SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters > DW Mod Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-15-06, 05:42 PM   #601
LuftWolf
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 2
Uploads: 0

Changing the ranges is a fairly complicated affair now in 1.03.

In terms of sonar ranges, they are highly variable in both real life and the game.

In all honesty, I'm pretty happy about the passive sonar ranges in 1.03b+3.00b.
Old 01-15-06, 07:12 PM   #602
Mocbo
Watch

Downloads: 0

Read some about the older Subs an thier Dive Deeps

US Boats
http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ship/ssn-594.htm
http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ship/ssn-637.htm

All the Same , Hy80 Steel and OLDER than the LA.
Official!! Deep is 600 m Then is the Max Deep deeper .
The Tresher crushed at 2700 M !!!... but this isnt the Operating or max usable Deep which is much lower. The Tresher has HY80 Steel to.

Then this seems to BE unreal.... The SAME Steel an a lower Deep??? Not Logical or thinkable.....
http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ship/ssn-688.htm

Then the Seawolf have HY100 Steel... The Operating Deep is thinkable one third deeper than these of the LA.

RUSSIAN BOATS
http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ship/row/rus/945.htm
http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ship/row/rus/685.htm
http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ship/row/rus/705.htm
All have Titan Alloy Structures. Look at the Depths

http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ship/row/rus/971.htm
The Akula have a possible Titan Double Hull!! . It goes deeper than the written 2100 Feet!!.

Then the Typoon have a Double Hull with five Pressure Hulls of Titan !! Steel.
NOW say this CANT go deeper than 4 or 500 m !!!
Not very logical.......

Then i heared from a Source that our 214 CAN goes to 1000 m . This i cant believe because this Boat is a relatively small Boat against the nuclear Subs but it is much quieter due the fuel cell plant propulsion system.
But it have a silent water pressure Launch System for Weapons , then multiple outboard CM Launcher etc.
I called it the Mini Seawolf :-)

Greetings

Moc
Mocbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-06, 09:17 PM   #603
Deathblow
Captain

Hm.... those are some good points Mocbo. If you use diving depths that deep its too bad that the game doesn't make use of the deep sound channel like it should.

I'm reading an interesting book, Concepts in Submarine Design, and from what I've read the operational depth is a little grey, not just a function of the material strength, seal strength, and bulkhead buckling pressures, but its response to low cycle fatigue, everytime a surface-to-deep-to-surface manuever is performed the hull undergo elastic deformation which after a while will wear the joints and reduce maximum depth, by how much and how quickly only the Navy knows. So the first dive will be the strongest with the maximum depth subjectively declining after months/years of low-cycle fatigue.
Deathblow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-06, 10:39 PM   #604
sonar732
The Old Man

Downloads: 6

NO ONE will learn the operating depth of a U.S. submarine. The only sayings we knew in the sub force was...

"Greater than 500ft and faster than 20knts!"

"I can neither confirm, no deny..."
sonar732 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-06, 11:23 AM   #605
Deathblow
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by XabbaRus
As for strategy page there are about 3 guys on there whose opinion I trust.
So what's a good source for technical opinions? I have a ton of technical questions that I can never seem to find any good discussions on. Like...

.. why do you think the VA and SW chose to mount its towed array on fins instead of thru aft control surfaces like on the LA and Ohio? Seems like it would increase drag to me, but am I mistaken.

... why do you think the VA went back to the 4 horizontal + 12 VLS tubes instead of the SW 8 horizontal tubes? Seems like 8 horizontal tubes offers more payload flexibility, with only a minor loss in the rate of missile launch.

... doesn't the depth of a submarine effect its top speed? Intuitively the pressure of the water around it should have some short of drag increase? Or am I mistaken? I know that torp speed is depth sensitive, why not subs?

.. how far can a ultra low frequent radio wave travel in water? What if we link a underwater radio antenae directly to reactor output and pump a 10-100 megawatts thru it? How far would the signal reach thru the water? Would it be detectable on the surface?

.. what's the deal with UUV "Gliders"? Its not like "lift" is a problem in water like it is in air. Why would a "glider" in water have increased range?

.. what do you think the performance characteristics of the new half-length torpedo are likely to be in terms of range and speed? I know it has "increased broadband resolution" meaning better littoral warfare application, but doesn't its smaller size retard the range of the torps significantly?

.. where's the high frequency sonar mounting on the Akula? It could be on the sail, but isn't its sail too far back to give a good forward view?

... what's the true length of a ship wake? DW has wake homers homing in from miles behind the ship? Is a ship wake really *that* long and/or wakehomer sensors *that* sensitive? How do wakehomers really detect a "wake" anyway? I've heard that its highfreqency sensor detecting the wake noise, but is that all?

