SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > COLD WATERS
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-05-18, 02:03 PM   #16
Eagle1_Division
Bosun

Downloads: 15
Uploads: 0

Translation:

I was going down the freeway, and decided I could stop faster by putting my car in "reverse"...

Basically, right?

So the takeaway is, massive cavitation and transients, possible damage to ship.

It'd be great to see this implemented so I'm not tempted to just use "back emergency" to stop dead still and go all stealthy. Since, you know, I guess it's probably louder than launching a torpedo?

Implementation; cavitation for a second, a transient, all with a loudness proportional to your speed squared, and have the game roll a dice and take into account your speed to see if you just took on some propulsion damage or not.
Eagle1_Division is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-18, 02:19 PM   #17
FPSchazly
Good Hunting!

Downloads: 15
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle1_Division View Post
Translation:

I was going down the freeway, and decided I could stop faster by putting my car in "reverse"...

Basically, right?
Yeah, except without destroying your transmission

My videos:
**Exclusive Look at Modern Naval Warfare!**
Dangerous Waters Liu Doctrine (LwAmi
Learn to play Dangerous Waters
FPSchazly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-18, 10:24 PM   #18
Bubblehead Nuke
XO

Downloads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle1_Division View Post
Since, you know, I guess it's probably louder than launching a torpedo?
Just a bit louder...

Quote:
Implementation; cavitation for a second, a transient, all with a loudness proportional to your speed squared, and have the game roll a dice and take into account your speed to see if you just took on some propulsion damage or not.
Nah.. The propulsion train is DESIGNED for this kind of operation. It is loud, it shakes the hell out of the boat, but you will not damage anything.
As long as you are answering the backing bell you are going to be making more noise than normal due to the dynamics of the screw.

Like I said, you stand a large chance of losing the tail and that is bad, but you will not damage your propulsion train.

Last edited by Bubblehead Nuke; 01-06-18 at 03:03 PM.
Bubblehead Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-18, 11:49 AM   #19
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Downloads: 58

I remember hearing about an SSN that stripped its reduction gears.

The walkway (several feet above them) was buckled.
ET2SN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-18, 01:51 PM   #20
Bubblehead Nuke
XO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET2SN View Post
I remember hearing about an SSN that stripped its reduction gears.

The walkway (several feet above them) was buckled.

Um... I heard about that one.

They were pre-underway and they were spinning the shaft astern to clear the steam chests and they left the locking gear engaged.

With the shaft locked and power applied something has to give.

Last edited by Bubblehead Nuke; 01-11-18 at 09:47 PM.
Old 01-06-18, 02:24 PM   #21
ET2SN
ET2/SS

cool

OK, its been over twenty years for me since I got out but were you ever homeported out of Pearl?

It feels like we might know some of the same people.

USS Barbel (SS580) 1988-1991
USS Bremerton (SSN 698) 1991-1993
Old 01-06-18, 03:51 PM   #22
Julhelm
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 189

I think the game already makes you output more noise when you order reverse? If it doesn't it should for sure.

Also it's nice to see so many veterans post here who 'been there, done that' for real.
Julhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-18, 05:14 PM   #23
Bubblehead Nuke
XO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julhelm View Post
I think the game already makes you output more noise when you order reverse? If it doesn't it should for sure.
Unfortunately the devs have stated otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killerfish Games View Post
You're not giving away yourself. You are rapidly decelerating so your flow noise and engine noise will decrease quickly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julhelm View Post
Also it's nice to see so many veterans post here who 'been there, done that' for real.
I do not seek to make even a game like Cold Waters 'lifelike'. That would be too boring to say the least. Am trying to do is give you a glimpse into the world we lived and breathed in.

To be honest, what I would like to see it more Commanding Officer driven. Your crew KNOWS its job. You are relying on them to give you information so you can do your job. You are giving them commands and expect them to do their jobs.

Thus things like cavitation do not happen. The crew will stop you from making operational mistakes. You have to TELL them to cavitate.

