SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-05-14, 02:22 PM   #421
Kip Chiakopf
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 259
Uploads: 0

One thing I have noticed is that certain Mods seem not to work with 7. For example, water streams and exhaust. I'm not convinced that I'm not doing something wrong, but it may be the case.
Kip Chiakopf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-14, 07:04 PM   #422
ValoWay
Lieutenant

Downloads: 103

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValoWay View Post
i got the steam version of SH3 with GWX3. Problem is that I've to set my resolution on desktop everytime to 1024x768 to force the game to start.

I was trying the "Silent Hunter Resolution Fix 1.4b" fix (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=1092) but it didnt work out for me. Is this fix even working with WiN7 64 Home Premium?

What can I do to start the game without lowering my desktop resolution ? My native is 1280x1024, btw...
I should add that as long as my native resolution is indeed 1024x786 the game starts and also works with the "Silent Hunter Resolution Fix 1.4b" fix.
But the fix apparently only changes the resolution ingame, means i still have to start from a 1024x786 desktop and messed up shortcuts...

I doubt that everyone starting the game with a native resolution of 1024x786, maybe it's only a problem for steam users...

UPDATE:
It's working now the way I want it to. One random mod must have fixed the issue for me I guess....

Last edited by ValoWay; 03-07-14 at 02:09 AM.
ValoWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-14, 05:02 PM   #423
zues1313
Nub

Downloads: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrsubron7 View Post
I'm having similar problems to the people above. Just installed SHIII on my computer which is running Win 7 Ultimate (64-bit). The native resolution of my monitor is 1900x1200 at 60 Hertz. The game will run if I switch to 1024x768, but I prefer to run at my native resolution. Any solution to this problem?
Been reading the threads and it helps alot! Thanks
zues1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-14, 02:23 PM   #424
kellnekem
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 2
Default Using qres to change resolution automatically

Although SH3 runs fine in higher resolutions like 1920x1080, for some people (including me) the game only starts when desktop resolution is 1024x768.

I have a simple workaround for that:
Get qres from here.
Qres can change resolution, color depth etc. from command line.

Create a batch file which change desktop reslolution to 1024x768 before running the game and changes back after you exit game.
My file (sh3.bat) contains this:

Code:
qres.exe /x:1024 /y:768 /c:32 /r:60
sh3.exe
qres.exe /x:1920 /y:1080 /c:32 /r:60
Edit parameters in the third line according to your desktop resolution.

Good hunting.
kellnekem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-14, 05:02 PM   #425
Deputy
Chief

Downloads: 124

Dang it! Didn't see this thread until just now.
Mods please remove my post in the General area.

Okay, I have Win 7 64-bit. I have installed a clean install of SH3 and also installed the 1.4b patch. I downloaded the StarForce removal tool and it says StarForce isn't on my comp. No idea if that is true or not. At any rate, I get this message:

"Error - This application can be launched with a release version of Microsoft Windows 95/OSR2.1/98/ME/NT 4.0/2000/XP/Server 2003 only."

I tried changing the resolution, but that does nothing. I get the same message. I tried changing to EVERY Windopws compatibility setting but it isn't fooling the error message. Same thing comes up. I even installed Direct X 9 thinking maybe something was missing from there. No help.

So what is the magic that has to be done to get SH3 to run on Win 7 64-bit. Or is it not ever gonna happen?

Dep
Deputy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-14, 05:41 PM   #426
Deputy
Chief

Downloads: 124

My apologies. I missed the post by hienz1. I am now back in command of U-Boats in SH3.

Thank you Hienz!!!!
Deputy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-14, 04:07 PM   #427
Cobalt09
Swabbie

Downloads: 24

Apologies if this has already been asked or answered, but I haven't found anything on it.

I've gotten the steam version of SH3 and installed the GWX mod, and I've been confronted with a problem: my left mouse button doesn't seem to work very often in-game. It seems like it gets worse the longer the game is up, and last time I nearly couldn't exit because it would not register my clicks. Also, it would then not stop clicking once I exited the game, and I had to force log off just to get it to stop left mouse clicking.

