SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-22-15, 10:03 AM   #1
pdiddy
Gunner

Downloads: 227
Uploads: 0
Default To sink the 1,314 ships in the Pacific in WW2, an amazing 14,748 torpedoes were fired

Take heart all you 100% realism players! That's roughly one ship for every 11 torpedoes fired! I hate missing, but if you are sinking two ships per patrol you're about fleet average!

Of course, you're probably doing much worse early war with duds, so you'll have to step up your game late war!

Info found here: Ahoy - Mac's Web Log

Last edited by pdiddy; 01-22-15 at 10:06 AM. Reason: an addition
pdiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-15, 01:58 AM   #2
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 153
Uploads: 11

I recently went through the statistics in the back of Roscoe's US Submarine Operations of WWII, and while I never totaled the torpedo and ship numbers, your figures tell the same story.

For instance, I divided the number of merchant ships sunk by the number of attacks made. The best monthly figure was 51%, and most were a good deal less than that. In fact in a lot of months the average was no more than 25%.
TorpX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-15, 03:33 PM   #3
merc4ulfate
DILLIGAF

Downloads: 210

It's a big ocean.

Mercfulfate
将補
日本帝國海軍

merc4ulfate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-15, 07:45 PM   #4
merc4ulfate
DILLIGAF

Downloads: 210

Mercfulfate
将補
日本帝國海軍

merc4ulfate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-15, 03:02 PM   #5
ssjtoma
Watch

Downloads: 12
Default very niiice!!!

like these documentaries.
ssjtoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-15, 02:34 PM   #6
Spraug
Helmsman

Downloads: 35

Wow, they even "have" a Tang crew member!
1_TMO_25_small_patch
RSRDC_TMO_V502
RSRDC_V5xx_Patch1
SCAF for RSRDC v502_2.0
IJN_Radar_Fix_2
Spraug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-15, 04:10 PM   #7
pdiddy
Gunner

Sweet video! Thanks!

Slowly making my way through it. At about minute :35, the narrator tallies the 1942 results: abysmal with about 1/2 ship sunk per patrol!

Last edited by pdiddy; 02-06-15 at 08:47 AM. Reason: addition
Old 02-20-15, 12:25 AM   #8
TorpX
Silent Hunter

I recently finished reading LUCK OF THE DRAW, by Capt. C. Kenneth Ruiz. In it he comments on JANAC assessments:

Quote:
Time and again during the war, the submarine fleet did not receive credit for sinkings and damaged ships for a variety of reasons, including interservice rivalries. The official U.S. summary, The War Against Japanese Transportation, was prepared and published by the U.S. Strategic Bombing Survey. That alone should indicate why submarine sinkings were not always carefully documented. The postwar Japanese records left much to be desired and were of little help in documenting sinkings. The Joint Army-Navy Assessment Committee, which established credits for sinkings and damage, was dominated by the Strategic Bombing Survey report, though there was input from the Submarine Operations Research Group.
[emphasis in original]
While other authors made critical comments about the matter, these are the sharpest I've come across. They strongly suggest that the Silent Service was short changed and sinkings were, in fact, significantly undercounted.

While both Blair, and Roscoe seemed to view JANAC figures with a degree of skepticism, they nevertheless relied on them for their histories. Possibly, they did not see any alternative.

I wish I knew more about the details of how the figures were compiled.
Old 02-20-15, 12:34 PM   #9
pdiddy
Gunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorpX View Post
They strongly suggest that the Silent Service was short changed and sinkings were, in fact, significantly undercounted.
Yes, this is most interesting. The more I learn about it, the more it seems either the report and its methodology (or political aim) was flawed or every single sub Skipper's reporting methodology was flawed. It is difficult (for me) to see how it can be viewed any differently.

However negatively the Silent Service felt about the report - concerning criticism, they were unbelievably (to me) but perhaps unremarkably...well...silent.

Though I have noticed in the "Silent Service" TV series, RADM Dykers, the host/narrator, often uses figures in opposition to the JANAC report. He will usually preface with something like "According to my figures..." even though the JANAC report had been out for well over a decade by then. Perhaps collectively the WWII veterans chose to simply ignore the report.

As time marches on, matters such as these will become increasingly difficult to distinguish!
Old 02-21-15, 03:59 AM   #10
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdiddy View Post
As time marches on, matters such as these will become increasingly difficult to distinguish!
Quite so.

I was thinking about this because in any war sim with ships, be it SH or WitP, you need to estimate the size of the Japanese merchant fleet. If you have to rely on inaccurate/incomplete records, then estimates of shipping traffic may be off the mark.