It is the things like that which create a immersive environment. You are by god the CAPTAIN and your men are doing thier jobs with you in command.
Old 01-06-18, 08:09 PM   #24
Delgard
Skipper

Downloads: 48

Yes, I like it being CO-driven, but being informed is also paramount where a staff is involved.

Even if Weps is telling me that my launched torpedo is not directed on a line of bearing, I think he should.

Seeing the teamwork of all crew members reporting info and the CO taking that "science" and then adding his own Commander's "Art" to decisions marks teamwork.
Delgard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-18, 09:10 PM   #25
Capt Jack Harkness
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 210

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblehead Nuke View Post
Unfortunately the devs have stated otherwise.
Julhelm is one of the devs.
Capt Jack Harkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-18, 09:24 PM   #26
Bubblehead Nuke
XO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Jack Harkness View Post
Julhelm is one of the devs.
Then he directly contradicted what was put out by another dev.
Old 01-06-18, 10:22 PM   #27
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblehead Nuke View Post

To be honest, what I would like to see it more Commanding Officer driven. Your crew KNOWS its job. You are relying on them to give you information so you can do your job. You are giving them commands and expect them to do their jobs.

Thus things like cavitation do not happen. The crew will stop you from making operational mistakes. You have to TELL them to cavitate.
You've made some outstanding points.

I've felt in the past that (modern) sub games treat the platform like its a P-51 fighter plane. Its just you as the pilot and your hardware. I've seen many people who stream sub games play against the machine code more than they play the game itself. Far too many excursions to test depth (even worse, test depth at flank speed), aggressive to the point of being suicidal (you're the commander of the ship, something that's considered as a national asset, AND 110 to 120 crew members who have families back home), dog fights that completely miss the point of how modern subs and weapons were designed to be used, spam out 12 torps and then dodge the fish that get shot at you, etc., etc., etc...

Now, I realize that some of you are itching to say, "Aw c'mon. Its just a game.." which is fine. How about we play a game of tennis.. with a rugby ball, helmets, and padding? After all, its just a game, right?
Old 01-09-18, 10:01 PM   #28
Capt Jack Harkness
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 210

Quote:
You've made some outstanding points.

I've felt in the past that (modern) sub games treat the platform like its a P-51 fighter plane. Its just you as the pilot and your hardware. I've seen many people who stream sub games play against the machine code more than they play the game itself. Far too many excursions to test depth (even worse, test depth at flank speed), aggressive to the point of being suicidal (you're the commander of the ship, something that's considered as a national asset, AND 110 to 120 crew members who have families back home), dog fights that completely miss the point of how modern subs and weapons were designed to be used, spam out 12 torps and then dodge the fish that get shot at you, etc., etc., etc...

Now, I realize that some of you are itching to say, "Aw c'mon. Its just a game.." which is fine. How about we play a game of tennis.. with a rugby ball, helmets, and padding? After all, its just a game, right?
Well, sim junkies like myself are greatly appreciative of the community who makes it real. Subs, planes, cars, you name it, there's just something nagging in the back of the mind when you know it could be more real than it is...
Capt Jack Harkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-18, 07:02 PM   #29
subcritical
Watch

Downloads: 21

Quote:
OK, its been over twenty years for me since I got out but were you ever homeported out of Pearl?

It feels like we might know some of the same people.

USS Barbel (SS580) 1988-1991
USS Bremerton (SSN 698) 1991-1993
I was in Pearl from '92-95 and '98-99. I did have a friend that was on the 698 as RO when the dry dock mishap occurred, which should have been around that time.
subcritical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-18, 08:39 PM   #30
GeneralGamer
Navy Dude

Downloads: 158
Uploads: 3

radar

Back Emergency works well for slowing to fire a moss against a persistent torpedo or re-acquiring an enemy position to get a shot off at him. The way I figure it they already know where you are. Back Emergency isn't giving away anything. Next video tomorrow I will use this in battle.

I shot a Tigerish that an enemy Warship evaded by making full circles over and over with the torp about 15meters off his tail. Nothing I've ever seen before
Well worth watching for a laugh.

Visit, like and suscribe.

is the best!!!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwe...1_CdFU_Mw4-SrQ

GeneralGamer is offline   Reply With Quote