Click here to access the Helosim website
SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

BUYING GAMES, BOOKS, ELECTRONICS, and STUFF
THROUGH THIS LINK SUPPORTS SUBSIM, THANKS!

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Helosim.com and Flight Sims

Old 07-27-07, 07:11 PM   #1
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Default Mega Airport Frankfurt

"Mega" is justified, for it is number three in passengers in Europe (after London Heathrow and Paris CDG), and number one in freight.

Running the German Airports series for FS9, I was hesitent to buy the Mega airport frankfurt by Aerosoft, which no longer is an integral part of the GS packages, but comes separate. Considering the ammount of work that obviously went into this scenery, this is justified. I feared my system would put out a slide show.

My first surprise is, that my system (P4- 3 GHZ, 1 GB RAM, 7900GS (256 MB) )really can stem this monster - in the PMDG 747, which is a frame hog itself! In VC, with frames fixed to 22 and display sliders at 70-80%, frames never went into the oine-digit range while taxing, and in flight and during approach were at 15. taxiing with the SF260 gave me frames from 12-15 while taxiing. In other words: this super-complex airport scenery is fully playable, not as smooth as those regions were I gain those fixed 22 frames, but it is playable during taxiing, and the VC is managable, too. the only thing I reduced was AI traffic to 10%, but I used the static scenery planes during installation.

Second surprise was, how huge that airport is. I used a car model to drive around, andf then found myself having spend close to two hours just crisscrossing over the location and examine the various temrinals, perimeters, building complexes.

And the third surprise was the ammount of detail to be seen, the the extremely well-done texturing. From traffic signs at the autobahn nearby (with racing traffic!) over the moving airport skytrain, to the plenty of cars, busses, even emergency cars with signal horns, the place is brimming with activity. there is plenty of stunning visual perspectives to be discovered, and you can easily spoend a whole day just searching for artistic photo shots. The textures at night also are very good, giving the impression that ebhind those lit windows real people are sitting and working all night through.

If you look for one beast of an airport only that gives you reward each time you land at it, this one is for you. The German Airports series I do follow since FS98, and the various incarnations always were seen as representing the top level of scenery designing that could be accheived with the given FS version. But Frankfurt leaves the other FS2004 German Airports behind it. and the realk mastery of the designers you can see from the fact that it has playable frames, and usually German Airports series has only extremely small drops in frames in general. I usually run those airports on approach and taxing with frames at 20, with details pretty much high.

http://www.avsim.com/pages/0106/Frankfurt/Frankfurt.htm

This package is huge in quality, and the airport is extremely huge in size! I used the PMDG 747 for testing only, I usually prefer the Level-D 767 - but the latter without doubt has found a new virtual home.