SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-04-16, 07:13 PM   #1
Red Devil
The Old Man

Downloads: 258
Uploads: 0
Default SH4 and graphic cards

I thought I had the end result regarding SH4 and graphics. But, on a whim, and various 'warning signs' I decided to del Nvidia GEforce 750ti graphics card and buy a new one.

I elected for a Sapphire AMD Radeon R9 380 Nitro 4GB GDDR5 Graphics Card (PCI Express 3.0, HDMI 1.4, DVI-I, DVI-D, Display Port 1.2, 256-Bit)

The difference is absolutely amazing. I once described my Nvidia card as almost like tv; but I could not have been more wrong. This card is really amazing. It not only loads SH4 a darn sight quicker but the waves nearly made me sea sick!!! When I loaded via Nvidia, the bow wave on my balao took a few seconds to adopt its proper' colour' - my new card is instant. Love it!!! The new card requires direct power from power unit, into the 2 x 6 slot etc in front after installing into slots.

This is not an ad, I want to help my fellow Captains in the war against cowardice and tyranny.
>
Darkness is only the absence of Light; Ignorance is only the absence of knowledge ©

www.worldwartwo.uk
www.captainwalker.uk
Red Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-16, 11:18 AM   #2
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Downloads: 305
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Devil View Post
I thought I had the end result regarding SH4 and graphics. But, on a whim, and various 'warning signs' I decided to del Nvidia GEforce 750ti graphics card and buy a new one.

I elected for a Sapphire AMD Radeon R9 380 Nitro 4GB GDDR5 Graphics Card (PCI Express 3.0, HDMI 1.4, DVI-I, DVI-D, Display Port 1.2, 256-Bit)

The difference is absolutely amazing. I once described my Nvidia card as almost like tv; but I could not have been more wrong. This card is really amazing. It not only loads SH4 a darn sight quicker but the waves nearly made me sea sick!!! When I loaded via Nvidia, the bow wave on my balao took a few seconds to adopt its proper' colour' - my new card is instant. Love it!!! The new card requires direct power from power unit, into the 2 x 6 slot etc in front after installing into slots.

This is not an ad, I want to help my fellow Captains in the war against cowardice and tyranny.
I have the same card, except mine is made by XFX. Have to say I've been very happy with the results I get on the games I play, including SH4.

Head Deep and Keep'em Astern" - LtCDR Samuel D Dealy
SHIV Guide | Imperial Japanese Navy | US Submarines

cdrsubron7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-16, 08:17 AM   #3
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

The nVidia 750ti is WAY more graphics card than SH4 needs. If you had issues with it they had to be software related. That card is four times faster than my GTS 250 and my card has no issues playing SH4, even concurrently with other games. Even my card is pure overkill. I looked at buying a 750ti last month after I helped my daughter build a new computer. Decided there was no way I could justify buying one because all the games I like play flawlessly on the GTS 250.

She's playing games way more demanding than SH4 on her 750ti and has no issues at all. My brother just installed a 750ti and had problems, which turned out to be a tired power supply. Although the 750ti is a beastly power saver and took less than half the power of his old nVidia 8800, his power supply needed every watt of its 350W per 12V bundle and couldn't deliver any more. The new power supply fixed it totally.

Lots of things can come into play with graphics card performance and it's not fair to disparage a card which is clearly ten times more powerful than SH4 demands. I am glad your new card works, but the 750ti would also have worked had you sorted out your issues.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-16, 08:38 AM   #4
Red Devil
The Old Man

This was not specifically sh4, but all operations on my pc. Everything has improved. Especially SH4, but that's only a part.
>
Darkness is only the absence of Light; Ignorance is only the absence of knowledge ©

www.worldwartwo.uk
www.captainwalker.uk
Old 02-06-16, 02:43 PM   #5
woodenboat
Mate

Downloads: 5

Since I'm all new to this, how do I if know my graphics card is doing what it is supposed to be doing? Here's just a little info:

My computer was bought used and I don't have any idea what sort of graphics muscle it has. And I do not in anyway pretend to know much about computers. A number of you folks talk in these threads about mods you're making to the game here and there and I must say, it's completely foreign to me.

I will add this. Many of the textures in this game don't hold a candle to some of the other sims with which I have had experience. I'm crazy for racing sims with one of my favorites being Forza 5. OMG, this sim will make your eyes bleed they're so good! On the other hand, SH4 is almost a decade old. So, I think that this says a lot about the quality of the sim in that many people are still playing it after all this time.
woodenboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-16, 04:07 PM   #6
Red Devil
The Old Man

post your card details someone will help you
>

www.worldwartwo.uk
www.captainwalker.uk
Old 02-06-16, 05:54 PM   #7
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Downloads: 305
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodenboat View Post
Since I'm all new to this, how do I if know my graphics card is doing what it is supposed to be doing? Here's just a little info:

My computer was bought used and I don't have any idea what sort of graphics muscle it has. And I do not in anyway pretend to know much about computers. A number of you folks talk in these threads about mods you're making to the game here and there and I must say, it's completely foreign to me.

I will add this. Many of the textures in this game don't hold a candle to some of the other sims with which I have had experience. I'm crazy for racing sims with one of my favorites being Forza 5. OMG, this sim will make your eyes bleed they're so good! On the other hand, SH4 is almost a decade old. So, I think that this says a lot about the quality of the sim in that many people are still playing it after all this time.

If you go to your Device Manager, look for Display Adapter, click on the arroe to the left of it and your video card should be listed.

Head Deep and Keep'em Astern" - LtCDR Samuel D Dealy
SHIV Guide | Imperial Japanese Navy | US Submarines

cdrsubron7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-16, 06:58 PM   #8
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Devil View Post
This was not specifically sh4, but all operations on my pc. Everything has improved. Especially SH4, but that's only a part.
Something was wrong other than the graphics card or the card itself was defective in some way. There is absolutely no way you could have problems in "all operations on your pc" when most of that does not demand accelerated graphics. If everything improved you fixed something other than the kind of graphics card you use.

My 250 GTS card is about 1/3 the speed of a 750ti and it rips through SH4 like a demon. No hesitation. No waiting to paint water. No issues. And I'm using a four year old Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3 motherboard, Athlon II X3 455 three core processor, 4 GB of RAM.....absolutely a lower middle of the road computer. There's nothing here to inspire shock and awe and SH4 runs totally fast and smooth.

I'm sure your computer is much better. If you have issues then either software or hardware is set up wrong. You don't need anything special to run SH4 very, very well, and certainly an nVidia 750ti is ten times better than what is needed. There is no excuse for any game issue due to using that card. I'd recommend it to anyone. I HAVE recommended it to three people and they are all overjoyed and playing games that make SH4 look like Pong.

@woodenboat, I prescribe a download of Belarc Advisor. Now don't go getting serious about the security standards it pushes. You'll end up with a computer that is very unpleasant to use and difficult to diagnose if you do. But it does a great job of generating a complete inventory of your machine, both hardware and software, with all your software licenses and keys. Print it out and you'll KNOW your machine like a pro. The completeness of its report is truly astounding.

Last edited by Rockin Robbins; 02-06-16 at 07:17 PM.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-16, 10:37 PM   #9
woodenboat
Mate

Downloads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrsubron7 View Post
If you go to your Device Manager, look for Display Adapter, click on the arroe to the left of it and your video card should be listed.
Ok, that was easy. Thank you for that.

My puter says it has an Intel(R) HD Graphics
woodenboat is offline   Reply With Quote