SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-25-15, 06:43 PM   #16
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

Just waiting on the wife before hitting the door.

Those images of the wires/cables not lining up is due to the placement of the conning towers in order to center the scope view. The scope views won't show an accurate measurement in all directions without moving the entire conning tower on the base sub model. The fact that the 3D models don't line up is a result of fixing the expectation that a measurement is going to be equal in all directions.

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-15, 06:49 PM   #17
HertogJan
Weps

Downloads: 137
Uploads: 0

meaning It can't be altered without breaking OTC
HertogJan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-15, 07:32 PM   #18
Crannogman
Watch Officer

Downloads: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by HertogJan View Post
meaning It can't be altered without breaking OTC
Yes, I went through and disabled some sub files to get the conning tower back to its historical location. Unfortunately, I can't remember the exact files off the top of my head; you'd have to trial & error it. And accept the resulting decrease in rangefinding precision. But it won't blow up the ocean...
Old 02-26-15, 10:01 AM   #19
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Quote:
Anyhow, the SH4.exe was set to 'read only' and as I always use LAA in 'basic mode' I didn't see nor checked the value was true or false altho in said patching successful and running at 3.11GG.
LAA won't display the parameters of the "sh4.exe" file. You have to open the file itself and set the "Attributes" switch of "Read-only" to NULL (which is what you do when you don't have the "Read-only" check marked).

LAA works with many games, SH4 is just one of them. Some game's default .exe file will be set differently than others. Removing the check mark from the "Read-only" attribute of the sh4.exe file is just a quirk to Silent Hunter.

As I pointed out, you can see if LAA is properly installed if you open the LAA app and find the below page showing the correct path of your game.....with the "LAA" parameter set to "True".

So, it sounds like you've got it sorted out.

======================

As far as the eye candy of not having a few cables attached, compared to not getting what you expect as reasonably accurate range finding in all directions....that's for you to decide.

Why don't you make a test mission with the Mission Editor. Setting one Hiryu CV at 2000 yards in front of, and another behind a sub. Measure the distance from the center of the sub, to the center of the carrier.....2000 yards is about 1829 meters. Have both "Docked", so they don't steam away. Save your mission.

Then use TMO 2.5 as the only mod in "Activation", and run your test mission in-game. You should do two test's. One with the Manual Targeting option disabled.....so you can see what the true distance of your target ships are (read the PK Range figure).

Run the mission again, this time using Manual Targeting. Use the TMO mast height as the Stadimeter reference point (as you normally would). How accurate is the bow target Stadimeter range finding compared to the true distance? Then check the stern target. Not only are you going to find a difference in range between the two targets compared to each other (due to the offset of the view) but you'll find a huge difference between the Stadimeter measurement and the true distance.

Want to see what OTC will do for corrections? Add it to TMO 2.5, then play the test mission again.

Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
Old 02-26-15, 03:23 PM   #20
HertogJan
Weps

I double checked via 'advanced' in LAA and its active now , did a check for all my games... some weren't active due to that
I shouldn't be so lazy and do it proper... Would save, Modder like you and me needing to ask, a lot of grief.
I'm not the guy to ask questions if I get stuck, I'll roam the net before and when I get to a dead end I'll ask.
I'm not a total loss tho, I figured out how to get some stuff working, like the conversion Knts/ Nm chart, Chronometer.
It might not be that big of a deal for most but it was my second attempt in modding stuff to my liking... First was a disaster

I don't need to check the difference between TMO and OTC, I know what it does and its a huge improvement.

A BIG THANK YOU FOR THAT!

I absolutely love OTC... that's why I always us it in any mod setup except for RFB cause there isn't one... YET?!? , it's also the main reason I don't use RFB... but will try it out sometime in the future.

As for the cables, I was hoping it would be a hiccup and was (fairly) easily re-workable but if it breaks OTC then I'll not touch it and live with it.
(Gonna go for a S class this time and work my way up, might even skip the Porpoise this time).

PS_ What is the bases on which you're making your 'Mega' Mod... The one in OTC RFB 1.4 thread?
Is it a totally new one or has it a TMO or a RFB bases?
(just remembered something I wanted to add to that thread).
Old 02-26-15, 05:03 PM   #21
CapnScurvy
Admiral

I'm no expert either, but two heads are better than one.....even if they are cabbage!!

Moving the Conning Towers back to their original positions is no big issue. You need to open the Data/Interiors/the specific sub folder/xxx_xx_CT.dat file (the CT stands for Conning Tower, the CR stands for Command Room) and replace the position of the main Conning Tower model (that's the parent model of all the rest of the model parts in the .dat file) using the original stock placement of the model. You can open two .dat files at the same time with S3D, just copy and paste from one to the other. You will need to move the Deck Gun position(s) too.....those are in the M01, M02 linked nodes. Move them back to the original stock position too. Save your changes. Doing this for the four different Conning Towers listed in the Interiors folder should do it. The S-Class didn't need to be moved, it's the only sub that the Dev's had centered as it should be. The rest, not so good.

As far as my new mod, Day of Infamy, here's a run down of what I wish to accomplish:

*Adding additional ships and planes to the game.

*Additional bases for the planes to fly from, with additional sorties as the game progresses.

*Using historical shipping lanes (much like RSRDC) but with an emphasis on correcting the speed factors that causes the sub's hydrophone to not work.

*New Sub Training Missions that will reflect a better tutorial for learning the game (the missions just aren't right!!) The one mission on Manual Targeting is inaccurate due to the inaccuracy of the Stadimeter and target Mast Height.

*A different Environment (sea color, sky, etc.)

*Better use of AI Sensors, capabilities, short comings.

*Better ship/sub action, reaction.....cut out the jack rabbit starts for shipping etc.

*Greater interior models for the subs involved, meaning additional rooms to explore.

*Correcting various issues like when does an upgrade become offered, or when does one end and another begin. Many files are inaccurate in their dates. Like having a date of April 31, 1943.....no such date as April 31, there's only 30 days in April!!

*Reworking how to take/send data to the TDC/PK. I want to have the ability to choose where you decide to take a Stadimeter height reading. The Mast Top, the Bridge, the Funnel, the ships Deck. All basic points will be labeled in the Recognition Manual. You choose the height reference point, set a dial to the Height Measurement, then take a reading from it with the Stadimeter. Or, count the Telemeter Divisions and use the Omnimeter. I want to have all four data inputs available (Speed, Range, AoB, Relative Bearing) all on one interface.....having different dials or linear sliders to input data all at once.

*As indicated above, a new Recognition Manual will be in order.

*Reworking the A-Scope to have it only used for Planes.....from the start of the game, as the Real life SD Radar did.

*Add, refine, most of the eliments that OTC has morphed into.

That's enough off the top of my head.

Quote:
Old 02-26-15, 05:13 PM   #22
HertogJan
Weps

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnScurvy View Post
That's enough off the top of my head.

Errrrr.... I would say so indeed... and you still have time to help others, like me....

Questions are already piling up in my head but I'll post those in the other thread to keep it bundled.
Old 03-09-15, 06:09 PM   #23
pdiddy
Gunner

Downloads: 227

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnScurvy View Post

As far as my new mod, Day of Infamy,
I, for one, am pretty excited about your Day of Infamy mod. Even the name is awesome!

Last edited by pdiddy; 03-10-15 at 05:33 PM.
pdiddy is offline   Reply With Quote