SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-20-14, 12:11 AM   #1066
Admiral8Q
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 24
Uploads: 0

Ahoy TomPA!
Welcome to the Subsim.

Admiral8Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-14, 12:42 PM   #1067
Admiral Halsey
Best Admiral in the USN

Downloads: 298

So any news from the front IABL?
Admiral Halsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-14, 07:45 PM   #1068
Admiral Von Gerlach
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 358

Periods of silence at sea in combat are welcomed by sailormen as a time to fit ship, mend gear and prepare for action to come. For our mod maker I am sure it is a time for many duties including working on this fine project. I wish him well as always and encourage patience among us all. Rememberance too for Memorial day.
Old 05-31-14, 10:01 PM   #1069
peterthegreeksailor
The Silent Service

Downloads: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral Von Gerlach View Post
Britanic.... hospital ship: She was requisitioned by the British Admiralty during WWI for use as a hospital ship before she could begin a career as a commercial liner, and was sunk off Crete by either a German mine or torpedo. Now pretty much considered a loss to a mine. Her wreck has been found and is being explored but is very deep. there were three sister ships one being the Titanic, one of them actually rammed and sunk a German U boat that was trying to torpedo her.

http://archive.timesonline.co.uk/tol...-1916-11-23-08

are you going to make her in dazzle?

HMHS Britannic sunk off Kea island on the morning of 21 November 1916 near Athens not off Crete that's historically inaccurate!
Old 06-03-14, 05:51 PM   #1070
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 297

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral Von Gerlach View Post
Periods of silence at sea in combat are welcomed by sailormen as a time to fit ship, mend gear and prepare for action to come. For our mod maker I am sure it is a time for many duties including working on this fine project. I wish him well as always and encourage patience among us all. Rememberance too for Memorial day.
An important announcement about the mod:

First off, thanks for the positive sentiments.

Also, to anyone who is concerned about few posts recently, do not take silence the wrong way.

As of May 2014, I decided that the game will be developed for Silent Hunter 3 as well as 4. While implementing new ships into SH4, I discovered that the program suffered from severe instability - after about 30 minutes of play, the new ships caused the game to crash. So far I have not been able to resolve these problems, although I will continue to work on them.

While using SH3, I have been extremely impressed with how its engine has handled various improvements, including new submarine and ship models. Furthermore, new crew models based on SH4 have been tested successfully (with some limits). This has always been a big immersion killer for me - now, you will have SH4 quality crew for your submarines.

As old as SH3 is, when you add improved crew, new particle effects, better environmental mods, and more the game looks quite beautiful. Over all, SH3 has exceeded my expectations. I owe the GWX team, Onelifecrisis, privateer, racerboy/TDW, vanjast, skwas, Der Teddy Bar, flakmonkey, and many other modders a tremendous debt.

Although it may seem like more work, adding the mod to SH3 is a way to spread the risk, in case problems with the base SH4 engine cannot be resolved.

More news later. As long as the admins aren't opposed, there will also be a WOTK SH3 thread soon.
iambecomelife is online   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-14, 07:54 PM   #1071
Admiral Halsey
Best Admiral in the USN

Will this be a GWX compatible mod or will it need stock SH3 to work? Also i'm quite glad this is moving to SH3 since as much as I love SH4 ever since i've got SH3 i've had to admit that it just has this element that makes it much better.

Last edited by Admiral Halsey; 06-03-14 at 08:31 PM.
Old 06-04-14, 09:39 AM   #1072
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

That's great news regarding SH3 IABL

Sad to hear that SH4 gives some problems, though, but probably for a german uboat game the best base is ... well, a german uboat game like SH3
Old 06-04-14, 02:09 PM   #1073
peterthegreeksailor
The Silent Service

Downloads: 224

In SH3 you can switch between german and english from option so it would be more realistic!
Old 06-04-14, 03:22 PM   #1074
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by iambecomelife View Post
As long as the admins aren't opposed, there will also be a WOTK SH3 thread soon.

I think the only argument is going to be between Jim and myself to see who gets the honor of making it a sticky.

I hope SH4 works out, because it does have a more realistic crew management system and better graphics, not to mention the wonderful 'General Quarters' function. That said, SH3 has Commander with it's fine controls and Ship Names function. I can't wait to get to work on WWI merchant names.

Yes, I'm excited again.
Old 06-05-14, 05:36 AM   #1075
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Well you can have the honor but I'll take the honour

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-14, 01:34 PM   #1076
LGN1
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by iambecomelife View Post
Furthermore, new crew models based on SH4 have been tested successfully (with some limits). This has always been a big immersion killer for me - now, you will have SH4 quality crew for your submarines.
Great news, Iambecomelife!

Any plans about sharing how it works so that other mods can also benefit from your great discovery?

Regards, LGN1
LGN1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-14, 12:59 PM   #1077
Admiral Von Gerlach
Seasoned Skipper

Helping Peabody with the Japanese campaign I saw the limits and in some ways the fragile nature of the SH4 engine you ran into. SH3 is solid and tested and can carry a heavy load. I feel your decision shows both realism and fortitude and i applaud you for both. Please keep us informed and know we are behind you 110 percent and will of course help in any way we can.

Tho you are the creator and the Master and Commander we are indeed willing hands with stout hearts and true and will be behind you until launch and beyond. I am passing on the thread link to some professional sailormen who have expressed an interest in your work and they may in time have valueable feedback. I have btw entered into the ship building trade myself, just completed a Laker 1910 freighter and in the process found an amazing resource page of ship types of ships used by the USN during WWI showing valueable ship details:

http://www.shipscribe.com/usnaux/AK/ww1/w1ak.htm

i found it of great help. Have been making early steamships, but mostly coastal and insland water but i am seeing hull curves in my sleep

great work sir and carry on.
Old 06-19-14, 09:42 PM   #1078
Admiral Von Gerlach
Seasoned Skipper

several photos just found one i have seen before ..in case they are helpfull

Control Room UB 110

U 118 on the beach in the UK

Old 06-23-14, 04:19 PM   #1079
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 297

Thanks much! The control room of UB-110 is surreal looking - I know it would take me a lifetime to figure out those pipes & valves!

I read that Kaiserliche Marine U-Boat men were blindfolded and drilled relentlessly on what controls to use in an emergency - so they could do it under pressure, if the power went out.

@LGN1 - It's pretty simple to get new figures into SH3 with limited animations (using the "Watchman" controller via S3ditor to get bodies to rotate) - I'm very surprised nobody has done it before. The downside is you don't have a wide range of body movement, but in my opinion the better looking figures are worth it. I will post pictures later.
iambecomelife is online   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-14, 05:49 PM   #1080
Admiral Halsey
Best Admiral in the USN

Hey IABL. Will this be a GWX compatible mod when you make it for SH3 or will it be a stock mod?