Click here to access the Helosim website
SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

BUYING GAMES, BOOKS, ELECTRONICS, and STUFF
THROUGH THIS LINK SUPPORTS SUBSIM, THANKS!

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Helosim.com and Flight Sims

Old 07-22-07, 05:47 PM   #16
Stryker412
Bosun

Downloads: 10
Uploads: 0

Yeah I have 2GB of PC6400 RAM and a DC6600 processor along with a BFG 8800GTX vid card.

Someone flying with me that same night took this screen and it looks better than mine (he has similar specs).

http://img454.imageshack.us/my.php?i...3131419tb4.jpg

Chock do you have teamspeak?
Old 07-22-07, 07:23 PM   #17
Chock
Sea Lord

Downloads: 0

Yes I do have TS

Chock
Old 07-22-07, 07:33 PM   #18
Stryker412
Bosun

Downloads: 10

If you have a minute, can you jump on mine?

The ip is ts.ninjaserve.org
Old 07-24-07, 07:49 PM   #19
Camaero
The Old Man

Downloads: 18

Anybody try that Cargo Pilot add on? It sounded very interesting! I would like to know what you guys think if you have gotten it.
Old 07-24-07, 09:12 PM   #20
Chock
Sea Lord

Yup, it's good fun, Freight Dogs is good too (that's kind of like the 'bush pilot' version of it with less of the empire-building, but I'm not sure if Freight Dogs supports FSX). Cargo Pilot definitely is patched for FSX and Vista too (although it doesn't like 64 bit apparently).

CP's airline equivalent - Airline Pilot (not FSX compatible) - and similar utilities, or even joining a VA tend to give FS a bit more purpose, as does doing it all properly with the add-on airliners with all the systems modelled correctly and the FS2Crew add-ons (which are really very cool), so most things like that are worth a look, but be sure to check for FSX compatibility (or planned patches, or get a cheap copy of FS9).

Note that Just Flight is (http://www.justflight.com/) currently working on Cargo Pilot 2, which is going to add more functionality and flexibility, which means you can probably get the original CP cheap, or, you might wanna hang on a bit, check their forums and see how far off CP2 is from release, not sure how far along they are with the second version though, so maybe it's worth getting the original anyway. Or, why not try out the demo?

If you want to get really serious, this is worth a look too:

http://www.aerosoft.com/cgi-local/re...i?showd,,10450

As it emulates real world operations very closely, but that said, stuff like Cargo Pilot is probably more fun!

Chock
Old 07-24-07, 10:45 PM   #21
Camaero
The Old Man

Very informative reply Chock! Thank you!

I just might have to wait for Cargo Pilot 2 now. I have never heard of Freight Dogs... bush pilots... sounds like fun!

By the way, what do you mean "empire-building"? How much of the business do you actually get to control?
Old 07-25-07, 12:36 AM   #22
Chock
Sea Lord

Basically, you start off working out of a crappy freight container that is your 'office'. You have to manage things and decide what plane you are going to 'buy' with your starting budget, and what other things you are going to spend cash on, what sort of routes your are going to run etc.
You earn money for delivering stuff and lose it if you screw up (arrive late or whatever), then it's kind of up to you how you expand the business, buy a bigger plane, or a fleet of them, set up more offices, that kind of thing. You have to do maintenance scheduling on your aeroplanes and stuff like that. But the nice thing is that you can basically use any plane you have installed in FS, so you could use a B-17 as a cargo plane it you really wanted to (not that it would be very practical, but there's nothing really stopping you).
The trick is to do 'circuits' so that you can deliver to several airports on a 'lap', that way you maximise your trips. If you like things like EVE and stuff like that, it's not dissimilar to mining and selling stuff or something like that in an MMORPG, but with flying planes involved too.
The next version is set to improve that aspect a bit, amongst other things, since at the moment, it isn't that necessary to do positioning flights. The fact you don't have to do them in the current CP means you can move things along a bit quicker, but people have asked for that feature, so they are evidently putting it in the next version. There is a thread on the Just Flight forums where you can request things you'd like to see in the next version. But just reading a few of the threads on that forum will probably give you a good idea as to whether you'd enjoy it.
It's quite a fun thing to play in my opinion, in that it combines a simulator with an empire building game.
It's really as complicated as you want to make it, which I suppose is the beauty of it. But effectively, it turns FS into a game as well as a flight simulator.
Incidentally, the demo is not FSX compatible, it only works on FS9 (2004), although the full game will work with either FS9 or FSX.

Chock
Old 07-25-07, 02:35 AM   #23
Camaero
The Old Man

Cool, thanks!

Oh and I would so fly a B-17 as a cargo plane, I don't care how inefficient it is! Such a beauty.
Old 07-29-07, 06:28 AM   #24
EAGLE_01
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker412
I downloaded a Qantas skin last night from flyaway. It looks pretty good. The detail in Sydney is damn good. You can see the Opera House in the lower left corner.

Nice Pic. You just convinced me to make this my next purchase. That and 1946...
EAGLE_01 is offline   Reply With Quote