SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-23-12, 02:32 PM   #1531
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 5

For the AO MTL files I can't just place one material entry in them. This is because each subset can have a different material and thus there would be different entries. I'm thinking it over as to how I want to remedy the duplicate entries though.

The 'd' parameter and 'map_bump' and 'bump' entries have been removed from the AO MTL file.

I played around with the material bindings to ensure the app wasn't causing an error in the file. App is writing files fine. The problem is it appears Goblin and the game will only allow x material bindings for x mesh subsets. i.e.: if the mesh has 5 subsets then you HAVE to define 5 material bindings for the mesh. Anything more or less and Goblin and the game will crash. This is the devs not understanding the Granny format it appears. Granny Viewer will load GR2 files with more or less material bindings than subsets with no problems. Not much I can do about that - those are the rules defined by Goblin and the game

@BIGREG - the error you are getting when you rename a mesh I can't reproduce. I'll need to see the GR2 file and tell me what you did so I can try and recreate the problem to see why it's throwing an error.
TheDarkWraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-12, 02:51 PM   #1532
BIGREG
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 155
Uploads: 0

Quote:
For the AO MTL files I can't just place one material entry in them. This is because each subset can have a different material and thus there would be different entries. I'm thinking it over as to how I want to remedy the duplicate entries though.
OK ,if you want i can send you a "redo" .obj ,to see how is writting the .mtl

Quote:
The 'd' parameter and 'map_bump' and 'bump' entries have been removed from the AO MTL file.

Quote:
I played around with the material bindings to ensure the app wasn't causing an error in the file. App is writing files fine. The problem is it appears Goblin and the game will only allow x material bindings for x mesh subsets. i.e.: if the mesh has 5 subsets then you HAVE to define 5 material bindings for the mesh. Anything more or less and Goblin and the game will crash. This is the devs not understanding the Granny format it appears. Granny Viewer will load GR2 files with more or less material bindings than subsets with no problems. Not much I can do about that - those are the rules defined by Goblin and the game
Yes ,but now i have more subsets (eg : in CT_body mesh,i have more as 20 subsets now)
and I think as you, to the "knowledge" of the guys who made the game
That seem all are working in his corner,and a guy tried to bring all together ! in a format that was unknown to him !

Quote:
@BIGREG - the error you are getting when you rename a mesh I can't reproduce. I'll need to see the GR2 file and tell me what you did so I can try and recreate the problem to see why it's throwing an error
That is with the original CT_room.GR2,try to rename the chepeng mesh

"Better watch where you do not go, because where were going, we will know what it is when we get there, and anyway, it will never be only water."

Proverbe Shadok
BIGREG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-12, 02:56 PM   #1533
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGREG View Post

Send away

Yes ,but now i have more subsets (eg : in CT_body mesh,i have more as 20 subsets now)

There is another 'anomoly' with Goblin/the game. The material bindings HAVE to be in subset order. i.e.: the first material binding will be for subset 0, the second material binding will be for subset 1. If you have a subset referencing a material binding out of order (either greater or less than) Goblin/the game will crash. I don't understand why Goblin/the game is like this

That is with the original CT_room.GR2,try to rename the chepeng mesh

I'll try it now and report back
see above in yellow.

EDIT:

was able to rename that mesh with no problems.
Old 06-23-12, 03:25 PM   #1534
BIGREG
Grey Wolf

Quote:

Send away
Here the CT_body AO with just one material assigned for all subsets (bump+opacity deleted) ,all subsets are present in (i think in .obj ) : https://dl.dropbox.com/u/8655607/CT_Body_AO.7z

Quote:

There is another 'anomoly' with Goblin/the game. The material bindings HAVE to be in subset order. i.e.: the first material binding will be for subset 0, the second material binding will be for subset 1. If you have a subset referencing a material binding out of order (either greater or less than) Goblin/the game will crash. I don't understand why Goblin/the game is like this
Do you think ,if i sort in good place my materials ,it will work

Quote:
was able to rename that mesh with no problems.
i have just retry ,and i have always the error
(but the new name is taken into account)

"Better watch where you do not go, because where were going, we will know what it is when we get there, and anyway, it will never be only water."

