SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop > SH4 Mission Designers' Forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-09-16, 08:58 PM   #1
lexloma
Watch

Downloads: 33
Uploads: 0
Default creating Sub School missions but need help

Searched the forum(s) but came up blank...
1) Trying to create missions for each class of boat but Sargo, Tambor, and Tench (when checked as "human player") result in the boat pull-down menu in Sub School with only "Unknown" as a selection and you cannot execute the game.
2) How do some missions have multiple class options on the boat pull-down menu (e.g. S18, S42, Salmon, etc.)? Whenever I create a mission it's only the boat I've checked as "human player" that shows in the boat pull-down (except as noted in #1, above.

Thanks for any guidance...
Old 08-10-16, 07:52 AM   #2
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

I am not an expert at it, by any stretch, but check your Mission Parameter settings, versus the dates that the submarines are available in the game's "time frame". In other words, you might have a submarine selected that wasn't "in theatre" until March of 1943, but your mission is set to February 1943. Also, you can't have your player sub too close to ships or groups that "spawn", and I forget the exact distance required. If you open one of the other sub school missions, and take a peek at what they did (which is a LOT), you can get some good examples.

I do not know, and have not tried to find out how they do the boat selection thingie. That would be nice to do for some regular Single Missions also, where you might not feel like working so hard in an S boat, and would like a Gar, or at least ~something~ with a stern tube... |;^) - I'll see if I can figure that out, else maybe someone else will come along in a bit.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-16, 09:19 AM   #3
lexloma
Watch

Thanks, found a link that helps:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=149258

CfgDate in the .mis file seems to be the issue. I notice that if I edit the .mis file via Notepad (for example), change CfgDate and save then I'm good to go; but if I subsequently edit the .mis file via Mission Editor and save it changes CfgDate back again. Guess I have to remember not to use ME after manually changing CfgDate via Notepad.

Still don't understand why other missions I see have fully-populated pulldown options of which sub class to use on that mission...
Old 08-10-16, 10:21 AM   #4
propbeanie

Which version of SH4 are you using 1.4 or 1.5? Do you have any mods installed?

Old 08-10-16, 12:17 PM   #5
lexloma
Watch

I'm using SH4 v1.5 with TMO installed on top
Old 08-14-16, 03:11 PM   #6
propbeanie

Well, I've been through all the installs I have of SH4 between my two computers, and none of the Quick Missions (Single Missions) allow me to choose the submarine. I can do that in the Campaign mode, when I start a new career, or I can do it in Silent Hunter from SSI, affectionately referred to as SH1. I have not played with TMO since way back when, and don't have it on the computer anymore. Maybe someone else could help out here.

Old 08-19-16, 08:19 PM   #7
lexloma
Watch

Thanks for the effort! Appreciate your help; I'll continue my studies...
Old 08-20-16, 04:11 PM   #8
propbeanie

I ~think~ (which means "I'm not sure") it's the use of the "US Fleet Class Submarine" in the ME Sub Roster... I do remember reading about that, but cannot for the life of me recall it at all...

Rosanna Danna again: Nevermind... that's for the AI boat.

Last edited by propbeanie; 08-20-16 at 04:35 PM.
Old 08-28-16, 07:22 AM   #9
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexloma View Post
Thanks, found a link that helps:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=149258

CfgDate in the .mis file seems to be the issue. I notice that if I edit the .mis file via Notepad (for example), change CfgDate and save then I'm good to go; but if I subsequently edit the .mis file via Mission Editor and save it changes CfgDate back again. Guess I have to remember not to use ME after manually changing CfgDate via Notepad.

Still don't understand why other missions I see have fully-populated pulldown options of which sub class to use on that mission...
You're kind of mixing two different things together, and expecting them to work the same. The Sub School missions are a bit different than the Campaign Missions that you'll get in-game.

First off, when making a mission you need to have whatever mod (or group of mods) you intend to use "activated" in-game before opening the ME. The ME takes info directly from the modded files to use in any new missions....if those files are changed in any way (like having a mod removed from the game before playing the mission that uses the modded files) you'll have trouble.

Secondly, the game files don't allow for a specific sub to enter the game (like a Balao which has a late war entry date) until that date is set in the mission. The Sub School missions are set to a certain date and time of day. You'll not see the Balao in a 1942 mission, no matter if its in the sub school or Campaign missions.

To do what you want make a separate sub school mission to include the correct date of mission to cover the specific sub you wish to use.

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-16, 07:59 PM   #10
lexloma
Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnScurvy View Post
To do what you want make a separate sub school mission to include the correct date of mission to cover the specific sub you wish to use.
That did it! Thanks CapnScurvy!