Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-01-10, 07:52 PM   #1
Krauter
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 102
Uploads: 1
Default Operation Drumbeat?

How do i gain access to this? I got all but the last 2 stars inthe Western Approaches Campaign so I thought I'd be able to gain access to theAmerican East Coast..

Norway and the Artic Convoys really sucks so if Anyone can Point me in the right direction
Old 08-01-10, 07:18 AM   #2
IDK399
Watch

Downloads: 47
Uploads: 0

I'm a few months late, but just completed all the stars of the "western approaches". Its September 41.

Q: Whats the start date for Operation Drumbeat (in game). or did I miss a trigger somewhere.

Tried ending patrols and skipping 2 weeks at a time, the 18th came and went, till December 28, no new missions, no Drumbeat.
IDK399 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-10, 02:37 AM   #3
Zedi
Sea Lord

Downloads: 184
Uploads: 2

I also lost op. DB just because of the most annoying mission in the game, Winston's special from the WA campaign. There is a mod that lets you select different campaign, but it's pretty buggy.. in whole op DB got an arctic timezone, in Florida I saw the sun only for 30 min.

Maybe the best option is to play with the Lite campaign mod, that filters out these stupid requirements from the campaigns.
Zedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-10, 03:30 AM   #4
IDK399
Watch

... Already cut down the requirements (Lite Campaign 1.2) + a few other selected mods. I was lucky enough to come across this site and others long before I got this game. This is my first sim ever for me, never knew that SH1-4 even existed. So even after reading about most negatives of SH5.... I still wanted it badly.

"HappyCunic" on another thread helped with Winston's Special, by camping at Cape Town.

Q: Since all missions of Western Approaches have a deadline of Dec 1st, I assumed that date would be the trigger, or am I wrong?

All the requirements except the "Cruiser Sweepers" is done. All the crosses are filled (top left), so I assume its a total victory, but I'm still running around on the 28th dec
Old 08-02-10, 06:40 AM   #5
IDK399
Watch

Done it... All missions must be complete. Even though all the crosses were full, I still hadn't finished "Cruiser Sweepers". The moment I sank the second Cruiser it trigger the campaign select screen.

Now.... I have to figure out which to risk my sanity on, "Arctic convoys" or "Drum Beat".
Old 08-02-10, 06:44 AM   #6
Zedi
Sea Lord

Downloads: 184
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDK399 View Post
"HappyCunic" on another thread helped with Winston's Special, by camping at Cape Town.
I did that and I got 3 from 4. The epic stupidity in this mission is to patrol a line starting from GB down to SA. If Donitz would be that mad to order me such a mission, I would tend to piracy and leave the war in God's hand. I'm on the waters to help the war, not to play mouse &cat.
Zedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-10, 06:56 AM   #7
IDK399
Watch

Its a shame this game got released in this state. I wonder if the devs even played it through at any level. I feel like ranting on... but all have been said before. The mods helped greatly. I had all my mods selected and ready months before I actually got hold of the game... that says a lot.
Old 08-02-10, 10:11 AM   #8
Faamecanic
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 44

And THIS is the reason why I say SH5 does NOT have a dynamic campaign.

I wonder how many Uboat captains that were actually deployed to Operation Drumbeat sank (5 AMC ships and a Carrier, and a battleship and.......).
Faamecanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-10, 10:37 AM   #9
IDK399
Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faamecanic View Post
And THIS is the reason why I say SH5 does NOT have a dynamic campaign.

I wonder how many Uboat captains that were actually deployed to Operation Drumbeat sank (5 AMC ships and a Carrier, and a battleship and.......).
In one outing....

It feels like the game was done by a committee in a board room, where everyone got his way... but the total sum wasn't that great.