Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-21-18, 01:18 PM   #1
Gerald
SUBSIM Newsman

Downloads: 548
Uploads: 0

Default Closing tech’s gender gap will take decades

Quote:
NEW YORK (Reuters Breakingviews) - About one in three employees at Google, Facebook and Apple is a woman. That’s an imbalance that tech sector executives Sheryl Sandberg and Tim Cook say they want to change. Yet even if their companies set a target of just over half their new recruits being women, a https://tmsnrt.rs/2pN1zEp shows that closing the gender gap will take up to 15 years.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-t...-idUSKCN1II20E

In some industries and (government), I think that it may take considerably longer than that, ie 15 years.

Marie Curie

Gerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-18, 03:53 PM   #2
JU_88
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 11

I think they may never close it, few are willing to openly confront the elephant in the room -that there are a few inconvienient biological differences between the sexes. We are hooked on the progressive / post modern idea that men and women are 100% interchangeable and that our gender is pretty much all just social construction.

Women on average simply don't appear to gravitate towards that line of career as frequently as men do on average.
From an early age girls are usually more interested in people/social patterns, while boys are usually more interested in things/machines.
Look no further than the lack of a Gender parity right here on Subsim.

Of course there are plenty of exceptions on both sides.
But they have been doing all sorts of promotions and programs in both academia and the tech industry to get more women in to STEM fields for sometime now, but they are just not getting the numbers they want for a gender parity. They are often just more interested in fields like psychology, arts, humanities, political science, media studies etc.

Google Engineer James Demoore raised the issue in memo, he was trying to come up with solutions to make tech more appealing to woman, but he pointed out biological differences in Gender (Wrong think) -and was promptly branded a misogynist and fired.
yeah.....

Well, we will see in 15 years I guess, I wouldn't hold your breath though..

Last edited by JU_88; 05-24-18 at 04:13 PM.
JU_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-18, 01:27 AM   #3
Gerald
SUBSIM Newsman

Downloads: 548

^I agree, it will take considerably longer than 15 years to reduce the gaps.

Marie Curie

Gerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-18, 01:39 AM   #4
Buddahaid
Shark above Space Chicken

Downloads: 160

I don't expect the "gap" will ever close because I don't expect that the genders will ever meet in the middle, ever. I just expect that there will be equal opportunity regardless of gender so the best person fills the job.

"Tomorrow belongs to those who can hear it coming."
David Bowie
Buddahaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-18, 03:17 AM   #5
JU_88
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 11

Yeah exactly, you can ensure equal opportunity between the genders, that's a good thing. But you cannot enforce equal out come - that is a bad thing.
The trouble is we had equal opportunity since the 70's but the gaps have remained. The feminists main argument being that its caused by institutional sexism / patriarchy, so we must force employers to ensure they have gender parity (at the top of big corperations, anyway - feminist don't seem to care about gender parity in sewage maintenance, mining, and other mucky and dangerous jobs)..

The feminists are not 100% wrong though, as sexism does exists and may well theoretically account for some of it, but their are many, many other bigger factors (differences between men and women) that they simply refuse to even entertain as it goes against their ideology / narrative.
Though some feminists do seem to acknowledge that men tend to be more assertive in asking for a pay rise.

They have already tried re-socializing girls and boys in Sweden to make an equal society. It didn't work there either.
All that really happened is that their birth rates plummeted.

Last edited by JU_88; 05-25-18 at 03:51 AM.
JU_88 is offline   Reply With Quote