I know this seems really weird, but does anybody have any ideas of what this could be?
Cobalt09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-14, 05:03 AM   #428
scott_c2911
Engineer

Downloads: 71

If its happening out of the game too its a faulty mouse. The button is sticking. Try a different mouse. If you use a wireless mouse then try changing the battery. Apart from that I would reinstall the mouse driver if its not plug n play. I dont have any other explanation for it maybe someone else can add to that
Old 06-12-14, 03:25 PM   #429
Cobalt09
Swabbie

Downloads: 24

Oddly enough, I found my answer. Apparently windows automatic updates was bugging my computer just too much and told my mouse to stop working because it wanted to update. I guess the computer fought back, but windows decided enough was enough and made me get sick of the rampant clicking errors. So, I restarted it and all was fine. First time I've had it happen, but it's all been smooth sailing since.

EDIT: I'm an idiot. All this time I've been looking for something to blame, and since the updates were bothering me, and the subsequent shut down fixed it, I thought it was fixed. However, I was massively wrong, and earlier it dawned on me that some time ago I downloaded an autoclicker, which happened to have a hotkey of F9. When I went to hit F9 in a search for different things, it would activate the autoclicker and drive me nuts. Whoops, it seems like the fact that we all make mistakes is too true here.

Last edited by Cobalt09; 06-12-14 at 06:22 PM.
Cobalt09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-14, 07:42 AM   #430
EZ
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 3

Awesomeness... Thanks Hienz1!
EZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-14, 02:28 PM   #431
hugh97
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 0

I've searched a number of sources and have yet to find anyone describe this problem. I have SH3 purchased off Steam and have added no mods. When I run the game everything is fine until you start a campaign or mission. You can even choose your crew and boat modifications in a campaign. You go to the control room screen and everything is still rosy. However, as soon as you go to the bridge or periscope the graphics become extremely blurry and remain that way throughout any other screen. I'm running Win7 64 Home premium with Athlon II X4 645 3.1 GHz, 4 GB RAM,NVIDIA GeForce 6150 SE / nForce 430. I know the graphics on this aren't great but they run many far more recent games without a problem. I've made sure desktop resolution is set to the games max and I am running in XP compatibility mode.
hugh97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-14, 08:30 AM   #432
walter_solito
Watch

Downloads: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by hienz1 View Post
* UPDATE ** UPDATE ** UPDATE ** UPDATE ** UPDATE *

I GOT IT TO WORK in Win 7. FINALLY !!!
Here's how:

1. Do NOT install the game (yet). If you have installed it, UN-INSTALL the game completely.

2. Download the following files to a TEMP folder or your desktop, so it'll be easier to find them, AND for other reasons later on, such as - C:\TEMP\Downloads\SH3\

A. 1.4b patch - http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...do=file&id=158
B. No DVD patch - rld-sh14.rar - (scroll down to where it says "Silent Hunter 3 v1.4b [ENGLISH] No-DVD/Fixed EXE", click on the floppy disc icon.)
C. SH3_XPSP2_Res_Fix_for_1.4b - http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=1092
D. 4GB_Patch_Reloaded - http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=2888

3. Unpack, unzip, extract these files ONLY TO a TEMP file, such as - C:\TEMP\Games\SH3, so that you will ONLY need to do a Copy-Paste of the required files just in case there's an install issue.

4. Install SH3. DO NOT install to the default directory C:\programs(x86)\Ubisoft\SilentHunteriii.
For some odd reason, the game crashes if it is installed there. Windoze UAC is a useless "feature" that just treats the user like an idiot leper. Instead, install the game at the ROOT of your hard drive, such as - C:\SH3

5. DO NOT install the game's update system.
Do NOT install the directx version that came with the disk.
Do NOT attempt playing the game.
Don't argue with me. Shut-up & do what you're told.
** If, by chance you have an older version of the game that includes Starforce, you will need to download the following file (to a TEMP directory) - http://onlinesecurity-on.com/downloads/sfcdrvrem.zip -
and install it to remove the insulting BS the game came with.

6. Install the 1.4b patch (exe). Make sure you install the correct patch - for US DVD's use the US DVD patch. Do NOT use the european patch for the US DVD. The same for the EU DVD, use the EU patch.

