SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-05-15, 02:38 AM   #1
Jazzy
Watch

Downloads: 16
Uploads: 0
Default Aiming places

Hi

Where is the best place aim to on a ship to sink it with torps or the deck gun on the surface. I know the chance of one torp will destroy a ship is very small but where is the place on a ship that has the best chance to do so?

For the deck gun, where is the best place to aim to sink it as quickly as possible and what shell type?

Thanks
Jazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-15, 03:37 AM   #2
Barkerov
Soundman

Downloads: 42

It will depend on the mods being used and the type of ship you are trying to sink but aiming for the engine room (below the funnel in the majority of cases) is always a good bet for a torpedo. For a small ship it is not unreasonable to expect a single torpedo to sink it. Others will know better than I where to aim though.

with the deck gun I always go for waterline shots and because I am using RFB I only use HE shells. The point here is to cause flooding along the length of the target. A good waterline shot should hit the water first and then the ship a very short time after. This will look like a splash followed by a flash on the target.
Barkerov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-15, 09:35 AM   #3
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

usually on most warships its where the first and last deck guns are located on deck is where the ammo storage is so that's the sweet spots to hit with torps.

I do the same for cargo ships and it works well but most important is if you fire more then one, make sure you aim for a different spot then the first one.

if you use auto targeting and hit the same spot over and over it doesn't impact as much damage as if you spread out the points of impact because you hit the same spot each time. that said its also important to fire torps close together because if you fire, wait for the result, then fire again, the game simulates damage control making repairs between hits so trying to only use just enough torps to do the job can cause a ship that would sink with two torps hitting in close succession to need 3 or maybe 4 torps to sink if fired separately one at a time and waiting to see the result.

as for firing deck gun aim for waterline to cause flooding as well as physical damage.
Old 10-05-15, 11:57 AM   #4
fireftr18
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 77

When I'm firing the deck gun, I'm usually more than 5,000 yards (4500m) out. That distance, it's difficult to get an accurate aim. I'm just happy to hit something.
With torpedoes, I usually fire four in a salvo, aimed for a different point on the ship. One of those points being near the funnel.
Old 10-05-15, 09:35 PM   #5
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 153
Uploads: 11

Usually, you want to fire a spread of torpedoes, because there are inevitable firing solution errors, and the torpedoes often malfunctioned. Many ships will sink with one good hit, however.

If you do launch only one torpedo, it should be at the middle of the target (MOT), since this allows for the greatest margin of error. For capitol ships, it was desirable to get as many hits as possible, and make the most of the (rare) opportunity.

If you use the RFB mod, shell hits are more effective at the waterline. The floodable zones are there.
TorpX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-15, 09:53 PM   #6
ColonelSandersLite
Captain

Downloads: 71
Uploads: 3

Here's what I usually do, ymmv:

1 Torpedo:

2 Torpedoes:

3 Torpedoes:

4 Torpedoes:

If I'm shooting more than 4 torpedoes, it's a wide spread to cover my bases in case I miss and it's a high value target. In other words, the spread is greater than the length of the ship. Usually, I plan to hit with 3 in that scenario. Against merchant shipping, when torpedoes are pretty reliable, I usually shoot 2 torpedoes per target. In the early war it's more like 3 for a small target and more for a large target.

Last edited by ColonelSandersLite; 10-05-15 at 09:58 PM.
ColonelSandersLite is offline   Reply With Quote