SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-12-17, 02:28 PM   #4501
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Downloads: 3211
Uploads: 0

Geoff: Have you tried FOTRSU? Better than TMO and with a lot of new candies and new ships.

Nice shot!

Fitzcarraldo
fitzcarraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-17, 10:10 AM   #4502
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff then View Post
Great Mod indeed! SH4+Tmo is the best Subsim out there, at least thats my opinion. Very easy to install and much more gameplay fun. No downsides, so use this mod if you want a better game. To Honor the work of all people involved, I snapped this sceenshot. Ahoi!
Nice shot, but game fail! As usual, and this bears directly on the celestial navigation people, the solar system in SH4 is messed up bad! Note the crescent moon close to the sun in the sky. First of all the sky would be too bright to see a crescent moon with the sun that high. BUT the worst thing is that a moon that close to the sun wouldn't be seen at all because it would only be about 1% illuminated. The crescent would be too thin to see, even after dark!

The phase of the moon is absolutely locked to its position in relation to the sun. The full moon always rises at sunset, 6 pm local time. The last quarter moon always rises at midnight.....and so on. This is way out of sync.

Unfortunately, this is hard-wired craziness on SH4's part and no mod can fix it. We're no better in this aspect with FOTRSU.

It's really horrifying to read fitzcarraldo say "Better than TMO." Ducimus is still my hero, the guy who made SH4 into something much greater than itself. He didn't cut off his ear like Van Gogh, but he was that obsessed with making TMO fabulous. And he did it all by himself. I work with a team who can share the load and feed off each other's ideas and can't imagine how difficult it must have been for Ducimus.

And FOTRSU is based on TMO v1.7, made while Ducimus' vision was pure and well-defined. Later he let criticism and player input influence him too much. When you lose vision, you lose excellence. He was burned out and his later versions showed the strain. So maybe he did cut off his ear and we just don't know about it.

But a huge salute to Ducimus. Most of the memorable experiences I've had with SH4 have been with TMO. FOTRSU wouldn't even exist without him.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-17, 04:35 PM   #4503
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Downloads: 3211

Of course, without the great Ducimus we don´t have TMO and FOTRSU. But, now, FOTRSU is a better development of TMO 17, and now is now. TMO has some problems FOTRSU solved. FOTRSU campaign is better than TMO campaign. TMO plus RSRDC isn´t TMO as Ducimus created it. I can play FOTRSU with some added mods to my taste, but TMO needed a lot of added mods. Ducimus is the father of the thing, but FOTRSU team, the sons, are developing the best megamod for SH4. I can´t think TMO was or is the best megamod for SH4. With all my respect to Ducimus, who created a mod I played for years.

Best regards.

Fitzcarraldo
fitzcarraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-17, 08:42 PM   #4504
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzcarraldo View Post
Of course, without the great Ducimus we don´t have TMO and FOTRSU. But, now, FOTRSU is a better development of TMO 17, and now is now. TMO has some problems FOTRSU solved. FOTRSU campaign is better than TMO campaign. TMO plus RSRDC isn´t TMO as Ducimus created it. I can play FOTRSU with some added mods to my taste, but TMO needed a lot of added mods. Ducimus is the father of the thing, but FOTRSU team, the sons, are developing the best megamod for SH4. I can´t think TMO was or is the best megamod for SH4. With all my respect to Ducimus, who created a mod I played for years.

Best regards.

Fitzcarraldo
Yes, we were all hurt by the extent to which Ducimus was burned out in the last two years. He totally lost his vision of the mod and started just making changes based on player input, sometimes doing it to spite the suggester. He let RSRDC into TMO with his blessing in spite of the fact that RSRDC changed just about everything in TMO and usually not for the better.

Of the supermod creators, only Webster, with GFO made a patch file to undo some of the damage RSRDC did to his mod. But Webster retained his vision. Ducimus did not, toward the end, and his mod suffered for it.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-17, 05:01 PM   #4505
Paladin132
Sailor man

Downloads: 61
Default Ok... New problems

Been awhile, my old system died and now I am running on a new one (Windows 10). I am getting several errors as I boot up after installing.

There is a new (not implemented) page <Page ChooseLoadSave> !

