SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-23-18, 03:00 PM   #6601
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADLOU View Post
I installed the game and mod started a new patrol in Dec 1941 in a Gar. The sonar man does not detect any ships even when I was attacking three of them and I can not work the sonar array at all. I totally uninstalled and reinstalled the game and mod and got the same result.

Any help on this? Thanks
There could lots of things. First of all, were you submerged? The "S" and "V" boats (Narwhal & Nautilus), plus first-run Porpoise had their sonar heads on the deck, so the boats had to be submerged to be able to use them early in the war. So, which boat do you have? 2nd of all, which version of the game, and where do you have it installed? 3rd, is LAA 'True' on the SH4.exe file?

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-18, 04:00 PM   #6602
MADLOU
Gunner

Downloads: 1208
Uploads: 0

Thanks for the super quick reply.

I had a Gar boat both times. I was submerged. It was installed on my SSD under the name Silent Hunter 4 (not program files), the version is SH 4 1.5 FOTRS Ultimate. How do I check the LAA "True" status on the sh4.exe?
MADLOU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-18, 04:57 PM   #6603
propbeanie

In the root folder for the game, there is a "Large Address Aware2_0_4.exe" that you can run. It will start in Basic Mode. Click the ellipse button [...] for Step 1, and select "sh4.exe" and click on "Open", which will put its path in the Step 1 box. Then put a tick mark in the Step 2 box with a mouse-click. Click "Save" in Step 3. If the tick mark is already set in Step 2, it's good to go.

Now, there is an issue with the sonar station in SH4, and I do not recall when CapnScurvy fixed that in FotRSU. Other things that can contribute to issues like that, are using old Save data from previous mods or Stock game play, which can cross-contaminate the game. Also, mixing mods not compatible with FotRSU.

Old 09-23-18, 05:14 PM   #6604
MADLOU
Gunner

Thanks! Ill check out your suggestions.
Old 09-23-18, 10:06 PM   #6605
MADLOU
Gunner

I followed the LAA procedure but that had no effect. I then reinstalled the game and mod a second time making sure I totally uninstalled all remnants of past saved games or versions. AND IT WORKED!!

Thanks again for your help
Old 09-23-18, 11:41 PM   #6606
Cybermat47
Willing Webfooted Beast

Downloads: 293
Uploads: 22

Some glitches I’ve noticed:
  • At high time compression (I use 1024 max) the submarine will stop moving without an all stop being ordered. Lowering the time compression will usually get the sub moving, but sometimes it’s permanently stuck, ending the entire career due to being stuck forever.
  • Enemy merchant ships sometimes seem to sink by themselves, in areas without Allied air cover or naval presence.
  • Gauges and the hydrophone dial 3D models inside the submarine are sometimes constantly frozen in careers.

Last edited by Cybermat47; 09-24-18 at 03:55 AM.
Cybermat47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-18, 07:42 AM   #6607
propbeanie

Glad you're going MADLOU!

@ Cybermat47: as for #1 on your list, we've not had reports of this. Can you more thoroughly describe the circumstances? Of interest would be the boat(s) used, dates, locations, etc., along with whether you're using a Saved game, and if so, if you saved the replay video with it. You mention not going over 1024x TC. Is that an edit you did, or you just don't go over 1024x? Any other mods? Any enemy traffic nearby? Is the crew at Battle Stations? If so, for how long? Are you submerged? What's the CO2 level? Is the boat fully staffed, or do you have empty stations? All sorts of questions...

As for #2, there has always been issues with finding a balance in the game with sea-state and sea-worthiness. However, FotRSU is for the most part balanced toward the 'safe' side. However, seemingly unprovoked sinkings can still happen. 'Bad' spawns for any number of reasons can also affect this. As with #1, more detail is desired, because we want to try to track this down. As info, the next version has further edits in this regard.

For #3, I'm not near my computer and can't check v0.71, but the frozen gauge issue has been dealt a death blow. The issue lay in my use of a Type=200 S-Boat as an AI boat in several files, which conflicts with the player's sub, no matter which class is used. Remove the Type 200 AI boats, and the issue goes away. Next version has that edit, and is no longer an issue...

