SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-25-15, 08:30 PM   #1
Pigboatcook
A-ganger

Downloads: 21
Uploads: 0
Default The Scully/Mulder Glitch

I'm at a total loss with this one. It is probably system related but it is a genuine X-file glitch. Ok, here goes..(suggestions appreciated)

I'm in game and receive an incoming aircraft warning from the radar. Crash dive, do a quick 30 degree turn at 120 feet, stay at flank for a min or two while I get under 250 feet. Game time factor is always 1 when I do this. When I hit my usual hiding depth of 280-300 feet I put the boat at 1/3rd and take off the headphones, set them down, and go do whatever real life tasks me with (flush, grab a beer, make a sandwich, whatever). Max time gone is five minutes. I get back, pick up the headphones and I have dead silence. The game still operates, the sub moves, controls work, etc etc but no sound and then within 2 minutes I get a CTD. This loss of sound then CTD thing ONLY happens when I take off the headphones and get out of my chair.

Any suggestions or do I need to Google Scully&Mulder's phone number?

TMO 2.5 w patch/RSRDC w patch/NMO map package. ASUS z97a, Intel I-5 3.4ghz, 16 gigs ram, 2gb ASUS GTX750ti card, Win-7.

Last edited by Pigboatcook; 02-25-15 at 08:48 PM.
Pigboatcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-15, 09:01 PM   #2
Torplexed
Let's Sink Sumptin' !

Downloads: 43

Torplexed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-15, 09:06 PM   #3
Torplexed
Let's Sink Sumptin' !

That is an odd glitch. Are you setting down the headphones anywhere in particular? It's a stretch but maybe the magnets are screwing something up.

--Mobilis in Mobili--
Old 02-25-15, 09:12 PM   #4
Pigboatcook
A-ganger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torplexed View Post
That is an odd glitch. Are you setting down the headphones anywhere in particular? It's a stretch but maybe the magnets are screwing something up.
Hmmmmmm...you might be the genius I was looking for. I do set them down in the same place....on top of my machine. DING DING DING I think you just hit a hole in one! Thanks!
Old 02-25-15, 09:23 PM   #5
Torplexed
Let's Sink Sumptin' !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigboatcook View Post
Hmmmmmm...you might be the genius I was looking for. I do set them down in the same place....on top of my machine. DING DING DING I think you just hit a hole in one! Thanks!
If the theory is proved correct I give credit to Agent Scully and hot government agents everywhere.

Old 02-26-15, 02:22 AM   #6
Crannogman
Watch Officer

Downloads: 24

Have you tried getting a different snack, such as yogurt or a fritata? Perhaps an artisinal whisky? Have you attempted to replicate this with other programs?

My case has a somewhat weak headphone jack, and it's not overly hard to bump them loose. Combine this with a motherboard that just has to know what's plugged in, and it can get confused. Perhaps this would form an alternative theory.
Old 02-26-15, 03:03 AM   #7
Harvs
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 76
Default Headphones

Hi, I have a set of Turtle Beach wireless headphones and when I set them down for a while they turn themselves off.

----------------------------------------------
Intel Core i7-2600K CPU @ 3.40GHz
NVIDIA GeForce GTX650 TiBOOST X2 SLI
16GB RAM
Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64BIT
Harvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-15, 09:29 AM   #8
Pigboatcook
A-ganger

Well, Torplexed you seem to have indeed figured it out. Tested it several times and it only happens when the headphones are put in their usual place which is on top of the machine. The earpieces rest on the plastic front bezel of the computer and directly under the top of the bezel are my USB connectors. It must be some kind of interference/feedback between the USB and jack connectors and the speaker magnets. I submitted your name to the Nobel folks for consideration.

Thanks again.
Old 02-27-15, 04:20 PM   #9
Saba
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigboatcook View Post
and go do whatever real life tasks me with (flush, grab a beer, make a sandwich, whatever).
I've honestly never even thought of grabbing a beer whilst playing Silent Hunter. (Maybe it's the whole not drinking aboard ship thing.) But it is Genius! Might just help during my next depth-charging! (I might even get wild and grab two.)
Old 03-06-15, 08:30 PM   #10
merc4ulfate
DILLIGAF

Downloads: 210
Nuke

No ... I'm not interfering with your computer at all ... did you need a cigarette?

Sometimes the hardest part of believing a truth is understanding your gullibility with the lie it is based upon.

The element of surprise, random acts of unpredictability? If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced.

Mercfulfate
将補
日本帝國海軍

Last edited by merc4ulfate; 03-06-15 at 08:56 PM.
merc4ulfate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-15, 11:24 PM   #11
fireftr18
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by merc4ulfate View Post
No ... I'm not interfering with your computer at all ... did you need a cigarette?

Sometimes the hardest part of believing a truth is understanding your gullibility with the lie it is based upon.

The element of surprise, random acts of unpredictability? If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced.
The truth is out there.
Old 03-07-15, 09:43 AM   #12
merc4ulfate
DILLIGAF

Downloads: 210

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireftr18 View Post
The truth is out there.

Scully now your just turning me on.

Mercfulfate
将補