SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-09-10, 05:51 PM   #1
XabbaRus
Navy Seal

Downloads: 5
Uploads: 0

Default Wireless network question

I currently have a wireless modem/router that is connected to my Desktop via the ethernet port and obviously has the phone cable plugged in the modem/router.

Now on my desktop all I see is Local Area Connection - Operational.

How can I see what other wireless networks are near by while sitting at my desktop? The laptop is easy as it has a built in wireless and finds quite a few.

The reason I am asking is that I have switched to BT and they have this setup with FON where other BT Customers are opted in to allowing usage of their network to other BT broadband customers. So if I am in London with my laptop I can scan for other BT broadband customers and if they have remained opted in I can get wireless connectivity for free.

I myself am going to opt out, as no matter and I don't care how good they say the system is I do not want some stranger access my broadband connection.
Old 01-09-10, 07:54 PM   #2
Spike88
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by XabbaRus View Post
I currently have a wireless modem/router that is connected to my Desktop via the ethernet port and obviously has the phone cable plugged in the modem/router.

Now on my desktop all I see is Local Area Connection - Operational.

How can I see what other wireless networks are near by while sitting at my desktop? The laptop is easy as it has a built in wireless and finds quite a few.

The reason I am asking is that I have switched to BT and they have this setup with FON where other BT Customers are opted in to allowing usage of their network to other BT broadband customers. So if I am in London with my laptop I can scan for other BT broadband customers and if they have remained opted in I can get wireless connectivity for free.

I myself am going to opt out, as no matter and I don't care how good they say the system is I do not want some stranger access my broadband connection.

Unless you're desktop has a WIFI card or WIFI adapter you wont be able to see what networks are around you.

Although you can see who logs onto your router by going into its control thing(don't know what to call it). How to do this depends on the router. For example on mine I go to gateway.2wire.net
Here's what Mine looks like:

I can see who's connected, and can limit who connects by changing the password needed to get in.

Most of the time you can get into your router by connecting to it's IP.
Quote:
The internal, LAN-IP address is normally set to a default, private number. Linksys routers, for example, use 192.168.1.1 for their internal IP address. D-Link and Netgear routers typically use 192.168.0.1. Some US Robotics routers use 192.168.123.254, and some SMC routers use 192.168.2.1. No matter the brand of router, its default internal IP address should be provided in documentation. Administrators often have the option to change this IP address during router setup. In any case, however, the private LAN-IP address remains fixed once set. It can be viewed from the router's administrative console.
For example if I use mine which is 192.168.1.254, it takes me to the gateway.2wire.net page.
Old 01-09-10, 09:25 PM   #3
CaptainHaplo
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 29

Spike nailed it - without a wireless nic in your desktop, it can't see wireless networks.

Putting in a wireless nic is easy and fairly cheap.

Also - Spike makes some good points. Always secure your wireless network. Sure, the security can be broken by someone who WANTS to - but your average joe in the neighborhood doesnt have the expertise, tools or time.

One often overlooked security feature is locking the network to only specific MAC addresses. This way, not only someone have to crack the security on your network, but they also have to try ALOT of combinations on the MAC to find the right one. Course, there are ways around that - but again - only the true intruders are going to know how.

Captain Haplo
CaptainHaplo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-10, 07:05 AM   #4
XabbaRus
Navy Seal

My wireless network is secured using WEP2 so I'm not worried about that.

I was just wondering if I could vie any wireless networks in my neighbourhood from my desktop.

Obviously not. I'll have to use the laptop for that.

Oh well. no biggie.

Is there not any 3rd party software that could be used?
Old 01-11-10, 10:00 AM   #5
XabbaRus
Navy Seal

A shame really as my BT HomeHub arrived today which is also a router/modem.

I was hoping to have it installed near my phone socket and then keep my current router/modem working only as a wireless router and link to the BT Home Hub from there.

Looks like I will have to have the home hub physically attached to my PC and ditch my old router/modem.
Old 01-11-10, 05:28 PM   #6
longam
Admiral

Downloads: 26

That would require a wireless bridge. (conversion)

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-...reless-bridge/
longam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-10, 06:21 PM   #7
CaptainHaplo
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 29
Ultimately, your desktop has to have some way to receive the broadcast network signal. Thats why it needs a wireless card. You can get em cheap if you want to go that rout.

Captain Haplo
CaptainHaplo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-18, 09:04 PM   #8
Sean C
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 12
Uploads: 2

Just for grins I once tried to log on to some other routers in my neighborhood. Many of them were completely unsecured and used the default admin name and passwords. If I had wanted to, I could have completely re-configured my neighbors' routers (among other things). Don't fool yourself into thinking that no one is going to mess with your home network. Anyone driving by can pick up the signal and could potentially wreak havoc.

Also, when checking for nearby networks on my cell phone once, I saw several that were named "FBI Surveillance Van 1", etc. Gave me a good laugh.
Sean C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-19, 09:54 AM   #9
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default welcome aboard!

moril!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-19, 04:20 AM   #10
u crank
Old enough to know better

Downloads: 136

^ Reported as spam.

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”

― Arthur C. Clarke

u crank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-19, 03:12 PM   #11
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by u crank View Post
^ Reported as spam.
That's bizarre! What could possibly be spam here? Something that is no longer here? lol
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-19, 03:54 AM   #12
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
That's bizarre! What could possibly be spam here? Something that is no longer here? lol
That's what I like to refer to as 'magic'

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is online   Reply With Quote