SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-21-14, 11:01 AM   #1
Von Tonner
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 44
Uploads: 0
Default Mein Gott

I gotta say I was beginning to think this would be the embarrassment to end all embarrassments. Never ever have I in all the years being playing this game EVER returned to port with my original load of torps. I know it happened many times INRL but even then it must have been absolutely demoralising for the crew.

Posted out of Lorient (GWX) I was given the grid DR33, its a fair stretch from Lorient and yes, I will admit I spent a good time on the surface burning fuel and did turn my nose up at a schooner (though it could have been neutral - it was night and black as the ace of the spades) but arrived at my post and all I can say is there was ZILCH!!!! Absolutely nothing. My crew donned Hawiaan shirts and we toured the Casablanca-New York route until our fuel reached critical.

But, this has a good ending. Crawling to our only port of survival, Corrientes , I did encounter a medium cargo and was at least able to ask for a replenishment of torpedoes in addition to fuel!!!!
Von Tonner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-14, 12:57 PM   #2
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

I'm sure you'll get advice on everybody's favorite hunting spot, so I won't do that, especially since I don't have any. I like to treat my orders historically and stay in my assigned grid for at least two weeks, the request a new grid by rolling a die. needless to say I've had more than a few empty patrols. It makes up for the inordinately huge amount of tonnage I read about other players having.
Old 08-21-14, 02:32 PM   #3
vanjast
Sea Lord

Downloads: 783
Uploads: 4

I suppose Onkel Karl pushed his boats around the Atlantic bath tub, and the Kaleuns had to obey.

Me.. I'm the most dis-obedient Kaleun of all, will chase anything that floats.
In the past I actually would get to my patrol grid with no torps, hang around, doodling for 24 hours, then go home.

Or if I get to my grid with no contacts, do the 24 hours thing then buzz off somewhere else, where the 'fishing's better'.

I never contact Onkel. Leaving the base would be the last time he sees or hears from me, until I return. He gets very miffed with me, but I 'produce the goods'.. so he grins and bears it.

I'm sure he'd like to fire me
vanjast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-14, 06:09 PM   #4
UKönig
Captain

Downloads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanjast View Post
I suppose Onkel Karl pushed his boats around the Atlantic bath tub, and the Kaleuns had to obey.

Me.. I'm the most dis-obedient Kaleun of all, will chase anything that floats.
In the past I actually would get to my patrol grid with no torps, hang around, doodling for 24 hours, then go home.

Or if I get to my grid with no contacts, do the 24 hours thing then buzz off somewhere else, where the 'fishing's better'.

I never contact Onkel. Leaving the base would be the last time he sees or hears from me, until I return. He gets very miffed with me, but I 'produce the goods'.. so he grins and bears it.

I'm sure he'd like to fire me
Ha! I am exactly the same way.
They'll hear about my exploits when I get back. If I don't get back, I probably would not have wanted to anyway. And if BdU gets miffed, I'll just claim that the radio wasn't working, who's not going to believe that?
Old 08-31-14, 01:27 PM   #5
scott_c2911
Engineer

Downloads: 71

I practise complete radio silence from 1941 onwards. Im fairly certain sending any status or contact reports results in enemy asw units being spawned in the area. Also the status reports reply is always blank and contact reports rarely if ever bring reinforcements so Ive never felt the need. Enigma was busted and even if it wasn't at the time they were also using radio direction finding equipment. I am a completely independent Captain normally ignoring grid assignments and cruising the likely areas.
Old 09-04-14, 08:43 AM   #6
desirableroasted
Grey Wolf

Location: In the mountains, now. On the edge of the sea before.
Downloads: 47

Like Sailor Steve, I go out to my grid as ordered. I will deviate if BdU sends me a contact report that does not make me go materially out of my way.

I stay on station 14 days, though my search grids do lop over into other grids. So I am doing my grid and the deep edges of the surrounding ones.

At 14 days, I roll dice. 1-2-3, return to base, though with opportunistic deviations (a convoy report not far off course, etc).

4-5 Stay on station another 14 days, with a roll of dice at the end.

6 Free agent for 30 days, with a roll of dice at end.

It can make for a string of boring patrols (as in real life) but a lot of excitement when BdU suddenly cuts me loose!
Old 09-04-14, 12:27 PM   #7
Zosimus
XO

Downloads: 3

I proceed as slowly as possible to my designated grid, normally submerged at ahead slow. The only thing that makes me deviate from this practice is visibility unlimited, in which case I go on the surface at ahead one third. I keep an eye on the CO[sub]2[/sub] level and when it hits 2 I go to the surface for a breath of air and go back down again.

I investigate all hydrophone contacts (except warships) on my way and follow up on most contact reports. Once I get to my grid I do an X pattern submerged ahead slow and follow up on any contacts I get, even if it means I have to leave the grid.

Once that's done, and assuming I still have torpedoes left, I head for a square off of Wales. I think it's BF14, as I've found the hunting to be good there. Once I'm out of torpedoes, I head back to base at full speed, fuel permitting.
Zosimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-14, 03:29 AM   #8
banryu79
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 82
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zosimus View Post
I proceed as slowly as possible to my designated grid, normally submerged at ahead slow.
Very interesting... I'm curious about why you do this the way you do it... Are you playing in a year when the enemy has got radar?
I'm asking it 'cause I'm still in the '40 and I have still to experience later years.
banryu79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-14, 03:51 PM   #9
Zosimus
XO

Downloads: 3

In my experience, hydrophone lets me detect enemies at much greater distances than visual. Hydrophone contacts can be easily picked up at 20-25 km whereas visual contact normally only gets me 9km at best. Manually taking the hydrophone over can get you something out to perhaps 35-40 km.

No, I have no radar searching for me. I'm just in no hurry to get to my destination. I'd rather sink what I find on the way.
Zosimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-14, 04:52 PM   #10
Tigershark624
A-ganger

Downloads: 134

My usual practice is to cruise to my assigned patrol grid at 9 knots, deviating only for reachable contact reports or targets of opportunity I encounter along the way. Once on station I'll patrol for at least 24 hours, depending on the amount of traffic. If there's no action I'll head off to a more favorable location.
Tigershark624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-14, 10:54 AM   #11
GJO
Planesman

Downloads: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigershark624 View Post
My usual practice is to cruise to my assigned patrol grid at 9 knots, deviating only for reachable contact reports or targets of opportunity I encounter along the way. Once on station I'll patrol for at least 24 hours, depending on the amount of traffic. If there's no action I'll head off to a more favorable location.
That is more or less what I do - keeping to an economical speed on the way out and only chasing those contacts that can be reached within a few hours sailing - that rules out 'medium' and 'fast' travelling vessels that are going away from me.
GJO is offline   Reply With Quote