SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-16-19, 06:25 PM   #1
Dale1957
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 5
Uploads: 0
Default Getting To Patrol Area

have not played silent hunter in about fifteen years so I purchased through the subsim store SH4 gold.anyone know any tricks on how to complete entering your assigned patrol area?. I keep cruising around by the big gold star,but it keeps saying incomplete.I forgot that this was a pain,lol
Dale1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-19, 07:51 PM   #2
Slyguy3129
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale1957 View Post
have not played silent hunter in about fifteen years so I purchased through the subsim store SH4 gold.anyone know any tricks on how to complete entering your assigned patrol area?. I keep cruising around by the big gold star,but it keeps saying incomplete.I forgot that this was a pain,lol
You usually need to keep station for a few hours to a few days. The mission brief before you leave port will tell you how long, and the area size you need to stay in.

Perhaps you clicked away that screen too fast?
Old 04-16-19, 08:44 PM   #3
jimmbbo
Run silent, run deep

Downloads: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale1957 View Post
You need to stay within a radius of the star for a period of time (48 hr IIRC). I draw a 55nm circle and remain within it till the star turns gray... Don't need to be moving, as the only scoring element is time spent.
jimmbbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-19, 09:10 PM   #4
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

If your orders said something to the effect of "Deploy to the area of XX and engage enemy merchant shipping" (with "the area of XX" being any one of a number of locations), then you have a "Sink" mission objective. When you arrived at the "Star" location, did you get a message "ENGAGE ENEMY MERCHANT SHIPPING IN AREA XX"? That would be the 'Part 2' of the mission. You generally have to sink 10,000 tons worth of shipping. But it doesn't come to you, you have to go find it. You may have to sink two or three ships, depending upon their sizes.

If your orders said something like "Patrol area XX and engage enemy shipping" (with "area XX" being any one of a number of locations), then you have to stay within a given distance of the "Star" for a given time period. Generally speaking, you are talking about a 'radius' of 100 kilometers, or a diameter of just over 100 nautical miles. Draw yourself a circle that size (I use 75nm to be 'safe'), and stay within it. The time period is usually 2880 minutes, which is 48 hours, or two days...

There are also SpecOps that you could be assigned to, such as a photo recon, or an insertion of a spy or coast watcher or supplies, or maybe they want you to lifeguard for downed pilots. These missions have unusual circumstances. If you have one, let us know.

If you have a mod, all of the above can be and probably are changed.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-19, 08:19 AM   #5
Dale1957
Machinist's Mate

thanks guys.
Old 04-17-19, 10:04 AM   #6
Dale1957
Machinist's Mate

I got it. plotted a course 200 nm around area then with speed at 0,increased time until star turned gray.
Old 04-17-19, 10:18 AM   #7
propbeanie

That works.

Old 04-17-19, 11:37 AM   #8
Dale1957
Machinist's Mate

thnx man.you know of any voice mods that replace the wimpy stock versions?
Old 04-17-19, 06:59 PM   #9
propbeanie

Not off the top of my head. There are nine folders in the "Data / Sound / Speech" folder, that have almost (not quite) identical phrases for the crew, but with different pitch and EQ applied to them. My guess is that they didn't have a whole lot of voice talent when they did the game, so they use the same person's voice at a low pitch, normal pitch, high pitch, and then have whisper, normal, and shout phrases for everything. Some folks have tried to mod portions of that. Now, if you want them speaking German, there's that...