Click here to access the Tanksim website
SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

BUYING GAMES, BOOKS, ELECTRONICS, and STUFF
THROUGH THIS LINK SUPPORTS SUBSIM, THANKS!

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Tanksim.com

Old 03-03-06, 11:20 AM   #1
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Default T +30 hours: First impressions of SBP

1. Graphics of the environment do a very convincing job at 1024, no AA and AF. Frames are good. 3D-layout of terrain is great. Vehicle models look well, too.
2. Immersion of actually riding the tank is very high.
3. Sound is that of SB1 with many more details added, a true tank opera. The number of sound files, said the sound engineer, went up from 105 in SB1 to over 650.
4. Mission planning is a challenge. The tactics aspects of SBP has a steep and long learning curve. That is no criticism, but a compliment.
5. Due to point 5, the sim will have an immense longevity for those who are interested in this stuff.
6. Bugs, showstoppers: very few minor irregularities, nothing I would mark as a bug-for effect, flaw, error. I yet need to see the weak micro-spot in the frontal armor of a T72, as reported in other forums.
7. I spend the night and this day testing the basics (what needs to be expected in details and realism) concerning ballistics and weapon effects at different ranges, shooting angles and armor types. SBP passed woith flying colours.
8.Importimng missions from SBgold works easy, and it works, overall, well.

If you are an ex-tanker wanting to relive old memories: full-heartly recommend. Get it! Seeing/hearing is believing.

Now it is testing the AI and mission planning. After that, the major vehicles will receive my undivided attention one by one.

So far I feel like this:

Old 03-03-06, 11:59 AM   #2
Engineer

Downloads: 2

Yeah well, but i would like to know what is much changed compared to the old steel beasts?
We all know that graphics and such are great, but what makes this sim much differ from the previous version?

I would like to know how smart is the AI is and how much can you use of real life tactics against the Ai? without finding it's back door to beat it up as it was in the begining of sh3.

I've read that there is no campain mode, which is a real draw back for me.

http://www.dreadnoughtproject.org/heinrich/main.htm
Current stage: 2 - Pre Alpha
2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-06, 12:12 PM   #3
Skybird
Soaring

Fully detailed in-depth review is in the works. Gimme some more days.

It's no game, don't think of it in game-related terms. It's a training-tool from the real military. The military's demands formed the shape of it. Game stuff is not high on the military's agenda.

As another brief review said: function over form.

It's better, but more complex and difficult than a game.
Old 03-03-06, 12:51 PM   #4
TteFAboB
Admiral

Downloads: 4

There is a mission editor, I hope, did you tried your luck with it? How user unfriendly is it?
Old 03-03-06, 01:23 PM   #5
Skybird
Soaring

Editor is perfect and easy to handle. Best editor I know, besides that of Flashpoint. I used it a lot for my testing needs. The system that controls unit bhehavior and movement also is top class (like in SB1).
Old 03-03-06, 02:55 PM   #6
Alan323
Swabbie

Downloads: 0

For a quick comparison of the Sim old vs new check this out.
http://www.simhq.com/simhq3/sims/boa...;f=38;t=000712
Old 03-04-06, 07:16 AM   #7
Engineer

Quote:
Fully detailed in-depth review is in the works. Gimme some more days.

Quote:
For a quick comparison of the Sim old vs new check this out.
http://www.simhq.com/simhq3/sims/boa...;f=38;t=000712
thanks

Old 03-04-06, 12:43 PM   #8
porphy
Commodore

Downloads: 4

Ok, I can't just sit here and read about this sim any more. Just got i t ordered. Bring it to Sweden asap please!

Cheers Porphy

"A paranoid is simply someone in possession of all the facts."
W. B.
porphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-06, 01:01 PM   #9
Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by porphy
Ok, I can't just sit here and read about this sim any more. Just got i t ordered. Bring it to Sweden asap please!

Cheers Porphy
LOL
I give you right on that!!

So besides the M1 and Leo what other beasts you can drive with?

Old 03-04-06, 01:59 PM   #10
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by porphy

Cheers Porphy
LOL
I give you right on that!!

So besides the M1 and Leo what other beasts you can drive with?
Ehem, here we go...

VEHICLE PARK
-------------------

We are at the part of the program where you will learn what vehicles are available to you. Some of the crewable vehicles come with complete and detailed 3D interiors of very good quality. Right now the summary of the list reads like this:

Crewable vehicles:
-------------------------
US: M1A1, M2A2, M3A2, M113, M113MICLIC, M113 Engineer, HMMWV, FIST-V.

German: Leo1A5, Leo2A4, Leo2A5.

Australian: Leo1AS (dual magnification sights for the gunner in both thermal and day view); ASLAV-25 (the Australian version of the LAV-25, with thermal view and the auxiliary sight for the 25mm Bushmaster); ASLAV-PC (personnel carrier version with a flex mount cal .50.); ASLAV Command (artillery response time bonus); ASLAV Support (fuel tanker). However, the Australian vehicles have (so far) no 3D interiors and are driven via the standard interface you got used to from SB1, they were packed in late and surprisingly, due to late arriving demands by the Australian army.

I surely miss the probably three best battle tanks in the world, the latest incarnations of the Leo2: the A6 variant, the Challenger 2 and the A2 variant of the M1.

