SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

View Poll Results: What time period would you like the Cold War Mod to encompass?
Early Cold War: 1947 to the early 1960s 148 14.23%
Mid Cold War: 1960s to 1980s 194 18.65%
Late Cold War: 1980's to 1991 147 14.13%
I want the whole thing! 1947 to 1991 551 52.98%
Voters: 1040. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-07-08, 04:42 AM   #1
Capt Jack Harkness
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 210
Uploads: 1
Default [WIP] Cold War Mod

This is a continuation of my request thread, created because now there is actual work being done on the project. The idea is for a 1960's or 1970's Cold War total conversion mod involving American and Russian submarines, both nuclear and diesel-electric, as well as period correct surface fleets. No idea for a plot as of yet...

So far, we have a functional Project 627A November class nuclear submarine that was discovered on Sukhoi.ru and created by Dagon. He is also working on an Oscar II class (possibly others as well). USS Trigger has been working on both a Hotel II class, K-19 specifically, as well as a Los Angeles class, and one of his friends is at work on a Guppy/Tang class boat.

We hope to get at least one nuclear and one diesel boat per side for starters and would greatly appreciate the help of any and all experienced modders!

Original Sukhoi.ru thread:

http://www.sukhoi.ru/forum/showthread.php?t=50322

Now on the subject of the November: It is currently in an alpha stage of development and as such is not yet available for public download. It lacks all sounds other than crew announcements (this is still a mystery to me) and needs much more to be a complete submarine, such as a proper interior. I can email the current version to anyone willing to experiment or improve upon it, just pm me with your address.

Last edited by Capt Jack Harkness; 02-07-08 at 06:51 PM.
Capt Jack Harkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-08, 05:03 AM   #2
tonibamestre
中国水兵

Downloads: 82
Uploads: 0

Well,my personal vission as a SH player,not modder,is that this can be a very positive future challenge.Now,with the inminent addon,and exploting the entire SH4 for the next months,are good news a mod conversion into the early cold war.
My vote goes for you,very good job !
tonibamestre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-08, 05:48 AM   #3
tonibamestre
中国水兵

Oh by the way...,dont you think would be interesting to implement the Foxtrot and Sturgeon classes?
And what about early SSBLs ? do you see them viable inside the project?
Old 02-07-08, 06:47 AM   #4
Capt Jack Harkness
Samurai Navy

The Foxtrot would be great, after all, it was the diesel-electric workhorse of the Soviet fleet until the Kilo was developed. Basically any sub from the '50s to the 80s would be cool, but I'm trying to keep the focus on the earlier subs as they are not so wildly advanced compared to the WWII boats and thus should be a bit easier to implement.

As for the SSBNs, it all depends on whether or not we can implement missiles. Trigger has been doing some work on this (as well as a handful of other projects), but as I've said, any help is appreciated.
Old 02-07-08, 06:54 AM   #5
DavyJonesFootlocker
The Old Man

Downloads: 138

Now what possible scenario can this take on? Not historical I suspect but a sort of quasi-fantasy type storyline. Kudos for taking up this project.
A proud member of the Wikipedia Haters Club
DavyJonesFootlocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-08, 08:35 AM   #6
tonibamestre
中国水兵

Why not? We have the Cuba crisis.By the rest,just give chance to our imagination,patrol US east coast,outside Murmansk base.......and more.
You know what would be nice for that? to have a 24h server engaged in order to play long term missions,leave the base,navigate thousands of miles,comply with the mission and come back home, if able of course.
Old 02-07-08, 09:04 AM   #7
Nuc
Planesman

Downloads: 100

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonibamestre
Why not? We have the Cuba crisis.By the rest,just give chance to our imagination,patrol US east coast,outside Murmansk base.......and more.
You know what would be nice for that? to have a 24h server engaged in order to play long term missions,leave the base,navigate thousands of miles,comply with the mission and come back home, if able of course.
This study on submarine operations in the Korean War may be of interest

http://stinet.dtic.mil/cgi-bin/GetTR...c=GetTRDoc.pdf
Nuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-08, 11:05 PM   #8
USS_Trigger
Seaman

Downloads: 11

as Capt Jack said i am working with and playing around with several ideas, two which have reached 33% completion in 3D model the rest are still in research and drawings on paper. unfortunaly i am unable to commit as much time to this as i would like to as i am juggling my own command of a SSN as well as working some Cold War mods
USS_Trigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-08, 04:33 AM   #9
Captain Vlad
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 6

Cuba has a lot of plotline potential for something like this...perhaps construct a campaign around a US invasion of Cuba and the Soviet's response?
Old 02-10-08, 05:21 AM   #10
Capt Jack Harkness
Samurai Navy

Actually, I always thought it would be fun to intercept the freighters carrying the nukes and sink them before they hit the blockade we set up...

There are, however, a million different ways to pan out that scenario, let alone the Cold War in the 60's. The only sad thing is that American tech was way beyond the Soviets until about the time the Victor class SSNs and Yankee class SSBNs were commissioned.
Old 02-10-08, 11:53 AM   #11
jdkbph
Captain

Downloads: 104

I don't think you can go much past 1965 or so. By that time, I believe they were doing computer assisted TMA, which I would guess is a little beyond the scope of SH4. Unless you introduced an external app to output/input data to/from...?

JD

Last edited by jdkbph; 02-10-08 at 12:11 PM.
jdkbph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-08, 12:15 PM   #12
Captain Vlad
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Jack Harkness
Actually, I always thought it would be fun to intercept the freighters carrying the nukes and sink them before they hit the blockade we set up...

Yeah.

Or, from the Soviet side, try and fend off prowling US subs and destroyers to allow the weapons to get through. If the war escalates to a more general confrontation, another good Soviet scenario might be mining or raiding East Coast ports where the troop build-up is taking place.
Old 02-10-08, 02:26 PM   #13
Hartmann
Sea Lord

Downloads: 204

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdkbph
I don't think you can go much past 1965 or so. By that time, I believe they were doing computer assisted TMA, which I would guess is a little beyond the scope of SH4. Unless you introduced an external app to output/input data to/from...?

JD

the problem is model advanced devices like sonars and guided torpedoes, sh4 only allow early cold war mods.

She is made of iron, sir. I assure you, she can. and she will. It is a mathematical certainty.

Strength and honor
Hartmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-08, 07:04 PM   #14
DS
Planesman

Downloads: 85

Here's my thoughts on this. Nuke's will take a lot of work.

We alreay have Tench Class Boats with SH4 mods, and they served well into the 50's I believe.

If we can have:

1. a Guppy sail modeled for them
2. add a snorkel using residual SH3 coding
3. use the early acoustic homing torpedoes that already come with SH4,

then we are already good to go for WWIII/Cold war scenarios set in the 50's.

Is this achievable?
Old 02-10-08, 11:25 PM   #15
USS_Trigger
Seaman

Downloads: 11

well im working on getting the snorkel from the type XXI to work and im also trying tp design a guppy sail but the snorkel is proving to be quite troublesome it just wont work
USS_Trigger is offline   Reply With Quote