Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-24-18, 01:21 PM   #1
noxxy
Nub

Downloads: 2
Uploads: 0
Default Few questions about SH5 and TWoS

Hi,

Been a long time since I played this but getting back into it. Just ran into some minor issues and wanted to see if there are known issues, known solutions, or something else.

1) Its September 2nd, 1939. I spotted a sub on surface outside of Danzig(sp?). As far as I know it was a U class. Now it didn't have a flag but when i set my gunners to fire at will they started shooting at it. I managed to sink it with a 3 torp spread snap shot and it seemed like i got it right about the class since crew reported it sunk.

Now, wiki says they didn't get commissioned until 1940+. Is that an error on part of the game/mod or would crew report it as U class because that's what I sent to TDC?

Also, my ship log didn't update with the tonnage or that I sunk a warship. I know its a common problem but since my other merchant sinkings has counted I found this very strange. It was within the area of operation. Any insight would be appreciated.

2) I found that wave action on surface makes it impossible to make surface attacks with periscopes or UZO. Is that expected or am I missing some kind of stabilization button?

3) If I set difficulty at Realistic and enable external camera would that make it Hard setting or realistic with camera?

4) Is there a way to manually set the height of the mast in the stadimeter if I don't want to use the book?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
noxxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-18, 02:18 PM   #2
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4

Welcome to Subsim, Noxxy

1)
Congrats for sinking one, they are difficult targets
For their historical accuracy in the game, I don't know, I will let others jump in.
The reason for no entry in the log is that the target may have sunken because of bad weather (despite you hit it with your torpedos). Was there rough sea? In this case you won't get credited for sinking, also applies for other enemy ships, that's a shortcomming of the game, but it should happen only rarely.

2) In the game options you can toggle stabilization for optics. Switching it on will reduce your Realism %.

3)
What do you mean exactly? External camera can be used as a cheat but doesn't have to. It's mostly there to enjoy outside views in non-combat situations wether you play realistic or not. Using it in combat is pure cheating though. That said, I must admit that I sometimes use it to identify the ship flag, yeah shame on me...

4)
No for the mast, but you can manually set the range in the WO window, or you can use the book, use the icon on its lower right (difficult to see) which will send data to stadimeter, then you should be on the stadimeter to set the range in the WO window.
(But I don't know if it works like that when playing at 100% and in real navigation)

Last edited by XenonSurf; 08-24-18 at 02:34 PM.
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-18, 03:14 PM   #3
noxxy
Nub

Downloads: 2

Thanks for the reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by XenonSurf View Post

3)
What do you mean exactly? External camera can be used as a cheat but doesn't have to. It's mostly there to enjoy outside views in non-combat situations wether you play realistic or not. Using it in combat is pure cheating though. That said, I must admit that I sometimes use it to identify the ship flag, yeah shame on me...
To clarify, I am wondering if the checkboxes represent all the realism settings or if there are hidden ones, like AI sensitivity, enemy damage, etc. between Realistic and Hard. So if I pick Hard and disable external camera, is it really the same as picking Realistic or is it something else?
noxxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-18, 04:27 PM   #4
BrokenPrism
Swabbie

Downloads: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by noxxy View Post
Thanks for the reply

To clarify, I am wondering if the checkboxes represent all the realism settings or if there are hidden ones, like AI sensitivity, enemy damage, etc. between Realistic and Hard. So if I pick Hard and disable external camera, is it really the same as picking Realistic or is it something else?

I don't think there are, but i haven't read anything about it nor tested it out myself, so take it with a grain of salt...

But you will propably get a better answer in the TWoS Thread in the Modding section.
BrokenPrism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-18, 09:26 PM   #5
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4

I see what you mean now. Hard and Realistic are just presets for how many boxes will be activated, anything else being 'Custom'. What counts is the overall % value for difficulty.
To know if there are hidden values, open the *.cfg file in your savegame folder and go look for the values. If some values are there but not present in the game options, then they were hidden. None of them are hidden AFAIK.

In TWoS you can only get 99% by putting everything to highest difficulty. For 100% you must play at Real Navigation + something else I don't remember.

And then, of course there are other settings through the mod: It's called OFEV, Options File Editor Viewer with a ton of options, albeit no difficulty options AFAIK.
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-18, 09:50 PM   #6
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome aboard!

noxxi!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-18, 04:29 AM   #7
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

A Warm Welcome To The Subsim Community > noxxy
Subsim <> Make A Donation <> See The Benefits <> Support The Community
SH3 – 4 - 5 Tutorials > downloads > Other Useful Information > See Links in My Signature Below
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote