SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters > DW Mod Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-27-17, 09:41 AM   #1486
FPSchazly
Good Hunting!

Downloads: 15
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by KilooliK View Post
How close were you when you fired the USET's? Also, did you manually type in weapons coordinates, or was autocrew turned on? Ive had the same bad luck both ways. Yeah, its hard to find enemy subs with the Kilo unless they are right on top of you. Under 4nm. But I like the challenge. Difficulty on "Hard" though is nearly impossible unless the stars align and the moon is just right.

Also, does anybody know the "default" difficulty setting on personal created missions?
There isn't really a difficulty setting. The "star" system is purely the mission editor's opinion. What separates the quick missions in terms of difficulty is that the more difficult usually means more enemies / advanced enemies. But, as p7p8 said, the quick missions are rather bugged and after playing them just a few times, you can tell how they're set up. Can't fault Sonalysts for trying to implement something like that but it could have used more dynamicism.

My videos:
**Exclusive Look at Modern Naval Warfare!**
Dangerous Waters Liu Doctrine (LwAmi
Learn to play Dangerous Waters
FPSchazly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-17, 10:09 AM   #1487
ikalugin
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 8
Uploads: 0

While we are on topic, do you know any good anti surface missions for Yasen-M?
Old 01-27-17, 10:21 AM   #1488
p7p8
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 136
Uploads: 6

My report:

Quick mission
region: GIUK
difficulity: hard
platform: Kilo Imp
mission type: ASuW Barrier Search
My settings: TMA - auto, Active intercept - auto

1) Attack with 2 TEST-71 torps (west) and 2 USET-80 (south)

2) USET-80 missed, Tourville killed

3) Mission status

4) Passive TEST-71 tracking HAN (earlier active one lost all fuel). My Kilo running from enemy torpedo

5) End

My replay file:
Link

In my opinion quick mission is too bugged for play.
p7p8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-17, 10:31 AM   #1489
p7p8
Seasoned Skipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikalugin View Post
While we are on topic, do you know any good anti surface missions for Yasen-M?
Yasen is not playable in RA 1.41
Old 01-27-17, 10:37 AM   #1490
ikalugin
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 8

I guess I would have to wait for it
Old 01-27-17, 11:03 AM   #1491
p7p8
Seasoned Skipper

Yasen was playable in RA 1.36 + Betamod 4.11

Old 01-27-17, 02:28 PM   #1492
KilooliK
Watch

Downloads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by p7p8 View Post
My report:

Quick mission
region: GIUK
difficulity: hard
platform: Kilo Imp
mission type: ASuW Barrier Search
My settings: TMA - auto, Active intercept - auto

1) Attack with 2 TEST-71 torps (west) and 2 USET-80 (south)

2) USET-80 missed, Tourville killed

3) Mission status

4) Passive TEST-71 tracking HAN (earlier active one lost all fuel). My Kilo running from enemy torpedo

5) End

My replay file:
Link

In my opinion quick mission is too bugged for play.
Good job. Try Klub ASM sometime. Youll pull your hair out. I also believe the quick missions are too buggy. Because I can blast any civilian or neutral ship at will. But when it comes to shooting an enemy, not a chance. And 90% of the time they dont even shoot any countermeasures to draw my torpedoes away. They either out run my torp, my torp completely misses, or they shoot my missiles. Sometimes within 1nm of launch from my sub. Theyre pretty good. Or my torpedoes actually pass through the hull, as if the ship is invisible. And I know its not a false contact, because Ill confirm the ship is there via periscope before shooting. So I know the ship is there. And I cant look through the scope and guide torpedo at the same time. Like, as soon as i get off the scope and shoot the torpeoes, the ships bearing changes by 2nm. Pretty buggy.
KilooliK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-17, 02:43 PM   #1493
KilooliK
Watch

I like the 2 torps west and 2 south approach. I normally just fire a pair down the same bearing. Maybe ill start shooting 1 torp in front and 1 behind on a snapshot. I couldnt possibly do any worse.

Last edited by KilooliK; 01-27-17 at 02:52 PM.
Old 01-27-17, 04:46 PM   #1494
swampy
Torpedoman

Downloads: 187

This random mission generator is a good alternative if you dont like the buggy quick missions.

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=4794
swampy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-17, 06:01 PM   #1495
Nippelspanner
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Since this is the dw discussion thread, how many of the actual creators are following this topic?
I wonder, because I recently started digging in the mod and found some (minor/aesthetic) bugs I'd like to report. I'm aware of the Russian forum, but it is a little inconvenient there if one doesn't speak Russian.

Further, I'd like to help the RA team if possible/wanted.

For my own purposes, I worked on re-designing the rather chaotic/inconsistent USNI database among other things.
I've also started to "clean up" the database by giving the sensors their real names. I've noticed a lot of duplicate sensors that could easily be avoided.
Example: 2 submarines both use sensor an/tb-16d in rl, but in the sim we might have one for sub 1, one other (with same specs) for sub 2 etc.
This is unnecessary and only clutters the database among other possible problems.

