SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-25-16, 01:20 AM   #1
lolballz
Swabbie

Downloads: 4
Uploads: 0
Icon14 'hot' Cold War-era subsim with dynamic campaign?

Are there any? I've always hoped someone would develop a theoretical 'hot' Cold War (think 'Red Storm Rising') themed subsim with the same freedom of movement/dynamic campaign style as experienced in Silent Hunter and Aces of the Deep. To date, however, to no avail. I just thought it would make for an especially interesting subsim, considering the breadth of technology often fielded by both sides, at the same time, during this period (e.g., on the Communist side you had antiquated Romeos, Foxtrots, and Novembers lingering in service at the same time their Alfas were out-running our torpedos, while in the West you had guppy submarines - Second World War boats that had been streamlined for improved submerged performance - in service at the same time that the Los Angeles and Trafalgar classes were enterring service. From time to time I have a bit of fun playing the OOOOOLD 'Red Storm Rising' pc game. While entertaining and having a dynamic feel, however, it is certainly no simulation (and, it is more graphically antiquated than some of the equipment I've mentioned).
lolballz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-16, 01:44 AM   #2
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

I would enjoy something like that as well. It's a time period that has not been represented in a while.
Old 07-25-16, 02:53 PM   #3
p7p8
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 136
Uploads: 6

In Dangerous Warers + RA mod you can play Sturgeon class (in new version also Skipjack class) and Victor I, II, III, Alfa etc.
p7p8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-16, 10:56 AM   #4
Hawk66
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 36
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkel Neal View Post
I would enjoy something like that as well. It's a time period that has not been represented in a while.
@Neal: Have you thought about that in the long-run (not now)
HMS Marulken could be the basis for just that...I guess you could reuse a lot of stuff (rendering, basic sub physics ....)

I think it is worth a thought...
Hawk66 is offline   Reply With Quote