Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-26-21, 10:34 PM   #1
CJMars
Seaman

Downloads: 46
Uploads: 0
Default TDC and other curiosities

Greetings fellow Captains!

I had a few curiosities about the TDC and some random stuff.

1 - When measuring the range to target, I just wanted to confirm that I understand this properly: crosshairs need to be at the waterline of the target then stack the image with the tallest point on the ship, correct? So how will this work if the ship in question is not at a perfect 90 degrees?

2 - What is the general visual range of target vessels ie how close can I be during daylight before the ships will notice me?

3 - If I'm sinking bow first, would blowing ballast and going full reverse be a viable tactic?

4 - Finally, is there a mod available that will give me some normal dials and readouts? I don't particularly like using "Enter" to view things like battery and CO2 status.

That's all. Thank you in advance for your help.

Cheers to you and those on eternal patrol.

CJMars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-21, 11:48 PM   #2
bstanko6
Admiral

Downloads: 390
Uploads: 13

1) yes, and it doesn’t matter the angle on the bow.

2) depends on the weather. Generally, you want to keep just the mast of the ship your hunting visible, the rest should be below the horizon.

3) Usually no, your ability to come back to the surface depends on how bad your ship has been damaged. And also how good your crew is in repairing it.

4) Not sure, but there are a lot of interface mods that will help. Just check out the download section.

DISCORD
https://discord.gg/6tFeTSUmVc
bstanko6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-21, 07:04 PM   #3
CJMars
Seaman

Downloads: 46
Default Conserving fuel?

Here's another interesting question: has anybody tried swapping back and forth from diesel to electric engines on the return home to conserve fuel? If so, would that actually work?
CJMars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-21, 07:31 PM   #4
derstosstrupp
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 489

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJMars View Post
Here's another interesting question: has anybody tried swapping back and forth from diesel to electric engines on the return home to conserve fuel? If so, would that actually work?
I’m not sure if it would work in the game, but it shouldn’t. It takes diesel to charge your batteries after all, and the diesels need to work that much harder to do so, so in the end you’re still spending more diesel in the long run by recharging.

One-Stop Targeting Shop:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...WwBt-1vjW28JbO
My YT Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIJ...9FXbD3S2kgwdPQ
derstosstrupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-21, 10:49 PM   #5
bstanko6
Admiral

Downloads: 390
Uploads: 13

You can switch engines in game. There is one big problem though. In an emergency, if you’re caught using your electrics, and you have to dive and you find yourself in a depth charging, you’ve used up a lot of your electricity to evade. A depth charging can last several in game hours

DISCORD
https://discord.gg/6tFeTSUmVc
bstanko6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-21, 03:05 AM   #6
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Quote:
yes, in SH V on the Churchill Express scenario-sinking 5 transports, even using French port Dakar to refuel enroute to ambush sites at Freetown or even further at Capetown (where the ships are sitting ducks at anchor) on the African coast, meticulous alternation 'twixt recharging on the surface at a fuel conserving pace and slow but complete battery consumption at scope depth are necessary to regain the French coast port of St Nazaire.

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-21, 12:21 PM   #7
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

SHO Re: conserving fuel...

Quote:
Yeah, it is doable & depends on the boat, I think.

I remember once doing a career start off with a Type II uboat, based out of Wilhelmshaven. (mind you, that this was in SH3... ) Ended getting a patrol order for the west side of England,, a bit of a stretch for a Type II. Just managed to complete the patrol... ended up the last bit of the return leg back to base... doing that submerge, run on batteries, surface after draining them down & night falling, recharge submerge after recharge then rinse, lather & repeat.

Long & short of it, by the time I hit base, the diesels were guzzling the dregs at the bottom of the tanks.. BUT... I did make it back to base.

So, again... Yeah, you can do it... should you do so on a continuous basis... NOT so sure on that.. all it takes is 1 good attack on the uboat & well... ya in for a world of hurt... with the worst a complete loss of your career.

Hope this info helps...

M. M.