Later (free) addon will make either the T-72 or the T-80 playable, too and who knows what this dedicated community of SB can do!?

AI-only vehicles:
----------------------
Russian: T-72, T-80, BMP-1, BMP-2, BTR-80, BMD-2, BRDM-2 (with/without AT), Ural truck, Hind Mi-24.

US: HEMTT (Cargo and Fuel), M113 (Medic, TOW, Command, Observer), HMMWV TOW, M901, MT-55 bridgelayer, LAV-25.

German: Jaguar ATM, Biber bridgelayer, Marder-3, Mercedes truck (2 versions).

Others: YPR-765, Piranha, ASLAV Medic (Australia)

T-55s and T-60s, already modeled, are confirmed to be included in a later update. I’m sure that more vehicles will be added to these updates.

Did I miss something? Maybe. But the list already is mouthwatering, isn’t it. Please understand that „AI only“ does not mean „red faction only“. You can create missions where your friendly forces are made up both of Western and Eastern equipment as well.

Mean enough - so far it is only the Reds showing up with air support, the infamous Mi24 Hind. Blue has no gunships and no dedicated anti air units, so you need to deal with the Hinds with infantry SAMs, tank cannons and tank guns. They are not invincible, key is to see them early (which can be difficult). If you let them linger around they really will chew up your platoons pretty badly, and quickly. A mission designer of course is free to make red equipment available for the blue side as well. Why not line up your Abrams and Leopards with a flight of Hinds? Probable that we will see Apaches or Tigers in the future, but not certain. But for the time being, I for myself will prefer the Hind to be left out of missions, or used as lightly armed reconnaissance flights only. They also are not simulated with a realistic flight model (which is not needed for the purpose of the sim), so the way they maneuver sometimes looks a bit odd and definitely is not physically correct. Purists may complain, but I book it as a minor thing only.

There always has been some minor requests for fixed wing units such as the A-10 or the Su-25, but I think the developer will stick to his policy and leave them out completely. It simply does not make any sense for a sim with a focus of interest like SB to include fixed-wing tank killers – because tanks can do little about them. Modern tanks have no real potential to counter air threats of this caliber all by themselves, and I cannot see much fun in riding your Abrams and then getting blown up by a flight of Frogfoots that just happened to stroll by, while you are unable to do anything about it, neither by tactical planning, nor by trying to fight them. SB is no complete war simulator, but focuses on mechanized ground warfare. The decision not to include planes makes sense, and is very reasonable, in my opinion. And believe me: once you got started you will not miss them anyway
Old 03-04-06, 02:09 PM   #11
Skybird
Soaring

T + 50H...

Testing basic weapon ballistics and weapon effects over various ranges and at various shooting angles on armor, and testing the AI controlling the mission management and unit behavior I have finished. I'm pleased with the outcome

This night goes into the editors: map editor, terrain type editor, mission editor. Shouldn't be too complex, the system is very intuitive.

From tomorrow on I will test at least the major vehicles (M1, M2/3, Leo1, Leo2), one by one. It is not meant to become an expert after just one day with each of these, but to be able to judge if their functionality works as advertised. that will take until mid-week, I assume.

After that finishing the text, killing the typos - and I'll be done. Then it is up to Neal how fast it is out.

I have to say, this is one of the best software buys I ever made. And I ams till waiting for the first major bug to raise it's ugly head. so far it works almost perfect, and technical stability is rocksolid: no freeze or ctd even after repeatedly switchig bteween sim and desktop. I think my review is aiming at a top score.
Old 03-04-06, 04:05 PM   #12
Bluewings
Torpedoman

Downloads: 0

Good work so far Skybird

For the past 4 days , the SB Teamspeak server has been on fire
Multi-player games are launching non-stop .

See there :
http://www.steelbeasts.com/TS_Viewer/TS_view.php

The "Virtual Units" are all back to life and recruiting .
Any volunteer welcome , we 'll put you up to speed in no time

Must go now , I have a Co-op US vs Russia starting in few minutes ...

Cheers .
Old 03-04-06, 04:44 PM   #13
SubSerpent
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Is the Hind gunship playable or only for AI?
Old 03-04-06, 05:03 PM   #14
Skybird
Soaring

Crewable and playable is two different things. ALL vehicles are playable in the understanding of including them in the forces of your (Blue's) side. You can give them orders via mission planning, or via ingame-map, and outside view. No big thing to line up T72 with a couple of Leos and Bradleys, but you wouldn't be able to man the T72. You can also setup a mission where you fight with German Leos (crewable) and Marders (non-crewable) versus not russian, but american tanks, M1 and M2/3. Crewable means that you actually can board a vehicle and man the stations it offers (at least commander, often also gunner, driver), by that controlling the vehicle and it's unit from onboard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubSerpent
Is the Hind gunship playable or only for AI?
The answer is there.
Quote:
AI-only vehicles:
----------------------
Russian: (...) Hind Mi-24.
You can recruit it for your team, but you cannot board it.

BTW, I just tested the Biber bridgelayer. Works like a charm, fully animated. and the map editor - a breeze, but takes time to design a good landscape. It works exactly like a paint program. very simple, very effective.
Old 03-04-06, 06:00 PM   #15
Engineer

How is driving modeled, do you have to change the gears like you do that in t-72 balkan on fire, or is is still as it was in the old version with predefined speeds?