Germany, owners of Diesel cars affected by Dieselgate who do want to put pressur on the companies by refusing the - reaosonably uneffective - uograding of their engine software, which would free the company from the chance of chrages beign filed against them - now are blackmailed by the state to either allow the upgrade until September - or have the running permission for their cars canclled, at their own cost and full fincial loss. The state hre jumps to the rescue of the car makers to prevent them needing high comeonsations if charges by private car owners get filed by the car owner.

It s a game of buying time. The owner need the time to mount the pressure on the producers, and the state denies this to the owners to prptect the producers.

Of course the state does not call the thing by its real name.

One thing should be clear: Diesel is dead. The German gamble of the past 20 years, has failed. In the end, the German oattempt to make it successfull beyond Germany and France, and especially in America, never was successful.

Dieselgate has grown in scope over here, it is not about Diesel anymore, but cartel building. Talk is of the biggest cartel scandal in industrial history of the past 50 years. Consideirng the vitla importance of car making for the German economic "powerhouse", polics will talk plenty of hot rehtoric, but will try to defuse dangers to the car akers as much as possible. Also, car makers and politics are in bed together since long time. Man kennt sich.

Recent strategies by the US and France aimed at damaging Germany's key industry branch, too weaken Germany and to push the diffefent strategies of their own car makers. I expect that lots of champagne got consumed in recent months in Paris and Washington. The Germans mistake has been to have relied on luxurious and fast heavy limousines for too long. These loose in demand on the german market, and internationally. many young people do not see owning a car as a status symbol anymore. And many people prfeer more practical, small, economic cars by now.Last but not least, many also cannot afford a car anymore. At least not by the German (cartel) prices. Monopoly and cartel-building is a risk in capitalism, but nevertheless it is the antagonist of free market and capitalism. It destroys capitalism and free market. It must be persecuted and wiped out whereever it is being tried. Much of the criticsm the left fires against capitalism, indeed would be justified, if only they would aim it at the correctly identified target: monopolies and cartels , - not capitalism.
Old 07-27-17, 05:38 PM   #7
STEED
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 48

Who cares I will be a old fart with a free bus pass.

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
STEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-17, 06:40 AM   #8
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEED View Post
Who cares I will be a old fart with a free bus pass.
You confident the free bus pass will still be around then

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-17, 05:35 PM   #9
STEED
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 48

Icon12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
You confident the free bus pass will still be around then
I got 10 by 8 glossy pictures of people in high places that the press would like to publish.

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
STEED is offline   Reply With Quote