Click here to access the Tanksim website
SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

BUYING GAMES, BOOKS, ELECTRONICS, and STUFF
THROUGH THIS LINK SUPPORTS SUBSIM, THANKS!

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Tanksim.com

Old 02-26-11, 06:36 PM   #1
Freiwillige
The Old Man

Downloads: 24
Uploads: 0
Default Greatest WWII era tank sim on an old console?

Would you believe me if I had told you that the most realistic armored warfare sim for world war II was made for the Playstation 1 followed by it's younger brother on the PS2!?

I am sure that many of you have never even heard of it so for those may I introduce the Panzer Front series.

Here is a video showing the famous battle known as Barkmanns corner

The sheer amount of historical study that went into the map layouts is amazing. Shells often ricochet or splinter into glowing fragments if the armor is to strong. They cut no corners for balance and you will learn first hand what its like to watch your shells bounce harmlessly off of a Panther or tiger if you haven't flanked them and got close.

The different rounds that were carried are simulated and you have to manually select what you want loaded.

5 Army's are in the game and the list of vehicle you can control are huge.
So here is a partial list
American M-10,M-4,M-4-76, M-5, M4A3

Russian T-34, T-34\42, JS1, JS2, JS3

German, Panzer III short and long 50mm, Panzer IV, PzrIVH, Several panthers, Tiger 1 early and late, Tiger II, Stug's, Jagtiger, Jag panther and many more.

English. Cromwell, Firefly, Churchill, sherman

Japan-a few

The game has allot of missions for each nation and you can control all your wingmen, Where to go, How fast, Offensive, Defensive full controll!

Each mission is as historically accurate as possible.

Ever want to fire up your tiger and drive into Villiars Bocage as Micheal Wittman and annihilate the British? You can! And the mission starts with you and the enemy in accurate position but the rest is up to you!

Ever wanted to do the same in a t-34? You can! Ever wanted to see how Witmann would do if the enemy had Joseph Stalin II tanks in Villairs Bocage and you with a Tiger II? You can!

The game has long term playability because all the forces are interchangeable with a click!

I have been playing this sim for years and now with Emulators you can play it on your PC and relive every famous tank battle from the eastern front to Normandy!

Tanks can drive through hedges and surprise the enemy or find a waiting anti tank gun emplacement! Infantrymen on both sides scout move with you and call artillery against you!

You too can call artillery on some maps. And aircraft can swoop down and take you out so keep your hull down!

I recommend this to any serious Tank simmer. Graphically its PS1 so its dated but its realism is a 9/10

Now on to the PS2 version known as Panzer front Ausf B

Same attention to detail, better graphics and this time it's only Afrika Corps battles. Play as Italians, Germans or British 8 historically accurate battles.

Old 02-26-11, 09:34 PM   #2
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 61
Uploads: 20

That's flitted into my radar screen a couple of times, been meaning to keep an eye out for it, but yes, the level of detail is very good indeed.
Oberon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-11, 11:46 PM   #3
frinik
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 0
Default Greatest WWII era tank sim on an old console?

I have the PS2 version known as Panzer front Ausf B but I don´t play it much.Too few missions and not much action or challenge to be frank.

The graphics are nothing special and frankly pc sims are much, much better.

Can´t speak for the PS1 version that seems more interesting.Any idea where it can be purchased?
frinik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-11, 03:59 PM   #4
Freiwillige
The Old Man

Downloads: 24

Yes the PS1 version is not graphically as advanced as the PS2 version but it makes up for it with the sheer number of battles.

Unfortunately there are three versions. Panzer Front (Orig) Panzer Front Bis (Japanese super version) More battles and a fully functioning mission builder. This is the one you want to get your hands on! But it was released in Japan only so it would have to play on a Japanese PS1 Or CPU PSX emulator as I do.

http://thepanzerfront.yuku.com/ <--is your best bet to find a copy
Freiwillige is offline   Reply With Quote