Proverbe Shadok
Old 06-23-12, 03:35 PM   #1535
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Quote:
Do you think ,if i sort in good place my materials ,it will work

i have just retry ,and i have always the error
(but the new name is taken into account)
Would love to know how to reproduce the error you are getting.

As far as sorting your materials: do you have any subsets that reference the same material? This is where I see there might be a problem. I'll have to test some more things. First I have to let the app be able to add the same material to a mesh's material bindings that way subsets referencing the same material still follow the rule of material bindings/subset ordering set forth by Goblin/the game.
Old 06-23-12, 03:57 PM   #1536
BIGREG
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Would love to know how to reproduce the error you are getting.
Yes,but i don't can help ,i have take the original file and just rename the chepeng and me i would love that not reproduce any more
(that is not a big problem in any case )

Well, I think I need to store all the materials in the order of the subsets
and assign the new material every time I add a subset

Proverbe Shadok
Old 06-23-12, 03:59 PM   #1537
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Quote:
Well, I think I need to store all the materials in the order of the subsets
and assign the new material every time I add a subset
Do you have any subsets that reference the same material? Or is each subset using a different material?
Old 06-23-12, 04:08 PM   #1538
BIGREG
Grey Wolf

I have send you my .gr2
and yes after importing all "new" subsets take the first material in the list (floor_metal) ,but i have reassign existing material to some subsets
(table,chepeng..)

Proverbe Shadok
Old 06-23-12, 04:15 PM   #1539
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Quote:
I have send you my .gr2
and yes after importing all "new" subsets take the first material in the list (floor_metal) ,but i have reassign existing material to some subsets
(table,chepeng..)
I'll have to send you a new version of the app that will allow you to add a material binding already defined to material bindings. Not sure how Goblin/the game will handle this but we're about to find out!
Old 06-23-12, 04:19 PM   #1540
BIGREG
Grey Wolf

Thank I'll try that, as soon as I receive it

Proverbe Shadok
Old 06-23-12, 04:57 PM   #1541
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Quote:
Thank I'll try that, as soon as I receive it
Just finished making the necessary changes. Did a test run. Opened up Room_CT. Added a new material binding - Metal_01 (same material subset 0 is using). Deleted subset 4's material binding. Set subset 4's material binding to new Metal_01 thus preserving subset/material binding index ordering. Fired up Granny Viewer and of course no problems. Fired up Goblin and no problems

@BIGREG - I'll send you new version here in a few

Last edited by TheDarkWraith; 06-23-12 at 05:21 PM.
Old 06-23-12, 05:40 PM   #1542
BIGREG
Grey Wolf

Ok,that say ,that i need to sorting all materials

i have test version 1.260.1.1 : add tile_metal_01 to CT_body (position 16) and try to assign off the subset 16 ,but that give me this error :

Off other subsets ,before the news ,i have added all work fine)

Edit :Oups ! i have forgot to assign the 15eme

Proverbe Shadok
Old 06-23-12, 05:49 PM   #1543
BIGREG
Grey Wolf

All work fine

You are a Master TDW

Proverbe Shadok
Old 06-23-12, 06:02 PM   #1544
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Quote:
Ok,that say ,that i need to sorting all materials

i have test version 1.260.1.1 : add tile_metal_01 to CT_body (position 16) and try to assign off the subset 16 ,but that give me this error :

Off other subsets ,before the news ,i have added all work fine)

Edit :Oups ! i have forgot to assign the 15eme
That's my error and I just caught it myself I was giving the actual subset index vice the subset's material index It has been fixed.

I also found that removing a material from a mesh's material bindings could go irai if the material bindings contains duplicate materials. This has also been fixed. Sending you updated version now
Old 06-23-12, 06:19 PM   #1545
BIGREG
Grey Wolf

Merci

Tomorrow I try it as soon as I wake up

Proverbe Shadok