SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-14-15, 07:48 PM   #301
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123
Uploads: 0

Hi CB
Quote:
I quite agree that I'm getting something to start a career with, that other "Kaleuns" want (the Type VIIB) but apparently aren't getting. I've followed the instructions for starting a new career to the letter and can assure you that I always start my August 1939 "Erprobungsstelle" mission in a Type VIIB and there are no other type boats offered for "upgrade" after completing my training mission and transferring to Wilhelmshaven (I do exit the game and restart with the "Before Mission" save). I am never offered a Type VIIA and the only time I can start with a Type IIA is by starting a career in Sep/Oct 1939.
So it looks like unnecessary changes are being made and that would be why others are getting a IIA.

Quote:
BTW...are you perhaps mistaking the designation "Type VIIA" (that's 7A...seven-A) for "Type IIA" (that's 2A...two-A); those pesky Roman Numerals you know?
My mistake dam those Romans.

Peter
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-15, 09:52 PM   #302
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEBERBSTER View Post
dam those Romans.
But if you do that they might drown.

Are you Roma-phobic?

Sorry, couldn't resist.
Old 11-15-15, 07:42 AM   #303
jscharpf
Frogman

Downloads: 294

Wonderful mod, thanks team!
One question, on the Nav map I have what appears to be part of the scale to measure knots/time/Km/hour.
Did I lose part of it? Sorry if I'm dense.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SH3Img@14-11-2015_18.59.35_960.jpg (90.8 KB, 27 views)

Last edited by jscharpf; 11-17-15 at 10:24 PM. Reason: Trying to figure out this signature stuff.. :(
jscharpf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-15, 11:54 AM   #304
THEBERBSTER

Is there a way to have a new patrol grid while at sea when the original one is done.

Peter
Old 11-16-15, 01:38 PM   #305
Urmel
LSH2020 Manager

Downloads: 6

Hi all

Tnx for your kind words and help here!

About ERPROBUNGSSTELLE in V15:

In history every Commander have to absolve first a patrol with his new boat and his new crew by ERPROBUNGSSTELLE.
With V15 we change the old limited of 8 original SH3 Flottilla concept.
We do the new sorting for favor logic and better understanding for new subwar sh3 game players.

New in V15 the game starts one month before the original Sub War starts (1. August 1939).
This month is to absolve the first patrol by ERPROBUNGSSTELLE bevor the real Sub War (in original SH3 Game) starts.

That’s why it is very important to absolve the first patrol ERPROBUNGSSTELLE in full length real game timeline.
The FIRST DATE to change Flottilas or Boats is the 1. September 1935 and not one day before!

That’s why we integrate the draggable chart INFORMATION FLOTTILLA (Deutsche Flottillen – 1939 bis 1945) into the Game.
(unfortunately not translated yet). That Chart show the valid dates to change flottilas.

http://www.lsh3.com/public/info/info_drag_flottila.jpg

I Hope this Information help against problems like “PQ:0” or “not accepted” transfers/dislocation.

Greets by Urmel
Urmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-15, 07:23 AM   #306
limkol
XO

Downloads: 210
Default question

Hello guys,

Thanks for the excellent work.

I have a question about sound. I was in a 14km wind last night mid Atlantic and it struck me that the wind sound was not very loud. I don't know if this is the fault of my computer or what. It sounded ok in the external view but on the bridge it could have been louder.
If I wanted to increase the wind and/or waves sounds, how would I do it and where are the appropriate files?

Again, many thanks for this great mod.
limkol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-15, 06:42 PM   #307
CaptBones
The Old Man

Downloads: 208

Greetings Urmel, et. al.;

Thank you for your 11/16 post regarding start dates, transfer dates, etc. It describes what I've experienced and is just as explained in the Manual, but I still have some questions regarding starting a career on other than the 1st of August '39 and in other than a Type VIIB. To be clear, I have enjoyed doing so, to be "on station" near the Rockall Bank when the war starts; but I've also been interested in starting my career in a Type II boat and "earning" a promotion to command a Type VII boat as the war progresses.