Anyone got any favorite forums where things like this are discussed?
Deathblow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-06, 11:35 AM   #606
Mocbo
Watch

Quote:
I'm reading an interesting book, Concepts in Submarine Design, and from what I've read the operational depth is a little grey, not just a function of the material strength, seal strength, and bulkhead buckling pressures, but its response to low cycle fatigue, everytime a surface-to-deep-to-surface manuever is performed the hull undergo elastic deformation which after a while will wear the joints and reduce maximum depth, by how much and how quickly only the Navy knows. So the first dive will be the strongest with the maximum depth subjectively declining after months/years of low-cycle fatigue.
That is thinkable . The Steel aging speed up by more Diving an Surfacing of the Sub. An old Sob never goes so deep than a New Sub . Is like a Car, it is staining wirth the Time.

BUT WHY is all Classfied for the Public... All secreet Services in the World know about military Aspects an New Military Equiptment of the opposing other Side in a minimum of Time, due Spy activities.
There is nor Role from what... Submarines, Aircraft, Tanks etc.

The Effect of the Classfied Info to the public is small.
When it is a Sectret then it has the Big Interest off all.
When the Real Things is Public then the Interest sinks.
Is with all Things in the Life.Think back to the own Child Time... What was with Secrets???

Greetings

Moc
Mocbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-06, 03:16 PM   #607
TLAM Strike
Navy Seal

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 6

I just got a copy of 'Guide to the Soviet Navy Third Edition' by Norman Polmar and there is an image of the stern of a Koni Frigate and it looks like its equiped with two (or Four) Towed CMs...

"Depth-Charge racks fitted to mine rails on East German Koni-class frigate Rostock (Towed torpedo decoys are between the DC racks.)"

I guess this might be something thats needs to be added to Russian ships in additon to their current OTS decoys.

TLAM Strike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-06, 04:23 PM   #608
XabbaRus
Navy Seal

Downloads: 5

Can you scan and post a pic?

Oh and how much for the book?
Old 01-17-06, 04:49 PM   #609
TLAM Strike
Navy Seal

Sorry I don't have a scanner but I maybe going to a buddy's house this weekend and he has one so I maybe able to get a scan for you then, and I got the book for free- here is a my post form General Topics about how I got it:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLAM Strike
My buddy whose in the Navy (Currently at NAS Pensacola but just got orders to USS Winston Churchill DDG 81) got his hands on some old reference books they where getting rid of and sent them to me. I know own:
'Guide to the Soviet Navy Third Edition' by Norman Polmar 1985 printing ISBN 0-87021-239-7
'Soviet Air Power: An Illustrated Encyclopedia of the Warsaw Pact Air Forces Today' by Bill Sweetman and Bill Gunston 1978 Printing ISBN 0-517-24948-0
'The Illustrated encyclopedia of the strategy, tactics, and weapons of Russian Military Power' by Ray Bonds etc 1982 edition ISBN 517-386968

I guess I have the honor of having books with annotations by US Navy Personnel, in other words some sailors who checked out the book from the base library corrected the naming errors. Great sources of info. I think Soviet Air Power is going to be a favorite around the TLAM household; the illustrations are fantastic (the Su-15 looks awesome, kinda a mix between the F-4 and F-5)

Old 01-17-06, 05:20 PM   #610
XabbaRus
Navy Seal

Well if there are any unusual pics I'd love it if you could scan a few from bith navy power and air power.

The Su-15 is afunky looking bird.
Old 01-17-06, 05:55 PM   #611
TLAM Strike
Navy Seal

There are a couple of pics of the Space Control Monitoring ship Kosmonaut Yuri Gagarin, the VDS housing on the Udaloy and Petya I, an image of a Bear-F droping Sonobouys from its bomb bay, a pair of Badgers refueling each other (side by side ), and a Inda riged up for arctic transit that seemed intresting. Those sound good for you?

Old 01-17-06, 06:05 PM   #612
XabbaRus
Navy Seal

Very much so
Cheers
Old 01-18-06, 10:58 PM   #613
RedDevilCG
Watch

Deathblow: I can for sure answer two of your questions, the one about the glider, and the one about depth and speed. Why don't you open a topic in the general discussion where people can post these sort of questions, and those who might know the answer could answer them.

Ah nuts. I will just open it up, and copy your post there.
RedDevilCG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-06, 05:33 PM   #614
TLAM Strike
Navy Seal

A couple of things to add in the future...

SS-N-14 and SS-N-16 ASROCs to the Kirov CGN.

MU90 torpedoes to the RAN's Frigates, Helos, and P-3s:
Minimum speed: 29Kts
Maximum speed: >50Kts
Range: 12,000m at maximum speed, 25,000m at min. speed
Operational bandwidth: >>10KHz
Acoustic coverage: 120°H x 70°V
Max. Active detection Range: >2500m
Anti-Torpedo capable.

The MK-50 torpedo 3D model would work fine for now.

Old 01-29-06, 01:15 PM   #615
LuftWolf
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 2

Thanks TLAM, I think 3.01 is going to be fairly amibitous in terms of adding new weapons and features to the game. :|\