SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-16-14, 12:40 AM   #1
fastfed
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 244
Uploads: 0
Default So what is this new "hard coded patch" talk?

Getting back into the sub sim after years of DCS, I'd like to take things a little slower, tried giving SH5 a go and I can't believe I'm going to say this but SH5 seems to be getting "good"

But SH3 is where I want to be right now and looking over some posts I see a lot of talk about "Hsie V16B1 and Stiebler4B_V16B1" What in the world is it, where can I read about it and where can I download it?

I want to go with NYGM this time as I always heard it was good, I found someones list of mods and really think it'll add some immersion.

The list below was from his list of mods and I'm wondering how hard it will be to install all of these?

Im installing 1.4b now and downloading all the NYGM files as I type.

But again, what is the deal with the hard coded mod?

thanks!
fastfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-14, 05:13 AM   #2
vanjast
Sea Lord

Downloads: 783
Uploads: 4

Go through this lot slowly... http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=202719

The hard coding stuff is here - Add-on for hardcode fixes (Stiebler)
It's quite simple to implement, just keep on backing up

vanjast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-14, 06:53 AM   #3
BigWalleye
Sea Lord

Downloads: 465

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfed View Post
Getting back into the sub sim after years of DCS, I'd like to take things a little slower, tried giving SH5 a go and I can't believe I'm going to say this but SH5 seems to be getting "good"

But SH3 is where I want to be right now and looking over some posts I see a lot of talk about "Hsie V16B1 and Stiebler4B_V16B1" What in the world is it, where can I read about it and where can I download it?

I want to go with NYGM this time as I always heard it was good, I found someones list of mods and really think it'll add some immersion.

The list below was from his list of mods and I'm wondering how hard it will be to install all of these?

Im installing 1.4b now and downloading all the NYGM files as I type.

But again, what is the deal with the hard coded mod?

thanks!
First, welcome back! Quite a bit has changed.

As you said, SH5 is good. Graphics are beautiful, and the crew does things it's supposed to do (like navigate!), without being infallible robots. But there are storylines, and I just don't like linear campaigns. YMMV.

SH3 has a lot of new stuff. NYGM is my preferred megamod, but everyone has their fav, and a new LSH is coming soon. vanjast just released his Van1920x1080 mod, which makes SH3 pretty much as good-looking as SH4 (IMO). And Hitman's Optics/Hitman's GUI give you the most historically correct U-boat optics. h.sie's patches, and Stiebler's add-on, fix a lot of old problems, like the Lazy WO, and add a lot of historically appropriate limits. And give you real wolfpacks to call in. The patchers basically insert machine-code fixes into a copy of your sh3.exe file, which you then activate with JSGME, overwriting and saving the stock sh3.exe. Changing the machine code makes it possible to do things that can't be done by modding the data files.

A couple of pieces of advice regarding the mod list you posted. First and foremost, if you are going to use h.sie's and Stiebler's patches, the supplements must be activated last. Because you build certain files by editing the final, modded version of those files, and you don't want any other mod to overwrite them.

I was really pleased with SH5 Water for SH3, but recently I switched to ManosEnvironmentPro v4.2. It's newer (which doesn't necessarily mean better) and a more complete environment package. And I personally like the water better than SH5 Water. Of course, that's a matter of personal taste, but do give MEP a look.

Use the 3rd Flotilla mod only if you are going to use the 3rd Flotilla. It overwrites the 10th Flotilla.

TDW_DC_Water_Disturbance_v4_0_SH3 seems to have some issues for some people. You might want to avoid all incarnations of TDW_DC_Water_Disturbance, including those for SH3 Commander, until you have a stable configuration, then try it.

There are a couple of overwrites on the list that are unnecessary. 3D_Waves, for instance, is overwritten by SH5 Water, Harbor Personnel by Port People. Best to avoid that kind of duplication. And Van1920x1080 has a better version of Van's AoB Wheel built-in.

A couple I would recommend:

DD's Open Hatches mod, or FM NewInterior 2.1D. These two add a lot of nice look-and-feel touches to the interior. FM's mod has everything from DD's (and much, much more!), but only for a Typ VII.

Carotio_SH3_ClothesHatsFacesSkilledCrew. Gets away from the uniform look.

There is lots more good stuff around. Settling down to a mod list you like may take a while.

Good luck and good hunting.
BigWalleye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-14, 04:37 PM   #4
fastfed
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWalleye View Post
First, welcome back! Quite a bit has changed.