So, I have tried to start in a different Flotilla on 1 September. The career start page in SH3 Commander for LSH3 2015 opens the box for choosing a Flotilla on that date and offers Erprobungsstelle, 1st Flotilla and 7th Flotilla. But if I choose either the 1st or 7th, the box for the choice of submarine types on that date is blank, completely empty. Therefore, I have to chose to start on September 1st in Erprobungsstelle, Stralsund and go to a patrol area in the Baltic Sea. After completing the 24hrs patrolling the assigned grid area, I return to Stralsund on September 4th and immediately apply for a transfer. I've experimented with transferring to the 1st and 7th Flotillas in Kiel and the 2nd Flotilla in Wilhelmshaven and done so successfully. I can also upgrade to a Type VIIB at that time, but would still like to make at least a couple of patrols in the North Sea in a Type II before doing so.

However, I've noticed a problem with the career start screen (shown under the pull-out chart in your last post). On my display, the insignia in the upper right-hand corner of the screen are incorrectly labeled; the label under the red "U" shield for the 1st Flotilla is labeled "U-Flotilla Saltzwedel" and the insignia for the 2nd Flotilla is labeled "U-Flotilla Wegener" (the Raging Bull insignia for the 7th Flotilla is correctly labeled).

When I return to Stralsund and apply for transfer, the change Flotilla screen has the same problems; this time in the boxes on the left side of the page used to click on, to request a transfer. The insignia for Erprobungsstelle is labeled “U-Flotilla Weddigen”, the label for the red "U" shield for the 1st Flotilla reads "U-Flotilla Sal" and the insignia for the 2nd Flotilla is labeled "U-Flotilla Weg" (the Raging Bull insignia for the 7th Flotilla is correctly labeled).

More experimenting: In both of the cases above, I have found that this problem is apparently in LSH3 2015 Commander. When I start the game directly, using the shortcut in the START LSH3 2015 folder, the insignia and Flotilla name labels all line-up correctly. The "misalignment" of Flotilla name/number labels only occurs when I start the game using the LSH3 2015 Commander shortcut in the START...folder. No, I did not make any changes to LSH3 2015 Commander. Does anyone have any idea on what is causing this or where to look for the source of the problem?

To ask for a transfer, I guessed that the insignia was correct and the labels were wrong and thus got the correct transfers approved.
Edit: I was wrong...the requested transfer did not happen correctly. When I loaded the saved career and started the second patrol (assigned to grid AO44), I found I was in Kiel, but was assigned to U-Flotilla Saltzwedel. Wrong for two reasons...On 1 September '39 U-Flotilla Saltzwedel is supposed to be in Wilhelmshaven and that Flotilla did not have any Type II boats.

Perhaps something in the text files doesn’t line up correctly with the Widescreen MOD and “rearranges” the Flotilla insignia? Although, due to the native resolution for my monitor being 2560 X 1600, I have text size 150% selected in my NVIDIA control Panel settings…could that be the problem? No, that's not the source of this problem. I changed the text size to "normal"/100% (in Windows display settings, not an NVIDIA control panel setting, my mistake) but it had no effect on the mismatching between Flotilla insignias and names.

Anyway, my real question is still this...is there any way to start a career in August '39 in a Type II boat. I'm guessing that the answer is "no" and if so, I will just have to be content with using the process that I have been experimenting with, as described above. But, before I give up, I'd like to know if that is correct. Edit: On second thought/third try, I think I will give up for now and use the LSH3 SuperMOD for a pre-war start in the Type VIIB. I'll use my GWX3 Gold installation for my pre-war start in a Type II.

