Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-01-17, 06:41 AM   #1
vienna
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85
Uploads: 0

Default Utah hospital nurse roughed up, arrested by cop for doing her job

This is seriously disturbing:

‘This is crazy,’ sobs Utah hospital nurse as cop roughs her up, arrests her for doing her job --

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.eabdcba3a613

This cop was way out of control and way out of line; I'm surprised the nurse has yet to file a lawsuit; if I were treated in that way or if someone in my family were so treated, I'd sue the cop and every SOB connected to him in his chain of command for everything they've got...

<O>
Old 09-01-17, 06:57 AM   #2
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32

What a twat.
Dowly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-17, 07:22 AM   #3
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by vienna View Post
This is seriously disturbing:

‘This is crazy,’ sobs Utah hospital nurse as cop roughs her up, arrests her for doing her job --

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.eabdcba3a613

This cop was way out of control and way out of line; I'm surprised the nurse has yet to file a lawsuit; if I were treated in that way or if someone in my family were so treated, I'd sue the cop and every SOB connected to him in his chain of command for everything they've got...

<O>
Agreed

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-17, 07:22 AM   #4
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Downloads: 171

What an ass, I hope he gets the sack, arrogant pig!!

Sub captains go down with their ship!
Reece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-17, 07:36 AM   #5
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

In Minnesota at least: '(2) a physician, nurse, or other person providing health care services in a hospital emergency department' has 'peace officer status' as well as the police. I can't determine if Utah law has the same designation for its medical care personnel. A bit of a pissing contest over involved authority imho; The patient in question was an off-duty reserve-officer involved in a police chase related collision driving his truck. The blood draw was to be to his benefit not against him in a liability sense.
Quote:
said “implied consent” has not been the law in Utah since 2007, and the U.S. Supreme Court ruled in 2016 that the Constitution permits warrantless breath tests in drunken-driving arrests, but not warrantless blood tests. She stressed that the patient was always considered the victim in the case and never was suspected of wrongdoing.
Both the officer and nurse consulted with their respective supervisors/ watch commanders( who actually advised the arrest for interfering) and acted according to superior's decisions. All points go toward the scrupulous nurse's favor here. Forcing a person wrongfully into the vehicle is kidnapping imho. Officer Payne is also in trouble for his on video remark about 'bringing 'good' patients elsewhere and 'the transients' to this facility' in the news report-implying less than equal treatment based on perceived economic status??!!
http://www.sltrib.com/news/2017/08/31/utah-nurse-arrested-after-complying-with-hospital-policy-that-bars-taking-blood-from-unconscious-victim/

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"

Last edited by Aktungbby; 09-01-17 at 07:51 AM.
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-17, 07:56 AM   #6
vienna
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85

I also noted Payne had been instructed by his Lieutenant to make the arrest, but I believe a more reasonable, rational person, unlike Payne, would have just put the two higher ups, the nurse's supervisor and the Lieutenant, on the line together and let them sort it out. Instead what they got was the ungodly mess preserved on video. I was also put off by the second cop, who I guess to be a field supervisor, trying real hard to rationalize the behavior of Payne and was very put off by the supervisor's frequent use of the terminology "my law", as in "Your policies are getting in the way of my law"; I didn't know the law was individuated to such a fine degree in Utah; foolish me: I thought there was only one law and that it is the same everywhere in the US...

That nurse deserves a very public and publicized apology from Payne and his superior(s); if he loses his badge, well, it seems like it will be no great loss...

<O>
Old 09-01-17, 08:08 AM   #7
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Slightly OT, but how do the different "branches" (police, firefighters, EMTs etc.) see each other over in the US? Is there mutual respect between all parties, if they happen to be on scene at the same time?

Asking because I recall seeing few videos over the years where the police have been quite aggressive towards (IIRC) firefighters on scene, one I believe was even cuffed in one instance over seemingly small issue.

Example:
Old 09-01-17, 08:58 AM   #8
Schroeder
Navy Seal

Downloads: 62

Some cops surely seem to be retarded.
When watching police documentaries about US law enforcement I often had a feeling that some officers were on power trips (especially rural sheriffs and their deputies).
Old 09-01-17, 09:02 AM   #9
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

"That nurse deserves a very public and publicized apology from Payne and his superior(s); if he loses his badge, well, it seems like it will be no great loss..."

Spot on.

That lieutenant telling the nurse "If what they do is wrong ...it will all go away? Apparently he must be the training officer too.

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.
Rockstar is online   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-17, 09:06 AM   #10
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schroeder View Post
When watching police documentaries about US law enforcement I often had a feeling that some officers were on power trips (especially rural sheriffs and their deputies).
Yes, I think this has been talked about a few times in the past here. The US police seem to be trained to aggressively take hold of the situation right from the start. This is of course good in situations where the suspect may be of threat, but in others it might cause the suspect to feel cornered and become a threat.

This video imho gives a good view of the difference between the US police and the police in Nordic countries, it also touches on the training a bit:
Old 09-01-17, 09:11 AM   #11
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

All the more reason 1033 equipment should be withheld from police departments. This is one area of concern I believe the media really needs to get involved with again and bring to the forefront

Old 09-01-17, 09:37 AM   #12
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

One Country: Finland area is approximately 130,500 square miles with a population of 5 million people.

One U.S. city: Los Angeles, CA covers an area approximately 500 square miles, population of 4 million people

It may take a different type of training to ensure survival where an extremely large and diverse population is jammed into such a small area. There is however no excuse for the abuse some go through because certain police officers forgot the protect and serve part of their job or seem to think they can impose their will upon another without restraint.

Last edited by Rockstar; 09-01-17 at 09:46 AM.
Old 09-01-17, 10:17 AM   #13
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Quote:
That nurse deserves a very public and publicized apology from Payne and his superior(s); if he loses his badge, well, it seems like it will be no great loss...
She was an olympic skier...she deserves five minutes in a closed room with her ski-pole and the handcuffed idiot... No blows to be inflicted above the knees or below the collarbones. And she may not use the pointy end of the 'spear' to draw blood without a warrant! Officer Payne, thus properly chastised and near retirement, will then be given a weaponless desk-job training police recruits on the difference 'twixt 'good patients and transients'.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dowley
but how do the different "branches" (police, firefighters, EMTs etc.) see each other over in the US? Is there mutual respect between all parties, if they happen to be on scene
poorly! The Y chromosome deficient officer is often a pompous creature when imbued with 'peace officer' status.

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"

Last edited by Aktungbby; 09-01-17 at 04:04 PM.
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-17, 11:42 AM   #14
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 63

The police, being in the position to have the most effect on a citizen's constitutional rights, must be held to high standards for misconduct.

At least this officer did not "feel threatened" or the story could have been even worse.
Old 09-01-17, 01:10 PM   #15
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

I live in Utah, and I think I'm in agreement with everybody else here. This was wrong. I think the good news will turn out to be what has already been shown, which is that our opinions don't count, since both Utah law and the United States Supreme Court have both clearly stated that this officer's actions are not only wrong but emphatically illegal. Something like this should never have happened in the first place, and this officer should have known what the Law says on this subject, or if he didn't know then the correct course of action, since no one's life was in danger, would be to find out first.