Old 09-24-18, 07:28 PM   #6608
Cybermat47
Willing Webfooted Beast

Downloads: 293
Uploads: 22

In regards to #1, for the permanent freeze, it turns out that I had left battle stations on and had basically killed my entire crew with exhaustion, so no bug, just poor crew management on my part. Fortunately securing from battle stations bought them all back to life.

The temporary freezes at 1024x tc happened on the Rabaul-Truk convoy route at the entrance to the Bismarck Sea. I was in a Balao, and they happened in late June 1943. Reducing tc to 32x got the boat moving again, so it’s not too big an issue.

For #2, it is a pretty rare issue. It’s happened twice in the course of around five whole patrols, and only in the most recent one.

Glad to hear that #3 has been resolved already. Any idea when the next update could come out?
Old 09-24-18, 09:13 PM   #6609
drakkhen20
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 345

just a general question. starting a new campaign. where are the resupply bases or boats in this mod? or is there somewhere i can get a map or reading material for this ?

thanks,
drakkhen
drakkhen20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-18, 11:53 AM   #6610
propbeanie

@Cybermat47 - another thing I failed to mention about your #2 issue, is that in v0.71, another Allied air base was added near Port Moresby. Its 'roster' included B-24 bombers, which could reach Rabaul and Guadalcanal. This contributed to a plethora of airplanes buzzing about the Bismarck Sea area. Planes in SH4 are resource hogs, so the airplanes are (for the most part) the culprits - also "fixed" in this next version. We are very hopeful (knock on wood) that we are close. I don't know how many version numbers we ate up building this, but we'll see shortly...

@drakkhen20 - where, and how many resupply bases there are, depends upon the date. At the start, we've only got Cavite (Manila), Pearl & Midway, which really wasn't a sub base. Fremantle & Darwin would be considered 'resupply' locations. Cavite began evacuating to Darwin and Surabaya on December 10, 1941, and abandoned by New Years. After mid-February of 1942, Darwin was abandoned due to close proximity to Japanese air bases, and by the end of the month, Surabaya is evacuated, leaving only 3 locations, of which Fremantle became a sub base. "Fuel Economy" were the watch words of the day then. As advances were made from mid-43 into 44, you'll see a few more bases open that are capable of re-fit & re-supply, but not many. All of these locations are marked on the NavMap with an "anchor" emblem, available and viewable on any sub on patrol with <F5>. By the time mid-44 and into 45 rolls around, you'll have most of what will be available (10??). At all times though, a re-supply location will be an 'upright' anchor, while your "Home Port" will be designated with a slanted anchor.

Old 10-01-18, 02:30 PM   #6611
jldjs
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default Guam harbor defective ship spawns

Patrolled (version .71) to north of Truk early '43 from Midway( patrol Carolinas search and destroy mission). Proceeded to Guam Jan 14 '43 and viewed harbor with external camera and see this;

ANyone else report this crazy ship spawning?
Old 10-01-18, 04:36 PM   #6612
propbeanie

Hopefully, that issue has been dealt with... You've got what? five spawns there?... What I found was that a few of the layers had 19380101 begin dates, and a few had 19410101, so it does ~not~ help if you have three layers going at once, and a couple of them have other issues causing multiple spawns... Thanks for the report though!

Old 10-03-18, 12:34 PM   #6613
MANoWAR.U52
Loader

Downloads: 97

So FOTRS is now the most definitive version of SH4 right?
MANoWAR.U52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-18, 01:23 PM   #6614
jldjs
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

"most definitive version" ?
IMHP, the best version available, and continuing to be improved!
Old 10-03-18, 02:45 PM   #6615
propbeanie

... wait until you see this next version fellers... - We have to have a couple fellers vote for their choice on a certain aspect of the game, then have CapnScurvy bolt the intake manifold down, hand it off to Rockin Robbins for the Nitrous Oxide tanks to be filled, and a~way~ we GO!