BTW, I've observed some unfortunate results of encountering bad weather during my initial "experimental" patrols from Stralsund. Upon return to port I’ve found some of the Crab Cutters and the Artillery Barges sunk, or sinking and burning, as well as some of the larger ships damaged and on fire. I suppose I could chalk that up to the “cheeky” Tommies getting in an air raid on the first or second day of the war. But, I suspect it’s just the result of the high winds and sea state, which always happens during the time I am in my patrol area, battering ships in the harbor against each other and/or against the dock walls. Is there any way (other than changing “Storm Counter“ settings in h.sie’s configuration .ini file) to keep that from happening?

Thanks again for any help or suggestions you can provide, your SuperMod is great; good luck and good hunting.

Edit: I just want to add another "congratulations" and "thank you" for the work you all have done to produce this MOD. The problems I encountered were no doubt due to trying to operate in a way that the MOD was not designed to work. I also have to mention again that the world you've produced in LSH3 is unquestionably "lively". Taking the boat out of Stralsund was interesting with all of the other traffic in the harbor. Taking the boat out of Kiel was as "real" as any ship-driving simulator I have yet found; the amount of traffic in the harbor required careful attention to conning the boat and the scenery, especially the trees and shrubbery, along the shore was very highly detailed and "realistic". Thanks again!

Last edited by CaptBones; 11-30-15 at 01:28 PM.
CaptBones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-15, 08:18 PM   #308
3catcircus
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 246

So - I did some more digging. Can anyone confirm that the wide screen mods do not work when using an HDMI cable and you must connect your monitor using a VGA cable?
3catcircus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-15, 06:25 AM   #309
THEBERBSTER

Hi 3c
The only benefit I think a HDMI cable would give is is it makes whites, whiter.
The best input I think would be a DVI interface as this is also digital.
VGA being analog would have a lower definition.
This is just my personal view and not an expert one.

Peter
Old 12-16-15, 08:39 AM   #310
TheGreatElector
Torpedoman

Downloads: 1218
Uploads: 117
Default Can i have everyone's opinion?

What is better

LSH OR GWX?

Thank you for your answers.
TheGreatElector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-15, 11:07 AM   #311
CaptBones
The Old Man

Downloads: 208

wolf_howl15 Both

Neither one is "better" than the other...they are both excellent and each has features that are good and faults that are not so good.

Use Multi SH3 and try them both. You'll find things in both of them that you like and you'll probably end up wishing (as I do) that you could combine the best of both and create an "ultimate" version of SH3.
CaptBones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-15, 12:04 PM   #312
=FI=Ghost
Gunner

Downloads: 93

Greetings!

It's been years since I last sailed the waters of SH III. I have installed this super mod (previously, I played GWX). Everything seems to be working fine (though some keyboard commands don't seem to work, like hoisting flag or getting the reading on depth under keel).

I have one question - is this mod compatible with Merchant Fleet Mod 3.2, and FM_NewInterior v2.1D?

=FI=Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-15, 01:26 PM   #313
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome back

=FI=Ghost!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-15, 02:57 PM   #314
THEBERBSTER

A Warm Welcome To The Subsim Community >=FI=Ghost
New To Silent Hunter <> Need Help <> Click On My Thread Links.
Subsim <> How To Donate <> See The Benefits <> Support The Community

Silent Hunter III from 2005 bring your game play to 2015 with the
LIVING SILENT HUNTER III EDITION 2015 Mega Mod
Old 12-16-15, 07:11 PM   #315
HeinzMcDurgen
Watch

Downloads: 21
Default Manual TDC

Hello there.

I've returned to SH3 after a long absence. Picked up LSH and cracked up the realism settings and pushed out for my first patrol. Before I got too far into it I though I'd reacquaint myself with the procedures for manual firing.

However, I'm not familiar with how the "rings over the eyepiece" on the attack periscope work, nor this chronograph. I'm accustom to doing things the old way with marks and lines, etc on the map, but if they're going to give me more tools, I'd like to know how to use them. Finally I am not finding how to bring up the stadiemeter.

So basically, I just need a solid tutorial on manual firing in LSH
HeinzMcDurgen is offline   Reply With Quote