Click here to access the Tanksim website
SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

BUYING GAMES, BOOKS, ELECTRONICS, and STUFF
THROUGH THIS LINK SUPPORTS SUBSIM, THANKS!

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Tanksim.com

Old 08-11-07, 11:57 AM   #1
Lible
Mate

Downloads: 3
Uploads: 0
Default So.. which tank sim?

I've been looking for a tank sim for a while now, but all sources tell different thing. What would you recommend.

I like something realistic, but not superultra realistic, so I don't get caught so quick. And I want to be able to be able to man everything, but ofcourse others onboard should have to be functionable too. Abd buce graphics are a must too (something from ~2002 onward)

Your suggestions?

EDIT: And I prefer WW2 too, but it's not a must.

EDIT2: Oh, and I want a only-tank sim (So, it's focused on tanks, you may be able to get off for something, but that's not important)

Old 08-11-07, 12:10 PM   #2
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Modern: SBP, search this forum, there is plenty of threads about it, and two stickies (screenshots, and ressources).

WWII: wait a while. There is an upcoming sim which visually seems to look good, if the gameplay, realism and physics can compete with that remains to be seen.
Old 08-11-07, 01:46 PM   #3
Lible
Mate

Ouch, that's looks really cool , but pricey.. it's much more than 1/10 of the average month's salary here.

I think I'm going for T72: Balkans on Fire for now
Lible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-07, 04:01 PM   #4
Skybird
Soaring

Think of it like this:

average price per game today around 39-49 euros. SBP around 95 Euro. that is SBP equals the price of 2 - 2.25 average games

Life expectancy od average game: measured in months.
for SBP, including dedicated support, addons: several years.

If you stay with it that long is a question of taste, of course. SB-players I know stayed with it since 1999 so far (if I do not mistake the first release of SB1).

All other questions answered in depth in my review.
Old 08-12-07, 04:15 AM   #5
Heibges
Sea Lord

Downloads: 1

SBP lets you be everything from the driver on a single tank, all the way up to the Battallion Commander, and all at the same time!

Add to that it's level of realism, and you can't go wrong.
U.Kdt.Hdb B. I. 28) This possibility of using the hydrophone to help in detecting surface ships should, however, be restricted to those cases where the submarine is unavoidably compelled to stay below the surface.

http://www.hackworth.com/
Heibges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-07, 07:34 AM   #6
Lible
Mate

I don't usually *cough cough* buy games I only play for a month or two, the games I play are supposed to last pretty long - SH3 I'll keep playing until something comparable comes out and SH4 isn't really comparable and my first favorite game: Live for Speed I've been playing for a few years and it's only about halfway completed. These are the only games I don't even think about WHY did I spend money one them. And they both cost the price of 1 game. I think I'll see what that new game will be before buying anything so proffesional..
Lible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-07, 02:37 PM   #7
Skybird
Soaring

It seems this is the first guy ever that I cannot convert into a happy customer!

Never mind, Lible, take the time you need. I get you later, then. Meanwhile I delegate you to the other plenty SBP threads here, and to their main forum at http://www.steelbeasts.com/sbforums/...isplay.php?f=3 . - As they say: loosing a battle means that the war goes on.
Old 08-12-07, 05:12 PM   #8
Heibges
Sea Lord

Downloads: 1

Don't give up Skybird. In most sales situations, you have to pitch the customer on three different occasions until you get them to say yes.
U.Kdt.Hdb B. I. 28) This possibility of using the hydrophone to help in detecting surface ships should, however, be restricted to those cases where the submarine is unavoidably compelled to stay below the surface.

http://www.hackworth.com/
Heibges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-07, 06:05 PM   #9
Skybird
Soaring

I'm not used to that! Usually I push for first-round-hit capabilty!
Old 08-12-07, 06:11 PM   #10
Camaero
The Old Man

Downloads: 18

I am this close to getting SBP! All because of you Skybird! I only wish there was a campaign.

Does the MP more than make up for that?
Old 08-13-07, 02:35 AM   #11
porphy
Commodore

Downloads: 4

This is what MP in SB Pro PE can be! http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=jSrkijbiem0

at Lible: If you can save up for SB Pro I think you will be happy. T-72 balkan is a disapointment compared to SB. Also consider second hand value. Yes, if you somehow don't like SB Pro, you will be able to sell it without to much loss. Not so with many other pc titles. (another sales argument to the list sky!)

at Camaero: you know you want it and have decided to get it. Just push the button

Cheers Porphy

"A paranoid is simply someone in possession of all the facts."
W. B.
porphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-07, 01:58 PM   #12
Camaero
The Old Man

Downloads: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by porphy
This is what MP in SB Pro PE can be! http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=jSrkijbiem0

at Lible: If you can save up for SB Pro I think you will be happy. T-72 balkan is a disapointment compared to SB. Also consider second hand value. Yes, if you somehow don't like SB Pro, you will be able to sell it without to much loss. Not so with many other pc titles. (another sales argument to the list sky!)

at Camaero: you know you want it and have decided to get it. Just push the button

Cheers Porphy
lol I did last night. After a little learning then VU here I come.
Old 08-13-07, 02:46 PM   #13
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaero
I am this close to getting SBP! All because of you Skybird!
I only wish there was a campaign. [/quote]

can understand that, I am a dynamic campaign fan myself. But truth is: i do not miss it anymore. really. Like I also do not miss shadows or dynamic weather changes or day-and-night-cycle. there is so much intensity that lets your forget these things after the first minute.

Quote:
Does the MP more than make up for that?
Can't tell you by own experience - I never play anything, no matter what, online. but as far as I overheared the chatter by the guys, MP is a blast and it is stable. Keep in mind that the sim was developed as a multi-student-training platform from day one on. I would be extremely surprised if teamplay is anything less than superb. Its the core of the whole concept behind SBP.

Military classroom license for 10 connected machines costs 18000 $US. when considering that the PE version is almost identical and only limited in size of terrain maps and team members, the 125$ are even extremely cheap. Many other pro simulator software out there costs several times as much, and is said to do a worse job all to often.
Old 08-15-07, 02:41 AM   #14
Castout
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 6

Hahaha I'm a newbie too I got helped from Skybird when I decided to get SB Pro PE. I just got SB Pro PE for 2 weeks.

@Lible and Camaero: SB Pro PE is way over other tank sim around including T72 Balkans on Fire or Iron Warrior. Much better. SB Pro PE is the kind of game which will win over present contenders or even future contenders by a large margin. That's pretty obvious because no other developer works with military clients all over the world like eSim does.

I know it's rather pricey believe me because I live in where the average fresh graduate monthly salary is around $160.00 only. So the price of SB Pro is pretty well over 50% of an average fresh graduate monthly salary.

Anyway I've made a short review of SB Pro PE.
If you both are interested in SB Pro PE, you may take a look at my short review besides that of Skybird's at tanksim. Here's the link

http://www.freewebs.com/renaldihiraw...eastsprope.htm

@Skybird, thx for the help man. Really appreciate it. Now i'm lookin forward to a Russian tank(T80 or T72) very much. I hope it eventually be released in the PE version for free.
Old 08-15-07, 04:11 AM   #15
Skybird
Soaring

You're welcome.