This is by no means meant as an attack, it is just meant as constructive criticism with the goal to make ra better and more fleshed out.

Also, some boats could really use an upgrade. The 688 Flt 1+2 for example use adcap for ages now, and the 688i uses the an/tb-29a since the early 2000s, as far as I know, yet ingame it still has the tb-23.

Btw,, here are some examples:
- Thresher -> Permit (class was renamed in 63 after the infamous Thresher incident.)
- Yasen class -> Severodvinsk class
- Snang -> Shang class
- SSK -> SS (term SSK was retired)
Etc.

In general one issue is the inconsistent use of terms. Sometimes correct and full NATO designations are used (e.g. Mk48 Mod 4), sometimes Russian designations, sometimes wrong/fantasy ones.
I think it would be much better to stick strictly to one system, which logically should be the NATO designations, these everyone is, or should be, aware of in a military simulation.

In the long run I will adjust my game to the above standards and if the RA team - or anyone - is interested, I'll gladly share my results.
Old 01-27-17, 07:08 PM   #1496
KilooliK
Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampy View Post
This random mission generator is a good alternative if you dont like the buggy quick missions.

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=4794
Cool. Ill give it a try. Ive been having a bit more luck. I switched back to inputting weapons coordinates manually, and have started shooting 2 torps down different bearings at an enemy. Still not great, but sunk 1 ship and a submarine on my last mission and never had to reengage. Auto weapons is a waste of time on hard.
Old 01-27-17, 07:12 PM   #1497
p7p8
Seasoned Skipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by KilooliK View Post
I like the 2 torps west and 2 south approach. I normally just fire a pair down the same bearing. Maybe ill start shooting 1 torp in front and 1 behind on a snapshot. I couldnt possibly do any worse.
TEST-71 have too small warhead for sinking "big" warship like Tourville. USET-80 had settings for active and passive (not wake-homming) searching but i shoot them too late - my mistake. With wake-homming they could probably kill DDG

It was my fault but this mission was little experiment - not serious game (for me).
Old 01-31-17, 12:15 PM   #1498
KilooliK
Watch

Been having much better success with "rolling my own" when it comes to weapons. 6/10 on my last 5 engagements with USET 80 torpedoes against ships. All wake homing snapshots. 5 pair (2 torpedoes) shot down different bearings. Deadly. Auto weapons couldnt hit an island.
Old 02-06-17, 12:56 PM   #1499
swampy
Torpedoman

Downloads: 187

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewy1 View Post
Sorry to side-track the thread - For Mr Wood - here's my repainted Seawolf - made darker and with the sail-number removed...

I also added a rough tile texture to the Trafalgar - but it doesn't show up well in a screenshot...

Thanks for those pics Mr Wood - while they look great, it's probably not worth starting again with all my painting and database tweaks
Looks good!
Can you make the 688 class the same color or the default color but without the red lower hull?
swampy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-17, 12:28 AM   #1500
Dobbin0514
Nub

Downloads: 22
Icon12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nippelspanner View Post
Since this is the dw discussion thread, how many of the actual creators are following this topic?
I wonder, because I recently started digging in the mod and found some (minor/aesthetic) bugs I'd like to report. I'm aware of the Russian forum, but it is a little inconvenient there if one doesn't speak Russian.

Further, I'd like to help the RA team if possible/wanted.

For my own purposes, I worked on re-designing the rather chaotic/inconsistent USNI database among other things.
I've also started to "clean up" the database by giving the sensors their real names. I've noticed a lot of duplicate sensors that could easily be avoided.
Example: 2 submarines both use sensor an/tb-16d in rl, but in the sim we might have one for sub 1, one other (with same specs) for sub 2 etc.
This is unnecessary and only clutters the database among other possible problems.

This is by no means meant as an attack, it is just meant as constructive criticism with the goal to make ra better and more fleshed out.

Also, some boats could really use an upgrade. The 688 Flt 1+2 for example use adcap for ages now, and the 688i uses the an/tb-29a since the early 2000s, as far as I know, yet ingame it still has the tb-23.

Btw,, here are some examples:
- Thresher -> Permit (class was renamed in 63 after the infamous Thresher incident.)
- Yasen class -> Severodvinsk class
- Snang -> Shang class
- SSK -> SS (term SSK was retired)
Etc.

In general one issue is the inconsistent use of terms. Sometimes correct and full NATO designations are used (e.g. Mk48 Mod 4), sometimes Russian designations, sometimes wrong/fantasy ones.
I think it would be much better to stick strictly to one system, which logically should be the NATO designations, these everyone is, or should be, aware of in a military simulation.

In the long run I will adjust my game to the above standards and if the RA team - or anyone - is interested, I'll gladly share my results.
-ReinForce Alert - worldwide discussion
http://www.redrodgers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4912
Dobbin0514 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
reinforce alert