SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-22-19, 04:55 PM   #1
Easy_Eight65
Swab Jockey

Downloads: 323
Uploads: 0
Default FOTRSU

This mod is great....except for the fact that I CTD every...and I mean EVERY SINGLE TIME I get within 50nm to Pearl in order to end a patrol. Any workarounds?

"You may fire when ready, Gridley." --Commodore George Dewey
Easy_Eight65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-19, 05:09 PM   #2
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Downloads: 305
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy_Eight65 View Post
This mod is great....except for the fact that I CTD every...and I mean EVERY SINGLE TIME I get within 50nm to Pearl in order to end a patrol. Any workarounds?

propbeanie can probably give you a more definitive answer, but could you give us computer specs, what version of SH4 your using, where you have it installed, any error messages, ect..........

Head Deep and Keep'em Astern" - LtCDR Samuel D Dealy
SHIV Guide | Imperial Japanese Navy | US Submarines

cdrsubron7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-19, 05:38 PM   #3
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

... and whether or not LAA is activated on your SH4.EXE file...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-19, 05:40 PM   #4
Easy_Eight65
Swab Jockey

SH4 Gold 1.5. My PC specs:

Win 10 64-bit
Intel Core i7-6700k CPU @4.0 GHz
32 Gb RAM

No Error msgs. Currently activated mods:

100_FalloftheRisingSun_Ultimate_v0.80_RC2_PublicBe ta_EN
AI shoots torpedos
Bubbles
creaksNgroans
Japanese_Gyoratei_by_Faith
Titan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrsubron7 View Post
propbeanie can probably give you a more definitive answer, but could you give us computer specs, what version of SH4 your using, where you have it installed, any error messages, ect..........

Old 03-22-19, 06:04 PM   #5
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Downloads: 305
Uploads: 1

Quote:

Win 10 64-bit
32 Gb RAM

AI shoots torpedos
Bubbles
creaksNgroans
Titan

What I would first suggest is uninstalling your mods one at at time and then try getting into Pearl and see if it CTDs. It could very well could be one of the extra mods your using. Better yet, uninstall all but v.080 RC2 and see if you have the same problems.

And make sure the LAA is activated if you haven't already done so.

Head Deep and Keep'em Astern" - LtCDR Samuel D Dealy
SHIV Guide | Imperial Japanese Navy | US Submarines

cdrsubron7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-19, 06:10 PM   #6
s7rikeback
I break things

Downloads: 1106
Uploads: 10

Quote:

Win 10 64-bit
32 Gb RAM

AI shoots torpedos
Bubbles
creaksNgroans
Titan

AI shoots torpedos - Concerned about his mod - The AI within FotRSU already has this ability on many planes, ships & Subs without 3rd party mods.
Bubbles - Audio files
creaksNgroans - Audio files
Japanese_Gyoratei_by_Faith - Not seen this released.

Could you give me a link to both the AI Shoots.... mod & the Gyoratei Mod, so that I can replicate your setup please ?
Old 03-22-19, 07:49 PM   #7
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

And what about Titan. What's that? Please keep in mind that we've changed so much in the game, including fixing stock errors, that FOTRSU isn't meant to work with any mods. We will be working up a list of certified plugin mods that won't kill your gameplay, and some of them will be existing mods that can co-exist with the monster and not cause death and destruction.

In the meantime, sound mods are okay. Boat skins are okay. Anything that might call up a ship of any kind is likely NOT okay. SH4 is very bad in error handling. Once call to a ship that doesn't exist, a plane, a weapon, etc, and the game doesn't give you a notice, it crashes violently. There are NO error handling routines built into the game, and for a game designed to be modded, I think it's inexcusable. But that's what we have to work with.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-19, 09:42 PM   #8
Easy_Eight65
Swab Jockey

I'll disable the mods you mentioned and give it a go -- much thanks, Rockin Robin

Easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
And what about Titan. What's that? Please keep in mind that we've changed so much in the game, including fixing stock errors, that FOTRSU isn't meant to work with any mods. We will be working up a list of certified plugin mods that won't kill your gameplay, and some of them will be existing mods that can co-exist with the monster and not cause death and destruction.

In the meantime, sound mods are okay. Boat skins are okay. Anything that might call up a ship of any kind is likely NOT okay. SH4 is very bad in error handling. Once call to a ship that doesn't exist, a plane, a weapon, etc, and the game doesn't give you a notice, it crashes violently. There are NO error handling routines built into the game, and for a game designed to be modded, I think it's inexcusable. But that's what we have to work with.

Old 03-23-19, 07:12 AM   #9
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Quote:
I'll disable the mods you mentioned and give it a go -- much thanks, Rockin Robin

Easy
Then just wait for S7rikeback, a vital member of the FOTRSU team, to do his testing on your mods and he'll tell you which ones will and which ones won't work. How will he know? A couple of years of painful experience trying to adapt other people's stuff to FOTRSU! We've learned more about the game than we EVER wanted to know....

So stand by, then add the approved mods. The ones that work will be designated the first Certified FOTRSU plugin mods.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-19, 10:44 AM   #10
s7rikeback
I break things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
Then just wait for S7rikeback, a vital member of the FOTRSU team, to do his testing on your mods and he'll tell you which ones will and which ones won't work. How will he know? A couple of years of painful experience trying to adapt other people's stuff to FOTRSU! We've learned more about the game than we EVER wanted to know....

So stand by, then add the approved mods. The ones that work will be designated the first Certified FOTRSU plugin mods.
I still need links or uploads for:
AI shoots torpedos

I have the others and will test what i currently have.

