Click here to access the Helosim website
SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

BUYING GAMES, BOOKS, ELECTRONICS, and STUFF
THROUGH THIS LINK SUPPORTS SUBSIM, THANKS!

The Web's #1 BBS for all submarine and naval simulations!

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Helosim.com and Flight Sims

Old 10-07-08, 07:08 PM   #1
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Default Coast Guard

This is one package that tries to squeeze some usability out of the FS9's helicopter model. Unfortunately, FS since a long time is not any strong and shining concerning helicopters.

However, the package allows reasonable operation if autopilot modes are used, and the realism sliders get adjusted as they recommend. However, there are two major cutbacks, first, in autohover the helicopter tends to move backwards, and longitudinal and lateral speed autocontrol modes tend to produce unwelcomed effects that make precise hovering or landing on the shipdeck extremely difficult and work probably not as it is intended, and second the virtual cockpit is way too dark and the lines on the displaying of lines and needles on the glass displays is so filigrane ans small (at 1280x1024) that they are impossible to read without massively zooming in or using the 2D zoom screens, which work fine at the cost of blocking your vision.

the package comes with just one type of new USCG security cutter, that I unfortunately forgot to shoot pictures of. It is less detailed than the Boxer-class helicopter carrier in the earlier Jayhawk Boxer package by aerosoft, that is said to have suffered severly from low frames. that is compensated by a tool that allows you to place as many cutters you want in whatever a location at sea that you desire, also sinking yachts you can place and use for navigation, target and rescuing missions.

Overall an interesting package that is not flawless, and would have needed more finetuning, especially the dark VC and the ill-behaving AP would have needed some polishing. the model of the Jayhawk however looks fantastic. Even folding of rotor and tail is animated.

I must say the colour scheme of the US Coast Guard looks extremely sexy! I love it.

Old 10-08-08, 05:20 PM   #2
Skybird
Soaring

For the sake of completeness:

Old 10-08-08, 07:07 PM   #3
CCIP
Navy Seal

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 2

Excellent shots!

Looks like a real prime package, shame I don't have my FS-capable PC with me anymore...

I've never quite found a good helicopter for FS. I definitely understand what you mean with the helicopter modeling in the game....

There are only forty people in the world and five of them are hamburgers.
-Don Van Vliet
(aka Captain Beefheart)
CCIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-08, 05:15 AM   #4
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCIP
Looks like a real prime package,
I must stress again that it has it'S flaws. The VC really is too dark and the indicators to difficult to be read. The VC at night is almost unusable, although everything glows in atmospheric green- just way too dark. Also, the AP has problems with hover-hold and precise adjustements at small speed.

for reduced price (FS2004!) it was okay a package - if I would have payed 40 euros for it, I would have been very angry. Nevertheless Boxter and Coast Guard are the most sold helicopter package for FS so far.

There is a new FS-X version which features both the older Boxer-package and Coast Guard in one deal, and has the more complex carrier, plus five other ships and several versions of the xyz-hawk.

http://www.aerosoft2.de/videos/Jayhawk_Seahawk.wmv

Last edited by Skybird; 10-09-08 at 06:03 AM.
Skybird is online   Reply With Quote