There are others but I have trouble getting them because it often causes a pretty sever crash. Anyone able to help me out perhaps? Thank you.
Paladin132 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-17, 10:20 PM   #4506
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Windows 10 does not like it when you play 10 year old games on it... Did you by-chance, install the DirectX v9c when offered the choice with the game install? If not, run the game install again, and use the older version of DirectX. The newer versions of it do not have the full library that Silent Hunter needs.

Also, do NOT install the game in the "C:\ Program Files (x86)" directory. If you've already done that, un-install it, and when you re-install, overwrite that "Program Files (X86)" portion of the path with a <Delete> button press, and just leave it at "C:\Ubisoft...", or whatever you want to make it. Windows "protects" the Program Files folders, and will restore any altered files it finds in there that were not authorized through the proper Windows API...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-18, 06:41 PM   #4507
Paladin132
Sailor man

Downloads: 61

Steam wouldn't let me install it anywhere else. It ran before I tried TMO but trying to get TMO running just didn't want to go... Any thoughts?
Paladin132 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-18, 07:26 PM   #4508
propbeanie

Steam is kind of strange about letting you move things around on your own computer, but it can be done. Windows makes that situation worse with what it does to mods applied in the Program Files directory. It's easiest to change the "Library" before you install the game through Steam, but it can be done afterwards by creating a new Library folder. That part is easiest to do if you have a 2nd hard drive in your computer. Here's a screenshot from my computer:

It shows the order to click things to get the dialog. That is in the Steam app on your computer, not online. The posting is post #4850 from the FotRSU thread (page 324) from back in July:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...81#post2508481

You can see that Steam still resides in C:\Program Files, but my Steam games are in the F:\Games folder.

When you install SH4 in Program Files on a Windows computer (other than XP), the OS will "protect" the "data integrity" of the folder, unless the edits come through a "duly authorized Windows interface"... ahem... JSGME is NOT recognized by the modern Windows (it's not "registered") as being allowed to change files, so the CFG and other files of that sort are "restored" to their former state (un-modded, in other words) by Windows. All this to protect you from yourself. What you end up with is a mixed-up mess of a combination of Stock, Mod and Windows, that sometimes won't allow the Stock game to work, even after you de-activate the mod.

Here is the "official" Steam 'blog' on moving after-the-fact:
Method #1 - Moving a Steam Installation and Games

and the "not-so-old" way:
Method #2 - How To Painlessly Move Your Steam Library...

THEBERBSTER also has the 2nd method on his tutorial page SH4 <> TUTORIALS <> HOW TO DO IT... thread. My Steam install on an older Win8 laptop does NOT like the 2nd method, and trashed everything Steam. I had to re-install the whole shmear, and that took most of a day on the lappy's wireless. I have no idea how Windows 10 would treat you in this. If you've only got a C: drive, Steam probably won't let you add a 2nd Library folder, and you'll have to "move" things like #1 above...

Old 01-13-18, 04:35 PM   #4509
Geoff then
Gunner

Downloads: 63

Well, FOTRSU is suggested so I'll give it a go then!
BTW, are there any good mods for the german campaign as well (like a megamod that works? more realism and stuff) or does FOTRSU affect the german campaign in any way? Since I'm completely done with SH5 I'm lacking proper UBOAT experience. Thanks for any help in advance!
Old 01-13-18, 08:37 PM   #4510
aanker
Pacific Thunder

Downloads: 236
Uploads: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff then View Post
Well, FOTRSU is suggested so I'll give it a go then!
BTW, are there any good mods for the german campaign as well (like a megamod that works? more realism and stuff) or does FOTRSU affect the german campaign in any way? Since I'm completely done with SH5 I'm lacking proper UBOAT experience. Thanks for any help in advance!
Don't give up on TMO, all by itself it is a great Mod. It has its own Campaign that's different than Stock.

Rockin Robbins made a nice video tutorial on how to make copies of SH4, and using Multi SH4 you can have more than one install.
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=228505

Other good mods are THEBERBSTEES All In One Beginners Mega Mod, another is just GFO, another is RFB.

One install should be the pristine install using Rockin Robbins method.

Another could be TMO, another could be FOTRSU, and another could be a U-Boat mod.

I can't recommend a U-Boat mod because I don't play that but I hear there are some good ones. I don't think you can have both a U-Boat megamod and a US fleetboat mod running at the same time.
Protect each one we ask of thee.
Bless those at home who wait and pray,
For their return by night and day."

