SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-14-17, 09:39 PM   #1
Darthlucky
Medic

Downloads: 40
Uploads: 0
Default New bug? with GWX

I'm playing SH3 with GWX and I've not had any major issues, other than the odd CTD after taking off all of the USAM mods that I had activated. However, now, when I load a new career, or resume a save done, once the "It happened long ago" screen disappears, I'm left with a black screen saying "game paused", with the task bar at the bottom, and the pop out menus that pop out when I hover the cursor in their areas. Nothing I click takes, and none of the console commands work. The only thing I can do is hit escape and end the patrol. Has anyone encountered this problem, SH3 is my favorite game and I'm so upset it just decided not to work.
Darthlucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-17, 05:34 AM   #2
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 300

Does this happen with a brand new Commander profile as well? Changing mods while on patrol, or even during a campaign depending on the changes made, can seriously mess up the game. Don't expect your current Commander and it's savegame/patrol files to survive this mod-change.
Pisces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-17, 11:48 AM   #3
Darthlucky
Medic

Happens with a brand new commander and save file. To the best of my knowledge, I didn't change any mods while at sea. Can I uninstall SH3 without also uninstalling GWX or would I have to do a total reinstall. I haven't tested LSH to see if it has the same problem.
Old 06-15-17, 01:31 PM   #4
mikey117us
Engineer

Downloads: 162

Uninstall will remove GWX as well. Sometimes however a fresh install of SH3 and GWX is necessary, have jsgme make a mod list of activated mods first, then deactivate all mods. Remember GWX won't install if your mod folder is still in the old folder. Just cut and paste it outside the SH3 folder and move it back after GWX is installed. I use CCleaner after an uninstall to clean out the registry. i use CFF Explorer to make the .exe large address aware, and run all users as administrator, and check compatibility mode. I will then start sh3 vanilla and change any options, and do an acedamy mission for a couple of minutes. Then install GWX and do the same thing. Them activate my mods. I hate having to do it but I beta test alot of my own mods and sometimes to rule out a mod being at fault, I will do this routinely.
mikey117us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-17, 03:08 PM   #5
Darthlucky
Medic

I'll try that, thanks. Now if I could just get USAM and GWX to get along lol
Old 06-20-17, 01:16 PM   #6
Darthlucky
Medic

I have SH3 via Steam, how am I supposed to uninstall it? I've tried looked in my computer, in the directory at the files, but I can't find anything that will let me to uninstall it, and if I put a disk in and try to uninstall it, I get an error message. Ugh. LSH works fine, it's GWX that is messed up, I think I activated a mod while in the middle of a patrol, stupid me.
Old 06-20-17, 02:56 PM   #7
Pisces
Silent Hunter

In the properties of the game in Steam I have two buttons on the Local files tab.

Translated from dutch this would be "Remove local gamecontent" and "verify gamecache integrity". This would seem to be able to reset the game to default state. But ultimately you may have to remove the game from the library and add it again later to make Steam download it fresh. I don't know how multiple instances of the game factor into this. I don't know if this affects your LSH instance.
Old 06-20-17, 03:16 PM   #8
Darthlucky
Medic

I've managed to uninstall, and reinstall SH3, the vanilla version. Now when I try to reinstall GWX, I get the error message about it not being in a file without mods and needeing to be a clean 1.4v of SH. Ugh....i'm about to just see if there's any subsimmers near me and pay someone to sort my stuff out lol.
Old 06-20-17, 03:57 PM   #9
Pisces
Silent Hunter

To be honest, I'm not familiar how to deal with Steam installs and mods for SH3. I always install by DVD. Forumuser Blitzkrieg made extensive guides on how to fix install problems. You may want to search for that.

To start:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=212323
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=218598
Old 06-23-17, 11:01 PM   #10
Darthlucky
Medic

VICTORY IS MINE! I did a total wipe of all SH3 files and mods and did a clean install in a special folder and IT'S ALIVE!!! Thank you.