As you said, SH5 is good. Graphics are beautiful, and the crew does things it's supposed to do (like navigate!), without being infallible robots. But there are storylines, and I just don't like linear campaigns. YMMV.

SH3 has a lot of new stuff. NYGM is my preferred megamod, but everyone has their fav, and a new LSH is coming soon. vanjast just released his Van1920x1080 mod, which makes SH3 pretty much as good-looking as SH4 (IMO). And Hitman's Optics/Hitman's GUI give you the most historically correct U-boat optics. h.sie's patches, and Stiebler's add-on, fix a lot of old problems, like the Lazy WO, and add a lot of historically appropriate limits. And give you real wolfpacks to call in. The patchers basically insert machine-code fixes into a copy of your sh3.exe file, which you then activate with JSGME, overwriting and saving the stock sh3.exe. Changing the machine code makes it possible to do things that can't be done by modding the data files.

A couple of pieces of advice regarding the mod list you posted. First and foremost, if you are going to use h.sie's and Stiebler's patches, the supplements must be activated last. Because you build certain files by editing the final, modded version of those files, and you don't want any other mod to overwrite them.

I was really pleased with SH5 Water for SH3, but recently I switched to ManosEnvironmentPro v4.2. It's newer (which doesn't necessarily mean better) and a more complete environment package. And I personally like the water better than SH5 Water. Of course, that's a matter of personal taste, but do give MEP a look.

Use the 3rd Flotilla mod only if you are going to use the 3rd Flotilla. It overwrites the 10th Flotilla.

TDW_DC_Water_Disturbance_v4_0_SH3 seems to have some issues for some people. You might want to avoid all incarnations of TDW_DC_Water_Disturbance, including those for SH3 Commander, until you have a stable configuration, then try it.

There are a couple of overwrites on the list that are unnecessary. 3D_Waves, for instance, is overwritten by SH5 Water, Harbor Personnel by Port People. Best to avoid that kind of duplication. And Van1920x1080 has a better version of Van's AoB Wheel built-in.

A couple I would recommend:

DD's Open Hatches mod, or FM NewInterior 2.1D. These two add a lot of nice look-and-feel touches to the interior. FM's mod has everything from DD's (and much, much more!), but only for a Typ VII.

Carotio_SH3_ClothesHatsFacesSkilledCrew. Gets away from the uniform look.

There is lots more good stuff around. Settling down to a mod list you like may take a while.

Good luck and good hunting.
Awesome post!! Thanks. So how do I add more mods if I added the hard coded patch?? How do you undo it?? I'm installing a fresh copy tonight and want to get everything up and running.
Old 08-16-14, 05:31 PM   #5
BigWalleye
Sea Lord

Quote:
Awesome post!! Thanks. So how do I add more mods if I added the hard coded patch?? How do you undo it?? I'm installing a fresh copy tonight and want to get everything up and running.
You just deactivate the Supplement mods (h.sie's and Stiebler's) with JSGME to remove them. Then add whatever additional mods you wish, again using JSGME. Then check to see that the folders you have to modify (menu.txt and campaign_SCR.mis for h.sie, plus command.cfg and menu_1024_786.ini for Stiebler) have not been changed by the new mods. JSGME will tell you that, in the !BACKUP! folder. Edit any of those folder that you need to, put them into the supplement folders, and reactivate the supplement mods.

The patchers are not as simple to use as a conventional mod that just has data files you copy in with JSGME. They require some work and care. And if the setup they require exceeds your comfort level, you might want to pass them up for now. Don't rush! And make sure you back up every file you have to edit before you make any changes. (I have this folder named A Safe Place.... ) But h.sie's patcher makes 23 significant improvements, and Stiebler adds 12 more. All of them are worth having IMO.

Good luck. Please post and let us know how the installation goes.
Old 08-16-14, 05:55 PM   #6
fastfed
Grey Wolf

thanks!! last quesiton, I saw in the workshop someone has a 1920x1080 thing going. Is that working? and how would it it work with these hard coded things?

thanks, starting now
Old 08-16-14, 06:02 PM   #7
fastfed
Grey Wolf

should I go with German language ?? or is english ok? I know some mods required german
Old 08-16-14, 06:56 PM   #8
BigWalleye
Sea Lord

Quote:
thanks!! last quesiton, I saw in the workshop someone has a 1920x1080 thing going. Is that working? and how would it it work with these hard coded things?

thanks, starting now
Van1920x1080 is out and works fine. It works with NYGM and Hitman's GUI exclusively, which is fine with me.