***Update***

I used your 50 nm reference as seen below:

Bubbles Mod - inserts a missing Audio file into FotRSU.
File name: Submarine_passing_thermal_layer_INT.wav
Reason - sh.sdl - has this file listed, but cannot play it, until it's been inserted.

creaksNgroans - Wrong folder structure, no data folder in zip. So unless it's added by end-user. It not would not have no effect in-game.
File replacements, no issues found.

With all the above, no CTD near Pearl on return journey...

Last edited by s7rikeback; 03-23-19 at 12:52 PM.
s7rikeback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-19, 12:39 PM   #11
propbeanie

Be carefull with audio files though, since their length as well as their bit-depth and frequency rate (ie: 44.1kHz "stereo" @ 16-bits versus 22.05kHz "mono" @ 16-bits, versus a myriad of other settings). The time length of a Creak file was a contributing factor to the FotRSU issue of "The Sound" from almost 2 years ago (more??). What a nightmare. There was also a Crash Dive alarm sound that ran too long, and that was what got stuck in the game's craw and keep playing over and over and over and... is there a reason you want to change the underwater creaks and groans of the sub? I would not recommend doing that in FotRSU, unless you're cetain the file "comply" with the "Stock Game" standard we attempt to follow. The same for "bubbles".

The "Japanese_Gyoratei" is the IJN version of a PT boat. Faith may have re-worked keltos01 & Peabody's version of that. They may have gotten it from the Schnellboot... ?? The "AI Shoots Torpedoes" is one of the earlier versions of what DarkFish / Polyfiller / jhapprich / keltos01 / Peabody all worked on years ago. Using it in FotRSU would ruin the other ships' AI Torpedoes - not recommended to use - probable CTD. However, you could probably convert the Gyoratei to be FotRSU compatible, and put FotRSU torpedo spawn "guns" on it.

Old 03-23-19, 12:46 PM   #12
s7rikeback
I break things

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Be carefull with audio files though, since their length as well as their bit-depth and frequency rate (ie: 44.1kHz "stereo" @ 16-bits versus 22.05kHz "mono" @ 16-bits, versus a myriad of other settings). The time length of a Creak file was a contributing factor to the FotRSU issue of "The Sound" from almost 2 years ago (more??). What a nightmare. There was also a Crash Dive alarm sound that ran too long, and that was what got stuck in the game's craw and keep playing over and over and over and... is there a reason you want to change the underwater creaks and groans of the sub? I would not recommend doing that in FotRSU, unless you're cetain the file "comply" with the "Stock Game" standard we attempt to follow. The same for "bubbles".

The "Japanese_Gyoratei" is the IJN version of a PT boat. Faith may have re-worked keltos01 & Peabody's version of that. They may have gotten it from the Schnellboot... ?? The "AI Shoots Torpedoes" is one of the earlier versions of what DarkFish / Polyfiller / jhapprich / keltos01 / Peabody all worked on years ago. Using it in FotRSU would ruin the other ships' AI Torpedoes - not recommended to use - probable CTD. However, you could probably convert the Gyoratei to be FotRSU compatible, and put FotRSU torpedo spawn "guns" on it.
That was my primary reaction to the initial mod list, the AI torp raised flags straight away...
I will upload and share the "bubbles" mod so that you can check the audio settings pb. And if suitable, Easy_Eight65 has given us a big helping hand in the audio department.
Old 03-23-19, 01:30 PM   #13
Easy_Eight65
Swab Jockey

Okay, so I have disabled all mods except FOTRSU in JSGME. Still Crashing to Desktop after loading screen finishes. I'm not running in any compatibility mode or as Admin. Should I be? I do recall installing the stock version in Vista Compatibility, because I'm running a brand new rig in Win 10 w/ 64 bit. I should also mention the game was running fine with FOTRSU and the other mods until the end of my 2nd patrol -- that's when I started having consistent CTDs returning to Pearl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7rikeback View Post
That was my primary reaction to the initial mod list, the AI torp raised flags straight away...
I will upload and share the "bubbles" mod so that you can check the audio settings pb. And if suitable, Easy_Eight65 has given us a big helping hand in the audio department.

Old 03-23-19, 02:04 PM   #14
s7rikeback
I break things

Quote:
Okay, so I have disabled all mods except FOTRSU in JSGME. Still Crashing to Desktop after loading screen finishes. I'm not running in any compatibility mode or as Admin. Should I be? I do recall installing the stock version in Vista Compatibility, because I'm running a brand new rig in Win 10 w/ 64 bit. I should also mention the game was running fine with FOTRSU and the other mods until the end of my 2nd patrol -- that's when I started having consistent CTDs returning to Pearl.
Hmmm a few questions:
is this a clean install, As in original SH4 plus FotRSU ?
Have you used multish4 to set a new user folder ?
If not, did you delete the old user folder ?
This is found in Documents > SH4 or whatever you may have named it.
Have you used LAA ? As in here

Last edited by s7rikeback; 03-23-19 at 04:45 PM.
s7rikeback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-19, 02:07 PM   #15
propbeanie

After you removed the other mods via JSGME, did you clear your Save folder? The game pulls data from that, whether you are doing Campaign or Single Mission, or whatever. Remember, SH4 is nothing more than an SH3 clone, with a few extra files, and all of the SH3 left-overs still in its build - seriously. You could also consult THEBERBSTER's thread SH4 <> TUTORIALS <> HOW TO DO IT <> INFO <> DOWNLOAD LINKS -STICKY INDEX for all things "SH4". He has a section in there devoted to Windows 10. Also, that CapnScurvy thread Windows10; Large Address Aware; SH4 Install is an excellent resource for installing Windows 10 ~and~ Silent Hunter 4, while activating LAA. You might find that you're going to have to do a complete re-install of the game though. Be ready for that...