7. Install the "No DVD Patch" by doing a Copy-Paste from the temp folder to the game folder C:\SH3\. This will replace the following 5 files: sh3.exe, MissionEngine.dll, SimData.dll, StateMachine.dll, Utils.dll

8. Install the "SH3_XPSP2_Res_Fix_for_1.4b" by doing a Copy-Paste from the temp folder to the game folder C:\SH3\. This will add the following 5 files: d3d9.cfg, d3d9.dll, SHIII.sdb, SP2 Rez fix.bat, SP2 Rez fix uninstall.bat

9. Install the "4GB_Patch_Reloaded" (exe).

10. Go to the game directory C:\SH3\ (or whatever you called it). Execute the batch file "SP2 Rez fix.bat".

11. Start the game. If it starts and works fully, congrats. don't bother with the next steps.
----------

12. If it refuses to start and/or crashes, then you may need to do a bit of hacking to the "Main.cfg" file such as located here - C:\SH3\data\Cfg\ - Open the file by right-clicking on the file, select "Edit", and it will open in Notepad. In there you need to find the following:

Make sure it has "Resolution=1024 x 768" in there. Save file as "Main.cfg", NOT as a text file. If by chance your 'puter won't let you save it (no worries - just don't close it yet), right-click on the file (using windows explorer), choose "Properties", goto the "Security" tab, and then click the "Edit" button, a pop-up window will open called "Permissions for Main", click on "users" in the security tab, then under "Permissions for Users" click on the check box "Full Control". Click OK, then OK again, THEN save the "Main.cfg" file. Welcome to windoze (what can I say).

13. Next you will need to do a bit more hacking by going to the main game directory, such as C:\SH3\, and right-click on the file "d3d9.cfg" choose edit, and then look for the following:

Make sure it has resX=1024, resY=768 . Then save the file as "d3d9.cfg" not as a text file. If it won't let you save it, remember what you did to that other file (in step 12)? Do that.

13. Then start the game AGAIN. It should work. If by chance it STILL doesn't work, then I'm a moron.

-30-

Thanks again Hienz for the tips!

This morning I got SH III working on my netpc (Packard Bell Imax Mini 3600 Atom@1,6 - ION - W7) in a vanilla 1.4b flanked with a GWX 3.0 with full screen vision on my 28" video (is the standard 1024x768 resolution but at least I got it in full screen instead of a black barred one)

At first the game don't run the 3d engine , so I had to switch monitor rex to 1600x1200 because the game need a 4:3 screen resolution to initialize the 3d.

After the game load the intros and the loading screen but after loading stops to work....

....every settings of compatibility and resolution don't solve the CTD....

So I let the XP sp2 compatibility and administrator privilege but enabled to all users the full control (in the advanced settings) and the game start to run flawless!

Now I'm enjoying SHIII+GWX 3.0 in my 28" screen!

I must to understand how add SHC 3.2 and the game is done!
walter_solito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-14, 03:07 PM   #433
keithterrill
Watch

Downloads: 14
Default Not keeping game settings...

I installed SH4, pacific, golden on my Windows 7.

I set the graphics, etc. and all works.

Well, except for one small thing. If I change the game setting realism, and save it. The next time I start the game it has been reset to the original low setting.

I switched this to XP compatible and still the same problem.

I can play the game.... I just have to use it in the easy low realizes.

Any thoughts?

Keith
keithterrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-14, 03:19 PM   #434
walter_solito
Watch

Downloads: 19

Right click on the SH icon , go on properties , open secuirty window , click on modify and enable for all users (one each time) complete control then save....
walter_solito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-14, 11:13 PM   #435
keithterrill
Watch

Downloads: 14
Default perhaps i am missing something...

Quote:
Originally Posted by walter_solito View Post
Right click on the SH icon , go on properties , open secuirty window , click on modify and enable for all users (one each time) complete control then save....
I changed the permission properties, and I changed it for all files in the SH4 folder. Still did not do what I wanted.

Perhaps, I am missing something. I want to set some of the realism switches on and then run a career. I choose easy because I am just starting out...

So, does the difficulty setting override and rewrite my game settings? I have tried setting to difficult etc but it continues to play and show afterwards as a very low easy level.

However, if I go into the game settings, apply the changes, and then exit to windows. Go back in and look at the settings they are still as I had set them. Only after I have run a mission does the game settings reset to all off.

Ubisoft support told me the problem was that I am running on Windows 7 and suggest I should be in Vista.... never in a million years will I run Vista.
keithterrill is offline   Reply With Quote