SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-14-15, 07:28 PM   #1
FredMSloniker
Watch

Downloads: 11
Uploads: 0
My first patrol: what am I doing wrong?

I'm playing my first Silent Hunter 4 campaign, with the expansion, TMO, and RSRDC installed, and I've just had the same scenario repeat three times in a row on my very first mission: I get an airplane warning and immediately hit 'crash dive'. Immediately isn't immediately enough, however, as the plane is on me less than ten seconds later, and I get the crap bombed out of me. To be clear, this isn't some case where I keep reloading; I get bombed, dive, make repairs, do course wiggling, surface, and am able to sail a bit before the next plane teleports in, or seems to.

What am I doing wrong? Is there something I should be doing to get more warning? I tried shooting back once, but that just got my AA guy killed and both periscopes knocked out...
FredMSloniker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-15, 07:31 PM   #2
razark
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 393
Uploads: 12

Do you have SD radar installed? I believe it should be available from the begining of the war. It should give you enough of a warning to get under before the planes find you.

Edit:
And welcome aboard, by the way!
Old 02-14-15, 07:40 PM   #3
Armistead
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 364

Been awhile, but if starting out of Manila, depending on boat, you may not get air radar, so it's visual and usually you just get under unless you're in the old S boat which takes forever.

You see my dog don't like people laughing. He gets the crazy idea you're laughing at him. Now if you apologize like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.
Armistead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-15, 07:43 PM   #4
FredMSloniker
Watch

I'm starting from Pearl Harbor in the Porpoise, start of the war. I'll check and see if I can find the SD radar. Thanks!

e: also, does this board not have custom avatars?
Old 02-14-15, 07:50 PM   #5
razark
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredMSloniker View Post
I'm starting from Pearl Harbor in the Porpoise, start of the war.
You should have it available as a choice. I think the game should start you with it installed if it is available.

Be warned, however. The game will not tell you if your radar is picking up an air or surface contact. Once you get both radars, you will have to figure out which one it is on your own.

Quote:
does this board not have custom avatars?
They are available if you choose to donate to the website.
Old 02-14-15, 08:07 PM   #6
FredMSloniker
Watch

Okay, I just checked. SD radar is a 500-renown upgrade for the Porpoise, at least with the mods I'm running. Is there anything else I should be doing to avoid being picked apart by aircraft?
Old 02-14-15, 08:22 PM   #7
Crannogman
Watch Officer

Downloads: 24

Quote:
Okay, I just checked. SD radar is a 500-renown upgrade for the Porpoise, at least with the mods I'm running. Is there anything else I should be doing to avoid being picked apart by aircraft?
Have good watch and sensor men, an excellent AA gunner (good skills in watch and guns) and at least a double-barrel 20mm AA gun
Old 02-14-15, 08:26 PM   #8
razark
Ocean Warrior

If you do get caught on the surface, go to flank speed, and start turning towards the plane. Then crash dive. Once you are under water, change your course, just in case he tries to drop on where he thinks you are. Don't try to fight on the surface, unless you cannot dive for some reason (damage or shallow water).

The best way to deal with planes is to stay away from them. Remember that they are on search patrols. They'll fly out some direction for some distance, and then return to base. This means that once a plane has passed over you, he's probably going to be coming back over on his return leg.

If you have map contacts on:
Once you get SD radar, you'll find you don't need to dive for every plane. When you get a contact, go to the map and draw a 5 or 6 nm circle around your boat. Draw two lines from the contact tangent to this circle. This will leave you with a drawing of an ice cream cone on your map. The circle is the range he can visually spot you in. Watch how the contact moves. If he enters the "cone", it means he will reach that circle, and you should pull the plug and get under. If he doesn't enter that cone, he'll be outside of the circle, and you can stay on the surface.
Old 02-14-15, 09:59 PM   #9
FredMSloniker
Watch

Okay, so I started a fresh map, set out from Pearl Harbor, headed to the destination point, and patrolled.

And patrolled.

And patrolled.

My orders were to patrol the area for 72 hours, but it's January now, and I still haven't received objective complete. Do they expect me to sink something--anything--before I can come back? Am I misreading the map somehow, circling the star that marked where I was supposed to go? Or what?
Old 02-14-15, 10:13 PM   #10
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Okay, so I started a fresh map, set out from Pearl Harbor, headed to the destination point, and patrolled.

And patrolled.

And patrolled.

My orders were to patrol the area for 72 hours, but it's January now, and I still haven't received objective complete. Do they expect me to sink something--anything--before I can come back? Am I misreading the map somehow, circling the star that marked where I was supposed to go? Or what?
you have to stay in the area given, only your time "in that area" count, leave the area or park just out of the boundary and the clock stops until you return inside the boundary.

are you new to the game? if so why are you using TMO? its one of the toughest mods to survive the game with, its designed to increase your pucker factor lol.

if you are a beginner try the stock game until you have experience and get good at it.
Old 02-14-15, 10:16 PM   #11
razark
Ocean Warrior

It's been a long time since I've used RSRDC. Does the map have circles around the patrol objective?

One other thing I remember having to do at one point is sending a patrol report when you have been patrolling long enough. Note the time you arrive on station, remain close (I don't remember how close. It might have been 50 or 150 nm from the marker.), and send a patrol report when enough time has passed.
Old 02-14-15, 10:29 PM   #12
FredMSloniker
Watch

Yes, I'm completely new! I was under the impression that I'd have to unlearn a bunch of bad habits if I didn't start with TMO. I was also under the impression that the Rising Sun mod made mission generation a lot better. Should I uninstall both, or just get rid of TMO and use the standalone RSRDC? Actually, let me generalize that question: should I play completely stock to start with, or are there some must-have quality-of-life mods?

As for staying in the patrol area, uh, how do I know that I'm in it? The message doesn't say exactly what shape the area is, and the only icon I see on the map is the 'go here' icon from the first objective.
Old 02-14-15, 11:29 PM   #13
Captain Dave
Officer

Downloads: 398
Uploads: 3

On your map, click on the compass. Move it to the center of the star in your patrol area. Then hold your left mouse button down and draw a line. When he number at the end of the line matches the number in your orders, let go of the button and right click your mouse. The circle will be your patrol zone.
Captain Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-15, 12:36 AM   #14
FredMSloniker
Watch

Okay, I'm gonna get rid of TMO and use just the Run Silent Run Deep Campaign, see how that goes. I think what may be going on is some sort of non-fatal mod conflict, because I'm not given a number in my orders for the size of the patrol area, and indeed my brief orders simply say to kill shipping. So the 72-hour figure may not actually apply. Anyway. Experimentation ahoy!
Old 02-15-15, 01:14 AM   #15
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 153
Uploads: 11

Make sure you have the correct version of RSRDC; there are versions for each of TMO, RFB, and stock.

If you are seeing a lot of aircraft, I would consider patrolling submerged. Otherwise, all you can do is crash dive, and hope for the best.
TorpX is offline   Reply With Quote