SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-11-15, 11:23 PM   #4726
depthtok33l
Sparky

Downloads: 61
Uploads: 0
Hiroshima Raid! (Jan 1, 1942) Part 2

Fusō docked in the same port. Torpedoes on the way!

Hit!

Finishing her off! (It was a long night, New Years Day)
depthtok33l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-15, 11:24 PM   #4727
depthtok33l
Sparky

Downloads: 61
Default Looks like it could be a front cover for a movie or something.

Movie Poster?
depthtok33l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-15, 07:56 AM   #4728
Leandros
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 17
Default More aircraft experiments....

I have done some more aircraft experiments after getting the B-24 and PBY. As you may know there are no way to control the aircraft other than to put in parameters on agility, course, speed, altitude and weapons load. No targets can be assigned. The only way is how you route the aircraft over the targets. Still, there seem to be variations as to what target it picks. It is interesting to see how the same mission scenario give different results each time.

To get a reasonably correct loss/hit rate the aircraft need to be set at "elite" with enemy ships below "veteran". Otherwise, the AA is simply too effective. Particularly in the beginning of the war. Just my opinion. In my "Sink Chitose" scenario the planes are going in at 50 m. Funny enough, the most aggressive are the PBY's, they dive in low and hit the most. The B-24's fly in level and hit better the lower they fly. The torpedo plane has a very good hit rate. Approximately every second launch is a hit. Much better than the Devastators in the beginning of the war.

The bomber complement is 16 four-engine bombers, 4 PBY's and 4 torpedo planes. All set to attack at 50 meter (skip-bombing.......?).

First picture: This first wave give very good results, better than most others:

This B-24 has had it:

Second air-launched torpedo hit - see the other one in the aft:

Torpedo plane probably meant to be a Vindicator:

PBY pulling up after a low-pass drop:

Fred

Last edited by Leandros; 01-15-15 at 04:49 AM.
Leandros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-15, 03:45 PM   #4729
merc4ulfate
DILLIGAF

Downloads: 210

This was one I made of Tokyo with nothing but dive bombers and torpedo planes. It was nice to sit back and watch it.

Tokyo Harbor after two sorties of dive bombers and one sortie of torpedo bombers got done with her. This was a mission to get sit back and watch ... the bombing began at 7:30am 12-8 to commemorate Pearl ... it lasted 4 hours.

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/album.php?albumid=544

Mercfulfate
将補
日本帝國海軍

merc4ulfate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-15, 06:40 PM   #4730
Leandros
Seasoned Skipper

Cool - which US airplane versions do you have in your game?

Fred
Old 01-14-15, 10:51 PM   #4731
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 153
Uploads: 11

Did you have the PBY's use torpedoes, or bombs?
TorpX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-15, 04:45 AM   #4732
Leandros
Seasoned Skipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorpX View Post
Did you have the PBY's use torpedoes, or bombs?

I wasn't given a choice - no torpedoes on the menu of the PBY. So, I Believe it was 8x500 lbs bombs.

Fred
Old 01-16-15, 09:12 AM   #4733
captcrane
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 184

captcrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-15, 02:12 AM   #4734
Hambone307
Planesman

Downloads: 93

USS Plunger:
Leaving Surabaya Naval Base to patrol north of Manila.

We had been underway for approximately 2 hours when my WO called out contacts. I climbed the tower to see what was going on and found that he had picked up a friendly task force coming into port southwest of us. I told him to quit being so jumpy and then I got back to the control room.
After another two hours, my WO called out ship sighted again. Exasperated, I started to climb the tower when, suddenly, my sonar operator called out contacts. No sooner do those words come out of his mouth, our boat was rocked by two explosions. I called for battle stations, ahead flank, and a knuckle to port. As I reached the deck I could see three destroyers north-east of us about 8000yds out firing madly. At first I thought it was a friendly patrol who got jumpy, but as I brought up my binoculars, I could see the rising sun flying from their mast.
I asked my navigator to sound the depth, knowing that we were in shallow water. He replied that we had 170' below our keel. I knew that staying on the surface and trying to run to deeper water would get us nowhere but sunk, so I ordered our boat to periscope depth, changed course to 205, and opened the after torpedo tubes.
I raised the attack periscope to see all three DDs hot on our tail, quick range estimation showed they were still 2000yds out. I adjusted the torpedoes to run as shallow as possible and, against better judgement, set them to magnetic detonation.
I fired both after tubes as the lead DD came within 800yds. The torpedoes ran straight and true, but at the last second, the DD made a hard turn to starboard. Both missed, but the trailing destroyers had to make evasive maneuvers themselves to avoid colliding with the lead.
Taking this opportunity, I ordered our depth to 150', silent running, and set electric rpms to 50 with a change of course to 355. Within a few minutes we could hear sonar pings. One of the destroyers got lucky and started to ping us. Soon we could hear the three of them bearing down on our position. Two of the destroyers dropped charges in an X pattern, while the third kept his distance to listen. I had never seen anything like this until this point, and obviously had no idea how to counter the move.
We took major damage on those first two runs. Three bulkheads damaged, flooding throughout the boat, port diesel destroyed, both electrics damaged, 3/4 of the bow torpedo tubes were jammed, the after tubes were destroyed, and bow batteries destroyed. Our damage control team gained control of the flooding in the bow torpedo room as we settled on the ocean floor, just 170' below the circling destroyers.
Thinking this was the end, most of the crew began to pray while going about their tasks. I guess our prayers were answered because the destroyers made three more runs on us. The next two they only dropped a few charges causing minor damage compared to the first salvo. The third run was dry, causing us to pause from our tasks to question our sonar man. after what seemed like an eternity, everything grew silent and our sonar man reported two of the three contacts fading into the distance. The crew worked as quietly as they could and managed to get all flooding under control. After what seemed like decades, but was only realistically about three hours, we heard the third destroyer start her engines and fade away. I can only guess that the destroyers thought they had finished us off.
I waited another hour and a half before we made any attempt to surface. I ordered to blow ballast, and found us to be "stuck" to the sea floor. Pouring almost all of what remained of our compressed air into the ballast tanks, we heard the mud breaking away from our boat, and soon saw the depth gauges start to rise.
As we broached the surface I had the watch and gun crews man their stations, just in case we encountered trouble. Nothing was sighted upon surfacing by the watch crew, but my gun crew came back down with a look of disdain. Our 3"50 that we just got mounted before the patrol had been blown off its mount, as well as a majority of the bow deck plating, the periscopes, and our after twin 20mm.
I contacted Freemantle to advise of the situation, was informed that Surabaya had fallen, and made best sail to Australia to get repairs.
Old 01-28-15, 04:45 PM   #4735
Leandros
Seasoned Skipper

