SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-18-18, 12:50 PM   #1
chazsi
A-ganger

Downloads: 54
Uploads: 0
Default Started installing mods - need help

So I got on the sticky for THEBERBSTERS all in one mod and I'm following the directions there.

Completed the download. Used JSGME to install them all in order.

Started game to see "how's it going."

Game won't finish loading. Stops about 5/6 of the loading bar completed and CNTRL+ALT+DEL doesn't even respond.

Requires hard reboot to escape it.

Using windows10 and had the game working fine before starting the mod path.

If you need more info to help me, I'll try to get it but I'm not REAL comp savy. ALSO I have SH4 installed clean (till this mod install) but NOT the SH4 WOTP U-boat missions.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by chazsi; 01-18-18 at 01:04 PM.
chazsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-18, 01:44 PM   #2
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Ratz... I was hoping to beat you to the punch...

See your other thread here:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...70#post2537170

I ask you which version of the game you have, and where you installed it. As reference, Windows does not like it when you mess with configuration files for programs installed in the "Program Files" or "Program Files (x86)" folders. If that's where your game is, and it's a DVDR disk version, you can just copy that install and paste it into a folder of your own making elsewhere on the computer.

The first thing to do is back-off all the mods you've applied with JSGME (de-activate them). Run your game and make sure you are fully back to a "Stock" install that works. If it does NOT work, then you'll want to un-install, and then re-install in a different directory. If the game works after getting the mods out of it, then Select the game folder and copy it. What I've done is left-click on the "Ubisoft" folder, press both the <Ctrl> and <C> keys at the same time, which copies the data, and then select the "root" of a dirve, whether it's C:\ or D:\ or whatever, and then press the <Ctrl> key again, and the <V> key, which will "Paste" the folder and its contents to the new location. You'll be copying over 4 gig of data, so be sure you have room for it. It will take a while to do that. Once that's done, you'll have to create yourself a shortcut to the SH4.exe, or use the "Run" dialog, or the "Search", or open the folders and double-click on the SH4.exe file to run the game. The game will find its setting in the registry, as far as licensing goes, and will use the DirectX v9c installed with the game install (you did install that also, didn't you?... ).

In the meantime, let us know one place or the other which version of the game you do have, because that will ultimately influence which mods you can or cannot use, and which steps to take next. Another little "reference" thingie: GFO (and hence, THEBERBSTER's mix of it) does not like v1.4 or earlier of the game, and will only run on the v1.5 with Uboats...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-18, 02:59 PM   #3
chazsi
A-ganger

Just replied to "our" other post. I will consider that one DEAD now and look for you and others here.

I'll try what you suggest. Thank you.

Red Devil, you can check that other post for my answers. Long story short, looks like I need to move the folder. I'll get back to you. Thanks again
Old 01-18-18, 03:05 PM   #4
chazsi
A-ganger

Second question, Red Devil. Should I install the "u-boot missions" first and then move the whole Ubisoft folder all together?
Old 01-18-18, 04:58 PM   #5
propbeanie

OK... Steam changes everything. The newer security on it and Windows makes it difficult to move with just a straight copy and paste, like the disk version can do. If you have no other games installed, then uninstalling and reinstalling Steam and Silent Hunter 4 is not a ~big~ deal, other than it does take forever and a day and a half...

Here's what you're dealing with:
Description of the Windows File Protection feature

Ever since Windows Vista came out, Windows has had this "feature", and I'm sure it's saved them an incoming call or two to tech support (they have ~tech~ support?!!???!!) It is part of User Access Control (UAC), and will rollback changes to certain files in the "protected" folders (there are several dozen of them).

If you have multiple hard drives, you'll want to log into Steam on your computer, not online, to "manage the Library". Here's a screenshot of mine, with all the little pop-ups open:

That come from the FotRSU mod thread, here:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...91#post2496891

I've also answered this more thoroughly in a few other posts (that I can't find, of course), and THEBERBSTER has it in a couple of his tutorials, like here:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...21#post2297821

However, Steam Support has this:
Moving a Steam Installation and Games

There are two ways listed there. One is like what I did with the Steam app and using the Library, putting a 2nd one on a 2nd hard drive. The other is the "manual" way, which appears to be their recommended way of doing it manually, "after-the-fact".

Since you are dealing with a Steam install, I'd wait to install the UBoat Missions add-on until after you do the move. The move takes a ~long~ time. Good luck with it. It is a bother, but if you have multiple hard drives on your computer, using the Library is the way to go. If you don't, then you'll have to do the 2nd method on the Steam page. Good luck with it, and let us know how you get along...

Old 01-18-18, 05:42 PM   #6
chazsi
A-ganger

I have a ton of external hard drives, I'll switch it over to one of those when I get home tonight and see if I can go through the installation of mods again.

I'll update later.
Thanks propbeanie!!
Old 01-18-18, 11:41 PM   #7
propbeanie

I'm not so certain that an external hard drive is a viable option. However, if you have an extra one that is easily removed from the case, put a 2nd hard drive in the computer - unless it's a laptop...

Moving the Library folder isn't so bad, and can be set-up prior to going to sleep at night, and will most likely be done just a couple hours later. If all you have installed is SH4, then it might not be more than an hour. If you're like my kids, where the page scrolls 3 times, it might take the better part of a day...

Old 01-19-18, 07:05 AM   #8
chazsi
A-ganger

THANKS PROPBEANIE

Yes my computer is an Alienware Laptop. Got the files into folders on an external hard drive. All mods from THEBERBSTERS megamod installed and running without a hitch.

Most difficult part of the task was remembering how I overcame the Windows 10 compatibility issues.

Thanks again. Now I'm off to "learn, lose, learn, kill."
Old 01-19-18, 07:19 AM   #9
propbeanie

excellent! Happy Hunting!

Old 01-19-18, 09:04 AM   #10
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

Hi chazi
pb has worked his magic and it is good to hear you are now up and running ok.
Compatibility fixes are in my tutorials if needed.
Peter
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-18, 09:24 AM   #11
propbeanie

Thank you, Peter

Had a girl who wrote a song about me once... Her name was Carly though, not Nancy...
Quote:
Originally Posted by chazsi View Post
... Got the files into folders on an external hard drive...
I should have mentioned why I don't use external drives for programs: Don't forget about the vagaries of USB Drives and Windows' drive letter assignments. While you might have the USB drive as "D:\" today, next time you play, it might be "E:\" and Steam won't find it. I do a bit of audio editing and mixing, and I have two USB "keys" for apps and plug-ins that I move between computers, besides all the memory sticks for data, and my external drives are forever changing letter assignments...