Last edited by aanker; 01-15-18 at 11:43 AM.
aanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-18, 10:46 PM   #4511
propbeanie

The Uboats in SH4 stock are basically incomplete... In my opinion, one must do Operation Monsun from lurker_hlb3, the same fellow that did RSRDC. Add Omegu to it, and you get pretty close to a playable Uboat game in SH4
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...613#post835613

it can get rather complicated doing the installs, so be sure and read through all of lurker's post there, so that you're sure of the options you'll want to use. Quoting the author:
"FAILURE TO FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS WILL CAUSE OM NOT TO RUN CORRECTLY & SH4 TO CTD."

As far as I can tell, besides a person avoiding the "C:\ Program Files..." folders with the game install, the next thing to pay attention to is to NOT forget to eliminate Save game problems, either by the use of MultiSH4 for multiple SH4 installs and mods, or the deletion of all data in the "User / Documents / SH4" folder...

I found this while searching:

I don't know if they're any good or not, just found them, but he's got 8 vidz...

I second aankers advice, btw... take your time. The game will last at ~least~ 10 years for ya...

Old 01-14-18, 06:25 AM   #4512
Geoff then
Gunner

Downloads: 63

After some testing I will be going back to TMO again for now. The smoke/fire effects are indeed prettier, but my machine seems to have problems with them. And also I could not find any readme about what in particular has been changed, so, can you guys tell me what the "bigger" differences are between TMO and FOTRSU except Sound and Graphics, which are obvious.
And holy moly that OM+OMEGU looks pretty nice. Going to check that out very soon.

And yes, after going to hell and back with SH5, I already found heaven while playing SH4, especially with TMO.

Thanks for the Multi-install advice. I guess that would come quite handy when testing multiple mods!
Old 01-14-18, 09:15 AM   #4513
propbeanie

MultiSH is really useful, even for someone who mods the game. I've got 3 installs going for FotRSU. One for testing ideas and has all sorts of add-ins, one for actual mod testing for the next release, and one that is supposed to be the current release version. Unfortunately, I have a bad habit of using all three versions for whatever... Maybe I need a fourth install for FotRSU... But I do have those 3 FotRSU installs, OM, THEBERBSTER's version of Webster's GFO, Bleiente's Ralles Mod Soup, TMO, TMO / RSRDC, of which I use for The Traveller's mod. All of this is across 3 hard drives on my "Game" computer... - I use Rockin Robbins CMS on my F: drive installs.

As for FotRSU differences, the most recent posting is just the previous page here:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...69#post2482269

there are several others, of which another one is in this thread (I think)... We might have to put some of our videos together and have Rockin Robbins do some text for a "What Fall of the Rising Sun Ultimate is" thread...

Old 02-07-18, 09:56 AM   #4514
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 431
Uploads: 26

hello,

Playing TMO_wtw. 1941. Porpoise. home base is pearl.
two patrols out of pearl home base. at the start of each patrol, the boat departed from midway not pearl but it ended at pearl.
is that what was intended? everything else seems to be running fine.

mark
Generic Mod Enabler - v2.6.0.157
[C:\Ubisoft\SH4\MODS]

1 TMOwTw 2.50
1a wTw 2.50 Max Optics with Crosshair
1b wTw 2.50 Stock Sub Underwater Marker
1c U.S. Medals Fix II_TMOWTW
2 Webster's Eliminate Floating Plankton
3 Eye Patch for TMO v1.7
4_Bigger Better Protractors
5 Convoy Routes TMO 2.0
6 Pacific Sound Mod
7 Stop The Shouting
8 3000 Yard Bearing Tool (1920x)

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-18, 03:04 PM   #4515
aanker
Pacific Thunder

Downloads: 236
Uploads: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark bonamer View Post
hello,

Playing TMO_wtw. 1941. Porpoise. home base is pearl.
two patrols out of pearl home base. at the start of each patrol, the boat departed from midway not pearl but it ended at pearl.
is that what was intended? everything else seems to be running fine.

mark
Yes, departing from Midway with a home port of Pearl to return to is possible, so I can safely say it was intentional. The departure points can even be closer to Empire waters, almost anywhere the Mod maker wants.

Enjoy TMOwTW, the main thing is to have fun!

Happy Hunting!
Protect each one we ask of thee.
Bless those at home who wait and pray,
For their return by night and day."

aanker is offline   Reply With Quote