SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters > Sub Command, Fleet Command, & Jane's 688(I)
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-17-12, 12:21 PM   #1
Shearwater
Captain

Downloads: 27
Uploads: 0
Default Original 688(I) campaign for SC?

Sorry if this has been asked before, but has anyone converted the original campaign from Jane's 688(I) to make it playable in Sub Command?
Shearwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-12, 10:11 AM   #2
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 300

I do remember someone converted missions of i688 to Subcommand. Check the SC scenarios at subguru.com

Hmm, they seem to be only the 688i Training Missions. Not campaign or whatever. I never had 688i Hunter Killer, so I don't even know what it was like.
Pisces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-12, 09:13 PM   #3
Hinrich Schwab
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 89

I am unaware of the campaigns being converted. I know that it is a bit of a challenge to do the conversions because of how the newer games handle triggers and of course the difference in units. Likewise, the concepts in some of the old 688i missions may become harder in Sub Command or DW. I know that the stealth training mission is very different in the newer games because of thermal layer processing, for instance.
Hinrich Schwab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-12, 05:50 PM   #4
Shearwater
Captain

Downloads: 27

Thanks for the replies guys.

I think I liked the original campaign of 688(I) because it somehow felt more immersive and, let's be honest, you got to blow up stuff (and even got bonus points for it!) Pretty sure SC is more realistic and less 'gamey' that way, but it just doesn't feel that rewarding.

After posting, I've decided to look a bit into the mission editors of 688 and SC. Even there's an import function in SC, it looks pretty useless at first glance since all the properties get scrambled in the process. Worse still, the mission editor in 688 doesn't display coordinates for objects, which would make manual conversion kind of messy.
So either it's not feasible, or there must be some other way I haven't figured out yet.
Shearwater is offline   Reply With Quote