Like any other mod, activate it before the patcher supplements. Edit the necessary files according to the instructions. Patch your sh3.exe. Then activate the patcher supplement folders. That's it. There are step-by-step instructions included with the patchers. Any questions, come back here before you start.

AFAIK, there are no mods that require German (except, of course, those that include only German speech files, like Skire-Tikigod's Repeated Orders.). My own preference is German for crew speech, English for text, and English for me. (I play using voice command, SH3Speech by Eric Knoepfler. SH3Speech also accepts German voice input.)
Old 08-16-14, 08:00 PM   #9
fastfed
Grey Wolf

It's like an adult version of an easter egg hunt..
50 bucks if someone can show the the Hitman optics mod..

I found the GUI_NYGM3, but not the optics, lol
Old 08-16-14, 08:23 PM   #10
fastfed
Grey Wolf

so far my mods are looking like this

next on the list is Manos environment, FM interior, then the hard coded ones.

Is that the right order?
Old 08-16-14, 08:40 PM   #11
fastfed
Grey Wolf

lmfao! and it starts

installed the Manos environment mod 4.3,tested and workd, then the interior mod, now a CTD when trying to start a mission with a type VII

well I now Installed the FM interiors before the manos.

now its time to try this hard coded thingy

here is my latest mod list

Old 08-16-14, 09:01 PM   #12
fastfed
Grey Wolf

I was so close, I thought I might have gotten lucky, I installed my last mod that I wanted, the 1920x1080. and holy crap! The initial menu screen looked awesome, quickly chose a single mission for testing reasons as i've been doing this whole time and..

CTD!!

I guess im done for the night, im at a loss of how to fix this. I look at other people's lists and they all show similar sequences of mods.

Old 08-16-14, 09:26 PM   #13
fastfed
Grey Wolf

Well I thought it was the interior mod that is giving errors. I can use the type 9 and 2 boats easy.. Then I did the type 7 C and it worked, although it seems to be conflicting in a way, because dynamic view doesnt work anymore.

either way it looks AWESOME! I was excited to get started on a career, but then I tried the Type 7 B version.. Sure enough, CTD

so.. I will wait until one of you smarties lets me know where Im going wrong.

also, in the scopes, I notice the hand from the stopwatch is showing, lol

you guys remember that 4gb patch thing?? thats not needed now is it? because i didn't do it
Old 08-16-14, 09:29 PM   #14
fastfed
Grey Wolf

I'll paypal someone 10 bucks to use join.me and log into my pc and walk me through some of these issues And installing the new v16b1
Old 08-16-14, 09:38 PM   #15
BigWalleye
Sea Lord

Quote:
Well I thought it was the interior mod that is giving errors. I can use the type 9 and 2 boats easy.. Then I did the type 7 C and it worked, although it seems to be conflicting in a way, because dynamic view doesnt work anymore.

either way it looks AWESOME! I was excited to get started on a career, but then I tried the Type 7 B version.. Sure enough, CTD

so.. I will wait until one of you smarties lets me know where Im going wrong.

also, in the scopes, I notice the hand from the stopwatch is showing, lol

you guys remember that 4gb patch thing?? thats not needed now is it? because i didn't do it
First, you don't need MEP1 and MEP2. You need MEP4.2, then MEP4.2 Visual Sensors, then MEP4.2 to 4.3. Get rid of the old stuff.

Second you DO need the 4GB Fix. Absolutely. Win8 knows all about 4GB address space. But ole SH3 doesn't. The 4GB Fix is how you extend SH3's address space to use a full 4GB (assuming you have 4GB). Without it, memory-heavy mods like FM NewInteriors will choke your machine. Can even cause CTDs on loading.

If I may suggest this mod order:

NYGM Tonnage War V2.5 – Stand Alone Version
NYGM3_New
NYGM3_6D
NYGM HiRes Submarines
IABLShipsforNYGM_New
FM_NewInterior v2.1D
M.E.P v4.2
M.E.P v4.2 - VisualSensors for NYGM 3.6b
M.E.P v4.2 to v4.3
Hitman_GUI_NYGM3_1.1
Van1920x1080 v1.1
Supplement to V16B1 - NYGM
Stiebler4B_Addon_for_V16B1 - NYGM
O2-Gauges v2

And yes, there is a problem with the stopwatch in vanjast's mod. IIRC the other stopwatches are visually OK, but don't work. AFAIK, that's the only error in his mod. It's an easy fix. I'll get it to you tomorrow.

Last edited by BigWalleye; 08-16-14 at 09:50 PM.