Default Bangka Sound

Bangka Sound, Northern Celebes - morning of Jan. 5th 1942 - USS Gridley passing the sinking IJN Nagara. Following Gridley is USS Maury and USS Northampton:

Last edited by Leandros; 01-28-15 at 05:06 PM.
Leandros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-15, 04:18 AM   #4736
Leandros
Seasoned Skipper

Default Funny one.....

Japanese sailors on a US Somers destroyer......

Fred
Old 01-29-15, 02:55 PM   #4737
Benti
Seaman

Downloads: 155

USS Trout, 9th Patrol in early 1943 close to the salomons.

Again I have to praise the good mods for SH 4. I added the traveller mod to my already existing game with TMO and RSRD.

I was patroling close to the salomon Islands and was surprised by two H6Ks, the odd thing about it was that, after I immediately started to order the crash dive and cancelled the order because the approach way of these bombers seemed to be kind of weird or lets say different. They didnt dive from above but instead they approached the sub on a 90° angle on my port side. So I grabed my binoculars and watched the aproaching planes. (I know way too curious, but I just started with SH 4 and I am eager to experience the good and bad things :P)
So as the planes were about 2000 yards away from the good ol trout, I ordered my watchmen to man the deckguns and start blazing. A few hits were seen, but the aircraft didn't stop their approach, instead I watched in horror that they launched torpedos!! I am on the one hand shocked and on the other amazed about this awesome feature! I was able to dodge them and dive down after this. So I wasn't sunk but I won't try that again!

benti
Old 01-31-15, 06:27 AM   #4738
Leandros
Seasoned Skipper

Default Nothing to do....

....about this, guys....

The Japanese were rather p***** off after we had damaged two Ise-class battleships, sunk and damaged two heavy cruisers and sunk one destroyer. Finally, we were forced up to the surface to a warm welcome.

Fred
Old 02-01-15, 03:25 PM   #4739
ssjtoma
Watch

Downloads: 12
Default started a new patrol

USS Seadragon

Captain Vlad Lawless

departed Cavite on December 10th 1941 to patrol off the coast of Luzon. I took a different route heading for the South China Sea. I encountered my first enemy force on December 14th off the coast of French Indochina. I encountered a Japanese task force of 3 destroyers and 5 Merchants moving at medium speed.
I approached this task force from the south east attacking at the starboard side of the task force. I waited for one of the flanking DDs to turn its search pattern away from my sub and moved in for the kill.
Having only 4 torpedoes ready I adjusted my attack to compensate for the speed of the merchants. I adjusted my torpedo spread and and calculated the attack angle. I fired all four tubes in quick succession about 3000 meters off. I dropped the periscope and turned south to get out of the area.
After turning and heading at flank away from the Task Force, I got the messages of torpedo impacts.
I raised the attack scope and observed 2 merchants afire and sinking. I adjusted my position and tracked the rest of the task force. I calculated the trajectory of the rear tubes and adjusted my position on the TO. I was a little farther this time trying to calculate the angle of attack.
I fired my 4 rear tubes after getting a good angle on 2 of the remaining vessels. 2 missed and 2 hit one of the merchants sending it to the bottom of the South China Sea.
Nothing but whiskey and celebrating as I got my Sub out of the area and the tubes reloaded for my next encounter!!

would love it if the ship had a wog-day!
ssjtoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-15, 01:30 PM   #4740
ssjtoma
Watch

Downloads: 12
Default Just my luck

I had just finished my patrol near Luzon and was returning to base for refit. At Longitude 126 degrees 20' E, Latitude 5 degrees 10' N at 4:07 AM on March 21st 1942 I came across a taskforce moving east out of the Celebes Sea near Mindanao. It had 3 main columns including 5 battleships, 4 cruisers, 4 tankers, roughly 6 destroyers.....JUST MY LUCK....I only had 4 rear torpedoes left from my patrol SMH!!!!!
Reported contact and moved on!!!!!
Would have been a nice dream to line up on at least two of the battleships!!
ssjtoma is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
screenshots