SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-13-10, 03:09 AM   #121
KarlKoch
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arclight View Post
I can't edit thread title, or that beta-tag would have been long gone.
You can edit the thread title. After you click on "edit" in the first post, you click on "go advanced" below the field to edit your text. On the upcoming screen, you can edit the tread title.
Old 05-13-10, 03:15 AM   #122
Arclight
Navy Seal

Location: Land of windmills, tulips, wooden shoes and cheese. Lots of cheese.
Downloads: 53
Uploads: 10

Nope, that's just the post title.

Carefull with combining this with v1.2 of the game (latest patch). Haven't had a chance to verify proper compatibility yet.

Contritium praecedit superbia.
Arclight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-10, 04:07 AM   #123
KarlKoch
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Nope, that's just the post title.
Damn, you are right.
Old 05-13-10, 05:58 AM   #124
Arclight
Navy Seal

Occasionally.

Old 05-15-10, 12:54 AM   #125
icecold
Gunner

Downloads: 84
Uploads: 0

Hmmm since patch 1.2 somethign seams off. I think ships have become a little to easy to sink... i am not sure
icecold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-10, 05:13 AM   #126
Arclight
Navy Seal

Latest version of BRF and it's stand-alone modules "BRF HP Balance" and "Damage Assessment" confirmed 100% compatible with SH5 1.2.

Old 05-15-10, 02:05 PM   #127
SteelViking
The Old Man

Downloads: 86
Uploads: 4

Quote:
Latest version of BRF and it's stand-alone modules "BRF HP Balance" and "Damage Assessment" confirmed 100% compatible with SH5 1.2.
That is good news!
SteelViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-10, 08:58 AM   #128
gouldjg
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 4

Arclight

I really appreciate all the hard work done here. This looks to be a great start.

Obviously we all understand that things such as torpedo damage and shell damage etc get upgraded via crew abilities by in some cases a significant degree e.g. deck gun damage gets a 70% additional benefit etc thus I am sure you are already taking into account the average of the upgrades e.g. finding a middle ground.

Unlike Sh3 where things were set at set damage levels etc, Sh5 does have a varying randomiser in play.

Lets say I fully upgraed my deckgun crew ability in line with stock = 70% increase in damage.

Lets also say, I am in battlestations mode, = additional 30% added to the passive ability,

I think you get the picture.

In one sence this is absolutely great e.g. no more fixed number science = a more dynamic game. In the other sence, this will make your work slightly more difficult or easy dependant on how you approach it.

Just some thoughts aloud. Hope it helps

Gouldjg's Crew Ability Balancing Mod for SH5 1.2
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=169630
gouldjg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-10, 10:11 AM   #129
Arclight
Navy Seal

Well, it's balanced to stock values, to be honest. Personally, I think abilities that raise damage are outright BS, so I simply refuse to spend points in such abilities (actually making the whole system rather redundant ). Also, you don't have points to spend in single missions and multiplayer, though I don't know if that's necessary (might be controlled by crew skill setting in mission editor).

Considering that damage gets amplified with the skills and ships already sink a heck of a lot easier, I'm amazed that people actually combine it with "critical hits torpedo" mod; seems like it just becomes a shooting gallery to me, but whatever floats yer boat. Nice thing about mods: you can make the game the way you like it.

Was thinking of reworking damage values for better effect in the next version.

One thing puzzles me though: you say it's a great start. Is there anything you feel needs improving? Any suggestions and feedback are more than welcome, as always.

Old 05-16-10, 10:52 AM   #130
gouldjg
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 4

No I think it is fantastic what you are doing.

Like you, I think a lot of the special abilities are way way too beefed up however possibly unlike you, I also see them as a method to add some form of variety / randomness in the game. A privilliage we did not have with SH3 thus sinking ships starting to become a matter of maths.

As you say, it iss a matter of personal preference and persons will no doubt tweak to suit and so they should.

It would just be impossible for you to find the perfect balance for all playing styles in the game. Some people will stick with default abilities and max them out and others may not.

What I was possibly suggesting, was if you should take a peek at the special abilites file, you will be able to figure out a mean average of additional damage % and modifiers and you or someone else could work on a average number which should then provide a damage model that may suit more people whether or not using special abilities.

At the same time, I am very much appreciating that what you are doing takes much more time and effort to develop than it would for others to adjust, their playing styles or mod choices / tweaks.

I just raise the points mainly for other people to be mindful about so they do not fall into the trap of getting you mod, using another damage enabling mod, upscaling all thier special abilities and then thinking WTH, this is too overpowered so it must be your mods fault when in fact it is not.

I really look forward to you future work in this area.

Gouldjg's Crew Ability Balancing Mod for SH5 1.2
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=169630
gouldjg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-10, 11:55 AM   #131
Arclight
Navy Seal

On the short term, I think Ill have a look at the torpedo radius and normalize the damage a bit. With less variable damage (it really varies a lot) the effect is a little more predictable, and by increasing the radius it affects more compartments (at least potentially). With torpedoes more likely to puncture 2 or even 3 compartments, I can back off the flotation settings a bit, which imho are rather extreme in some cases (can be as much as 5 times higher than stock).

Should result in more spread-out damage, and a more natural look. More widespread damage to make it sink more naturally, compared to focused and exaggerated damage. Should also make for listing and possibly capsizing to appear, either naturally or with a little more tweaking.

Nice work on the crew balancing btw, imho changes like that are essential to a better and more realistic/balanced game.

Old 05-18-10, 10:04 AM   #132
schurem
Loader

Downloads: 42

so, any progress on getting ships to capsize? not that i'm trying to hurry you ar anything..
schurem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-10, 01:12 PM   #133
Arclight
Navy Seal

Not much, think I'll need to tweak the torpedoes a little first.

Old 06-03-10, 01:15 PM   #134
MattDizzle
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Arclight: Would you consent to this being put into part of a larger Compilation mod, as i said in another thread on this forum?

I'm looking to assemble several mods in a large easy for new people to install "Community Mod pack", and full, prominent credit would be given to you and the other mod authors involved. Would you be willing to help the community by allowing your mod to be used?
Old 06-03-10, 08:02 PM   #135
Arclight
Navy Seal

"help the community"... jeesh, no need for a sales pitch, wouldn't have bothered if it was just for my own enjoyment.

So yeah, include away.

Tags
barf, brf